Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Talk About Our Safeties - 2012 and Beyond

skinny21

I have questions about our safety situation going forward and so I'm starting this thread to get the conversation going.

I didn't find a relevant enough thread pertaining to our current and future safety situation (though I did see a good debate in the 2013 Comprehensive Draft thread)... so here we go.

I'm curious as to people's thoughts on our safety position for this year, next year, and beyond.

Anyone know how the coaches feel about Williams? I've been frequently sickened by his play, but he has made some good plays for us since the bye. Is he getting more comfortable in the system? Is the coaching staff simply utilizing their players better or trying to hide their weaknesses? Is he still consistently terrible outside of the handful of positives I've noticed? Is he a guy we bring back to battle with Jackson/Draft Pick/Bernstine (or is he more of a SS type?)?

What about Pugh? I haven't really noticed his play, positive or negative.

I'm concerned that we don't have a viable FS on the team. A higher tier safety draft pick or FA pickup could do wonders, but is that enough? Do we even have a #2 that we can count on? Jackson is the most promising, but with his issues I don't think you can rely on him. He'd be more like icing on the cake if he could contribute, and the team needs to treat it that way. Bottom line, we have a bunch of question marks and we desperately need better coverage back there.

So, both our slated starters have issues/concerns with availability and ability. On top of that, Bernstine's injury situation concerns me, and we don't really know what we've got with him anyway. Madieu and Pugh's play concerns me, and Gomes and Doughty are obviously not Free Safeties.

Speaking of Doughty and Gomes... strong safety is another question mark. Meriweather could work out, but if he doesn't, I would rather a different alternative than Doughty/Gomes as our starter. Again, perhaps Bernstine snags a spot, but it's risky.

I think most would agree that FS and RT are our top priorities (corner as a close third?), but it seems like SS needs to be addressed as well.

So, do we draft an early round FS and a mid-late round SS? Maybe even a late round flyer on a second FS? Or do we address one or both in FA?

I doubt we roll the dice with who we have, though maybe we keep some or most. So, how do we address it?

I'd love to pick up Byrd in FA

Exactly my thoughts. Sign Byrd, and draft a DB and S in the draft. Would love to get Vaccarro but it won't happen unless we trade up.

I doubt the Skins have the money to pull that off. Thanks again Mara

Restructure a few contracts and release a couple of guys and we should be able too. Have to remember that DC is finally a desirable place to play again, so luring a FA might not be as tough as before.

We aren't in terrible shape overall if we stay put. Merriweather could be back, Hall (if he restructures), Minnifield hopefully works out, Rak and AK will be back, etc. Our D hopefully stays healthy next year and we go back to being a top 10 D.

Exactly my thoughts. Sign Byrd, and draft a DB and S in the draft. Would love to get Vaccarro but it won't happen unless we trade up.

Vaccarro is definitley gone in the 1st, and its not like we'll have a high 2nd. We don't have a ton of cap space, but we should have enough to make at least one splash (a la garcon this year)

I think Tanard Jackson will be back in the fold. Assuming he can stay off the green, he'll be an upgrade at S. I still think we need to use one of our draft picks on a safety though. One guy that I really like is Shamarko Thomas out of Syracuse. He SHOULD be on the board by the time we pick in rounds 2/3.

I'm ok short term with Merriweather as our SS solution. I don't think he has significant injury history so hopefully this year is a fluke. Draft a FS in the second round and you improve our D a ton.
I think Tanard Jackson will be back in the fold. Assuming he can stay off the green, he'll be an upgrade at S. I still think we need to use one of our draft picks on a safety though. One guy that I really like is Shamarko Thomas out of Syracuse. He SHOULD be on the board by the time we pick in rounds 2/3.

I think these two guys could provide us with a decent to good safety tandem, but they both have fairly serious availability concerns. I'd like them both back, but I think we need to have 2 more potential starters in the mix to feel comfortable bringing them back.

Is it just me, or have you guys noticed this improvement in play since the by? I feel like the safeties are now more concerned with coverages than "Big Hits". Our tackling and coverages have improved ever since "Dirty 30" has left. Maybe we don't have the big name players with the highlite footages.... but we are not hearing alot of name calling for missed reads lately either.

I as just talking about this last night.

The two free safeties that would be FA that were brought to me were Byrd from the Bills and Mundy from the Steelers.

If we can't get either one of them, I rather just stick with Tanard Jackson and Bearnstine and drafting somebody.

With the SS, I would just stick with Merriweather and Doughty unless there is somebody out there worth getting that is better than those two.

