Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Email sent into ESPN insider Matthew Berry (Redskins Related)

I Miss Taylor_21

I came across this email that Matthew felt the need to advertise and I just had to share it with you all. I enjoyed his response to the individual.

((Here is the link-http://espn.go.com/fantasy/football/story/_/page/TMR121227/matthew-berry-love-hate-fantasy-football-sleepers-busts-week-17-fantasy-football-rankings)

"(Name withheld): Matthew, I've joined the nation! I am a lifelong Steelers fan that is fed up with the garbage that team has put on the field the last two years. I am now officially a Redskins fan. I lived in the DC area for a while, I love RG3 (I did when he was at Baylor too), I'm all in! Can I get a shout out on the podcast as the newest member of the Nation! Hail to the Redskins! Hail victory!

I printed this email because it is rare that 81 words can be so wrong on so many levels. First, no, you are not a lifelong Steelers fan. Anyone who is a lifelong Steelers fan doesn't bail. Steelers fans are among the most passionate, loyal and hardcore fan bases out there. And a lifelong Steelers fan loves his team and couldn't possibly be swayed to join another team. On behalf of actual lifelong Steelers fans, I'm offended.

Second, I'm not sure you understand football. "Garbage that team has put out the last two years." Heading into Week 17 this year, Pittsburgh is 19-12 the last two years, including a playoff spot last year. They've had tough injury luck the last two years but most fan bases would love a 19-12 record over two years. It's only because the franchise has been so excellent that anyone could consider the past two years any sort of disappointment. It's insane.

I'm a lifelong Redskins fan. I've certainly had many more years when it would have made sense to bail. But I never did. Because I can't. It's in my blood. My DNA. I can't not root for them, even if I tried. Ingrained in me since I was 5 years old living in Virginia. I will die a Redskins fan. It is what it is. That's what being a lifelong fan means.

You seem a nice enough person and as you know, RG III is my favorite player in the NFL, so I'll take all the positive vibes I can get this Sunday for the Washington-Dallas game. But man, go back to the Steelers, if they'll have you."

Bandwagon season is in full effect:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck

that is funny.

Yeah... I can't remember who it was, but someone posted that they went up to someone in Florida wearing an RG3 jersey and asked how they liked the game or something like that and the dude just looked at him... I love the success this team has started having and it makes all of these years of living and (mostly) dying with them worth it... but it's going to take some getting used to stuff like this. We are used to a world where if you are rocking BnG, you are a true fan. Especially given the success of the team... now, now we get to deal with the "casual" cats. I'll take em, we all start out casual, but I can sniff out the weak one's in a second.

I Love the response. That's what it means to be a fan. You stick with your team during the 5-11 and 6-10 disasters because THAT is what makes THIS moment so sweet. If you are just jumping onboard you have NO idea the hell we as Skins fans have been through. This moment is just hype to you. To us, to me, it's incredible. I love the feeling I get when I think that this team actually has a chance to be something great again. The person who wrote that has no clue. I hate bandwagon fans. Stick with your team no matter what and then you'll know what it's like when they turn it around and start winning.

I came across this email that Matthew felt the need to advertise and I just had to share it with you all. I enjoyed his response to the individual.

((Here is the link-http://espn.go.com/fantasy/football/story/_/page/TMR121227/matthew-berry-love-hate-fantasy-football-sleepers-busts-week-17-fantasy-football-rankings)

"(Name withheld): Matthew, I've joined the nation! I am a lifelong Steelers fan that is fed up with the garbage that team has put on the field the last two years. I am now officially a Redskins fan. I lived in the DC area for a while, I love RG3 (I did when he was at Baylor too), I'm all in! Can I get a shout out on the podcast as the newest member of the Nation! Hail to the Redskins! Hail victory!

I printed this email because it is rare that 81 words can be so wrong on so many levels. First, no, you are not a lifelong Steelers fan. Anyone who is a lifelong Steelers fan doesn't bail. Steelers fans are among the most passionate, loyal and hardcore fan bases out there. And a lifelong Steelers fan loves his team and couldn't possibly be swayed to join another team. On behalf of actual lifelong Steelers fans, I'm offended.

Second, I'm not sure you understand football. "Garbage that team has put out the last two years." Heading into Week 17 this year, Pittsburgh is 19-12 the last two years, including a playoff spot last year. They've had tough injury luck the last two years but most fan bases would love a 19-12 record over two years. It's only because the franchise has been so excellent that anyone could consider the past two years any sort of disappointment. It's insane.

