Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan Decision Not to Take Out RGIII

PlayAction

I'm okay with you disagreeing with me. I know you to be intelligent and fair-minded.

For me, what we're calling the decision here actually began when RG3 started against the Eagles wearing a brace. My position was that if he had to wear a brace he shouldn't have been playing. I would have let the damn thing heal. Screw the season. Protect the NFL's most valuable asset.

That's a fair opinion. I'm sure a relatively healthy Griffin and a 8-or 9-win season would have just about the same feeling of optimism around here.

Both great players and key to success...fair comparison since all week it has been said any injured player shouldn't play.

The Pat's future doesn't rely on their tight end. They did ok without him.

The Redskins future could be harmed severely depending on the recovery of RG3. If it costs him next season, it will really be magnified. We traded a couple of number ones and have not much salary cap or draft picks to boost our team next season. In addition we have to restructure or cut some key players.

I don't think it's a comparison.

Shanahan was crucified (in hindsight) for rushing Griffin back and letting him play with a bad knee.

Patriots rushed back Gronkowski and he re-injured his broken forearm.

Will anyone criticize Belicheat? Probably not.

The difference is that RGIII wasn't just rushed back to play, but that he kept playing AFTER it was plainly obvious that his injury had gotten worse during the game and had diminished his ability even more than when the game started.

Gronk tried to play, got re-hurt, and then was taken out.

In the playoff game Lichtensteiger tried to play hurt, aggravagted the injury and came out.

That type of thing isn't uncommon.

RGIII tried to play hurt, aggravated the injury, AND then kept playing.

**EDIT**

This thread is not titled "Why did Shanahan START RGIII?"

The difference is that RGIII wasn't just rushed back to play, but that he kept playing AFTER it was plainly obvious that his injury had gotten worse during the game and had diminished his ability even more than when the game started.

Gronk tried to play, got re-hurt, and then was taken out.

In the playoff game Lichtensteiger tried to play hurt, aggravagted the injury and came out.

That type of thing isn't uncommon.

RGIII tried to play hurt, aggravated the injury, AND then kept playing.

**EDIT**

This thread is not titled "Why did Shanahan START RGIII?"

All very good points. I posted in this thread because I wanted to raise the topic, but didn't think that it deserved its own thread. And this seemed like the best place to put it.

Gron was healthy before the play and he reinjured and was smart and didn't come back in. No one is talking about the tackle for San Fran. RG3 was an idiot and he should be blamed

Actually Gronk wasn't 100% healthy before the game which is why he was still wearing a forearm brace that was taped over to offer more support for his forearm that broke again anyway. NFL Network mentioned that Gronk spoke with friends that he was concerned about his arm earlier in the week.

The Pat's future doesn't rely on their tight end. They did ok without him.

The Redskins future could be harmed severely depending on the recovery of RG3. If it costs him next season, it will really be magnified. We traded a couple of number ones and have not much salary cap or draft picks to boost our team next season. In addition we have to restructure or cut some key players.

I don't think it's a comparison.

You're 100% right, there's no comparison. RG3 is the future. Gronk is just a TE.

Shanahan was crucified (in hindsight) for rushing Griffin back and letting him play with a bad knee.

Patriots rushed back Gronkowski and he re-injured his broken forearm.

Will anyone criticize Belicheat? Probably not.

I once killed a spider and my girlfriend thanked me. But I bet if I killed her grandma she would have been mad. What a hypocrite!

Comparisons are fun when they don't have to make any sense.

All of this doesn't fall on Shanahan. Griffin III is responsible as well. Griffin III insisted to Shanahan that he wanted to continue to play. Shanahan's only failing was not overruling Griffin III. You have to question Shanahan's decision to allow Griffin III to keep playing from an offensive standpoint of how the offense wasn't generating much production at all with Griffin III still in the game. That's reason enough to sit Griffin III down and put Kirk Cousins in the game.

All of this doesn't fall on Shanahan. Griffin III is responsible as well. Griffin III insisted to Shanahan that he wanted to continue to play. Shanahan's only failing was not overruling Griffin III. You have to question Shanahan's decision to allow Griffin III to keep playing from an offensive standpoint of how the offense wasn't generating much production at all with Griffin III still in the game. That's reason enough to sit Griffin III down and put Kirk Cousins in the game.

You really think Griffin was going to insist Shanahan in a playoff game that he couldn't play anymore. You think Brady, Brees, Rodgers or Manning would do that? First year or 10th year, if you're a competitor, you always want to compete, especially when everything is on the line and you worked and clawed to get there

You really think Griffin was going to insist Shanahan in a playoff game that he couldn't play anymore. You think Brady, Brees, Rodgers or Manning would do that? First year or 10th year, if you're a competitor, you always want to compete, especially when everything is on the line and you worked and clawed to get there

No RGIII wasn't coming out on his own, that's the problem. He's a 22 year old kid, he doesn't know any better. The coach needed to pull him. Not only is he our first round pick, but there have been several first round picks invested in him. It may all go down the toilet now. I'm confident he can come back, but I'm not totally banking on it. A lot of us fans have blind optimism that he his return to form is 100% in guaranteed. He just had his 2nd surgery on the knee he plants on. I know a lot of media outlets seem to paint a grim and sometimes unfair picture of the situation, but a lot of them are right.....Shanny botched this and put this team's future at severe risk.

You could second guess Belicheck for playing Gronk. But there's two main differences in their situations. First, which has been mentioned - franchise QB does not equal tight end, no matter how good that tight end might be (and he's damn good, obviously). But secondly, and more importantly, a broken forearm is nowhere near as dangerous a long term injury than anything involving the knee.

I don't know if this has been discussed in this thread yet but here is an interesting perspective from Griffin's quarterback coach at Baylor Terry Shea.

Among other things he says he's not surprised Shanhan missed Griffin's injury due to his perspective on the sidelines and it's better for him to have hurt his right knee than his left. check it out.

http://redskins.espn980.com/bloggers/chris-russell/item/818-shea-on-shanahan-%E2%80%9Cyou-just-can%E2%80%99t-see-it-on-the-sideline%E2%80%9D

I don't know if this has been discussed in this thread yet but here is an interesting perspective from Griffin's quarterback coach at Baylor Terry Shea.

Among other things he says he's not surprised Shanhan missed Griffin's injury due to his perspective on the sidelines and it's better for him to have hurt his right knee than his left. check it out.

http://redskins.espn980.com/bloggers/chris-russell/item/818-shea-on-shanahan-%E2%80%9Cyou-just-can%E2%80%99t-see-it-on-the-sideline%E2%80%9D

Glad to read this, because I felt the same way sitting in endzone dream seats for the game. I honestly didn't even know RG3 was hurt when my friend came back from a halftime break saying "people in the bathroom are saying RG3 is hurt". I was like "really?". Granted, it became more obvious later in the game, but it's not immediately apparent from field-level, and certainly not anywhere near as obvious as the TV coverage.

Yeah, just read that. Still doesn't explain why no one in the press box could have given Shanahan the message that RG3 didn't look good, since it seemed bloody obvious to everyone else in the stadium that he wasn't right.

Course, the other thing that should have tipped him off was the 25 yards of passing in two quarters. Given what happened, shouldn't there have been some extra scrutiny on RG3's health.

Archived