I agree w/ Jackson and Meriweather. Jackson has to get reinstated and Meriweather I think can stay healthy. Bit I think we'd have to do some front office wrangling. Not sure but I thought they both were on 1 yr contracts. Neither was anywhere near breaking the bank or cracking a safe cap wise. Money is tight but we all know D.Hall is going to have to renegotiate or leave. That'll bring us some relief. But you still have to decide on Davis plus isn't Rak up? Pugh has been serviceable as has been Gomes. Reed does enough and is versatile enough to stick around at least one more season.

http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/rambo_bacarri00.html

This is who the Skins need to target with their 2nd rounder in April. If he is gone, there will be other guys avail, but he would instantly improve the secondary.

That would be absolutely awesome - I would be more than happy to have a safety named "Rambo." It will also be interesting to see how far Tyrann Mathieu falls in the draft. He is another talented kid and considering how highly Shanahan considers character, if we were to draft him I'd have to believe he'd convinced Shanny that he's a good kid.

I think Meriweather and Jackson are two very solid players at safety. In fact, when healthy and everything, they aren't just fill ins, they are actually very talented and difference makers. They have both shown that during their careers. But given Meriweather's knee and that he may not come back 100% right away and who knows what will happen with Jackson, I would be very surprised if we didn't address at least one of the safety positions in a big way.

Bruce is a cap/contract genius and if Byrd does not re-sign with Buffalo, I expect and hope for us to go after him very hard. We can make it work. If we were to get him, he may be the only big FA signing we could afford, but I think it would be more than worth it. He's a young, game-changing safety and our defense needs one.

While we could definitely use an upgrade at RT, I'm much less concerned with that. We've shown to still be a great offense this year with the current O-line and I have faith that guys like Compton, Hurt, LeRibeus and Gettis will start filling in next year and will be talented guys. Shanahan will also undoubtedly draft another linemen or two this year. Safety and Corner is where we really "need" an upgrade.

Jackson is not eligible to apply for reinstatement until the end of August 2013. So he wil miss the full offseason including preseason.

Even if you trust him not to screw up again - and I don't - I think it virtually impossible to tie up a roster spot for a guy who will need several weeks to get in football shape and totally impossible to pencil that guy in as a starter. We will need to find a FS somewhere in free agency.

I think we will count on Merriweather at SS - he looked very good in the brief action he had.

This draft is deep at the safety spot as well along with O'Line and D'Line.

I could see counting on Meriweather moving forward.

Skins still need to go pretty much ALL defense in the draft. I'd expect a FS or two to be picked up in April

:2cents:

---------- Post added January-5th-2013 at 12:25 PM ----------

Jackson is not eligible to apply for reinstatement until the end of August 2013. So he wil miss the full offseason including preseason.

Even if you trust him not to screw up again - and I don't - I think it virtually impossible to tie up a roster spot for a guy who will need several weeks to get in football shape and totally impossible to pencil that guy in as a starter. We will need to find a FS somewhere in free agency.

I think we will count on Merriweather at SS - he looked very good in the brief action he had.

This draft is deep at the safety spot as well along with O'Line and D'Line.

It sure would be nice to have Tanard back into the fold, he is a tremendous talent with plenty of upside, but I would imagine the FO views him as a potential luxury at this point. Too many "ifs" surround that guy for the Skins to count on him, but I bet you they have not given up on him entirely. He is starter material and it's a longshot, but "if" he cleans up his act he is a long term answer at FS.

I would love to sign Byrd, but I have a feeling the Bills will reach an agreement or franchise him. He would be a huuuuuge difference maker. I'm sure we will also draft a safety in the 2nd or 3rd round. This is a deep safety draft. I know we will be better prepared for this bs $18 mil cap hit this upcoming year....lots of restructuring and smart contracts will be devised for free agents. Our front office is great with the cap/contracts.

Reed Doughty played his ass off against the Cowboys ,gotta give props where it's due. Reed and Logan were playing superbowl ball against the Cowardboys

Reed's hit where he took out both the fullback and tailback was absolutely outstanding. One of the best hits I've seen all year.

---------- Post added January-5th-2013 at 03:47 PM ----------

We could PUP list him and get him back week 6...

We could PUP list him and get him back week 6...

I suspect we would get a roster exemption for Jackson for a couple or 3 weeks - but its just hard to see us counting on him as being a starter under just about any circumstances. If you bring him back I think you still have to go out and get a projected starter elsewhere and think of Jackson as quality depth IF he can clean his act up. Personally I think it is a long shot he is on any NFL roster next season.

http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/rambo_bacarri00.html

This is who the Skins need to target with their 2nd rounder in April. If he is gone, there will be other guys avail, but he would instantly improve the secondary.

Personally I would prefer Eric Reid (FS LSU) over Rambo. Scouts are saying both will be available in the second round but after the combine I believe Reid's stock will raise him into the first. I would not be opposed to trading up for him either...:2cents:

Archived