Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Talk About Our Safeties - 2012 and Beyond

skinny21

For once, a thread where next year's draft talk is a luxury and not a necessity (because there's nothing else to talk about). I like Crawford. Of course, I said that in preseason. I'm hopeful about Minnifield's knee, but really, we need to use that 2nd rounder on a corner. There are a couple I could see, though this is simply based on others' reports, that we could take with the 32nd pick in the 2nd round. ;-> While I can see drafting a sleeper TE late, with Davis coming back, and our great rookie crop gaining a year's experience, and hopefully the development of Le Ribs, Gettis, and Compton, I would have no problem drafting all D. Load up on secondary and an ILB (though I don't see why Jackson can't take that position when Orakpo comes back).

For once, a thread where next year's draft talk is a luxury and not a necessity (because there's nothing else to talk about). I like Crawford. Of course, I said that in preseason. I'm hopeful about Minnifield's knee, but really, we need to use that 2nd rounder on a corner. There are a couple I could see, though this is simply based on others' reports, that we could take with the 32nd pick in the 2nd round. ;-> While I can see drafting a sleeper TE late, with Davis coming back, and our great rookie crop gaining a year's experience, and hopefully the development of Le Ribs, Gettis, and Compton, I would have no problem drafting all D. Load up on secondary and an ILB (though I don't see why Jackson can't take that position when Orakpo comes back).

Yeah, corner is a bit of a priority as well, but we have more question marks at safety. Obviously, if corner is easily the BPA over safety and tackle then that's fine.

A later round TE is fine, though they'd likely be a practice squad player at best (assuming Fred re-signs). I don't see a late round guy beating out any of our current players, at least not in training camp/preseason.

I don't think we've seen enough of Jackson's coverage to know if he could move to the middle. I've only noticing handling coverage near the LOS. I could see him and Orakpo in at the same time though in certain situations (similar to the way the G-men play).

If the coaches aren't happy with any of our current guys at FS, then I think that has to be addressed. Jackson was a 1 year deal, might not be reinstated, might toke up again, and likely won't be in football shape by the start of the season. Bottom line, we can't rely on him (although I like his potential).

Doughty and Gomes could fill in if Meriweather lands on the PUP, or isn't quite ready for the season opener, though I wouldn't mind adding a guy with more upside than those two.

i say hell no on tanard jackson. you cant trust that guy. and its not like he was playing like a stud during camp/preseason. I love byrd like everyone else but I think he will get franchised....dashon goldson is a FA but I think he will either resign w/ SF or get franchised also. i say we draft a couple guys, pick up someone cheap in FA, and continue grooming the young guys on the squad like bernstine.

Ok, so do we trust Jackson to fly straight going into next season or still look for better insurance policies?

He can't be reinstated until well after camp starts, I think the earliest he can come back is in August of something. Simply put, you cannot include him in your plans, to do so would be inviting disaster.

If Jairus Byrd somehow escapes to FA, or a good FS drops to us in the draft, we need to jump on that. Even if Jackson came back and we had two starting caliber FS on the roster, it's not a problem, considering the rate at which our players in the secondary dropped due to injury this year.

Personally I would prefer Eric Reid (FS LSU) over Rambo. Scouts are saying both will be available in the second round but after the combine I believe Reid's stock will raise him into the first. I would not be opposed to trading up for him either...:2cents:

Reid can play too, I'd love to take either guy in the 2nd round. I don't know if trading up is the answer for the Skins with limited top picks to work with.

:2cents:

I'm definitely fine with keeping Merriweather as the starting SS. I'd like to get a new FS in free agency... Jarius Byrd if possible... Dashon Goldson would be a good fit. There also appears to be some quality corners on the market as well, but i believe if we can land a FS that can cover the field, it will help greatly in coverage, at the very least prevent the big play the Skins have been prone to.

Not a safety, but MAYBE he can make the conversion as a pro. What about taking a flyer on Tyrann Mathieu? He's undersized and has had A LOT of problems in the past. Shanny isn't adverse to taking a chance on guys like this, and if he's therei n the 6th or 7th round, I wouldn't be mad at the Skins bringing him in as either a CB or trying to convert him to a S. He's a flat out ball-hawk and playmaker.

So, Given our defensive improvement, are Williams and/or Pugh playing better in coverage? Could we trust one of them to come back as a backup next year? I know Williams has been rightfully vilified, but is he getting more comfortable? I remember Josh Wilson saying something about it taking him a good portion of last year before he began to react instead of having to think and then react. Is this the case with Williams/Pugh?

I know his age is a problem and I know he seems to get hurt quite a bit but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in bringing in one of the best free safeties in NFL history in Ed Reed. He will be a free agent this year and Baltimore will propably have to franchise Flacco leaving Reed free to sign elsewhere. I'm not sure how I feel about it. His leadership skills are off the charts and he has played pretty well this year but on the other hand a player of his stature would propably command a pretty big contract even though his career is close to being over. I doubt that he would come cheap but I wouldn't mind having him as a starting FS will the Redskins groom a young draft pick behind him.

I know his age is a problem and I know he seems to get hurt quite a bit but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in bringing in one of the best free safeties in NFL history in Ed Reed. He will be a free agent this year and Baltimore will propably have to franchise Flacco leaving Reed free to sign elsewhere. I'm not sure how I feel about it. His leadership skills are off the charts and he has played pretty well this year but on the other hand a player of his stature would propably command a pretty big contract even though his career is close to being over. I doubt that he would come cheap but I wouldn't mind having him as a starting FS will the Redskins groom a young draft pick behind him.

Reed is ancient, but even if he escaped we probably couldn't afford him, nor should we considering we probably would only get a year or so out of him. And I have to imagine, if he's taking an age discount in order to stay in the league, he'd give it to Baltimore before he'd give it to us.

Archived