I'm a lifelong Redskins fan. I've certainly had many more years when it would have made sense to bail. But I never did. Because I can't. It's in my blood. My DNA. I can't not root for them, even if I tried. Ingrained in me since I was 5 years old living in Virginia. I will die a Redskins fan. It is what it is. That's what being a lifelong fan means.

You seem a nice enough person and as you know, RG III is my favorite player in the NFL, so I'll take all the positive vibes I can get this Sunday for the Washington-Dallas game. But man, go back to the Steelers, if they'll have you."

Bandwagon season is in full effect:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck

Steeler fans are not that die hard dude. I live an hour from Pittsburgh, they are the biggest fair-weather fans in the world. If the STeelers are doing good they shove it down everyones throat and talk more smack then any fan base in the world. They will travel with the team and try to invade opposing teams stadiums. HOWEVER, if the Steelers are doing bad, you wont hear a peep. So funny how today (Friday) is always the day where Steeler fans are allowed to wear a Steeler jersey at work instead of the usual suit/casual clothing, yet why is no one wearing one today, when they ALWAYS wore them all year? Its because as soon as the Steelers got knocked out of the playoffs, the fair-weather fans stopped being fans.

75% of Steeler fans are just fair-weather fans. Trust me. Before Roethlisberger, you would never see a Steeler Jersey, then after his rookie year, everyone was claiming to be a "fan". Just trust me on this.

*Edited for bad spelling and still am unsure if I spelled Roethlisberger correctly :)

Just trust me on this.

Based on what I see in the Northern VA area I have long suspected this but could never prove it. Not that this proves it (no offense) but it's great insight. I use to go to Glory Days or name any other bar in Ashburn to watch the game and there would be so FEW Skins fans that the would be showing the Steelers game on the big screen and the skins would be on one of the little TV's off to the side. WTF??? Lots of Black Jerseys and annoyingly loud mouth drunken steelers fans. Go back to the same bars and have a look around. I love the silence from them but I will admit I see a bunch of skins fans I've never seen before as well lol.

Steeler fans are not that die hard dude. I live an hour from Pittsburgh, they are the biggest fair-weather fans in the world. If the STeelers are doing good they shove it down everyones throat and talk more smack then any fan base in the world. They will travel with the team and try to invade opposing teams stadiums. HOWEVER, if the Steelers are doing bad, you wont hear a peep. So funny how today (Friday) is always the day where Steeler fans are allowed to wear a Steeler jersey at work instead of the usual suit/casual clothing, yet why is no one wearing one today, when they ALWAYS wore them all year? Its because as soon as the Steelers got knocked out of the playoffs, the fair-weather fans stopped being fans.

75% of Steeler fans are just fair-weather fans. Trust me. Before Roethlisberger, you would never see a Steeler Jersey, then after his rookie year, everyone was claiming to be a "fan". Just trust me on this.

*Edited for bad spelling and still am unsure if I spelled Roethlisberger correctly :)

I will agree with this, Steeler fans are not as hardcore as they are made out to be, I have seen Steelers fans pop up out the blue after not even realizing that individual knew what a football was.

I agree with the whole bandwagon thing. I have been a die hard as long as I have been able to be one, going on 40+ years. I was out doing some last minute Christmas shopping last Sunday morning, I had more people comment on my ball cap (noting the 3 championships) than I ever have before. One woman even asked me if Gibson would be playing that day. Gibson? She says, you know RG3... I was like oh yeah, Gibson is playing. I had another say I hope we win today, I says me too... He goes, "who are we playing?" /facepalm. The bandwagoning has started, and it is here to stay my friends..

I will agree with this, Steeler fans are not as hardcore as they are made out to be, I have seen Steelers fans pop up out the blue after not even realizing that individual knew what a football was.

This year it has been quite funny actually. A couple of my "Steeler fan" friends have been all uppity on facebook about how their team has been playing. I'll add that both are from VA, claiming some distant relative is a fan, but I digress.

The one steeler fan which is a girl has been ****ing and moaning the last few weeks until finally she publicly denounced her fandom, then posted a picture of all her steeler garb trying to sell it. Very funny, a lot of people gave her a hard time for it. The guy that I know posed a question as a status after the Bengals game about whether or not they should trade Big Ben. Trade Big Ben?! I don't like Big Ben very much, but where the hell are you gonna find somebody better?! Go to the franchise QB store? Steelers fans are clueless.

I don't know how die hard Steeler fans really are. Any Steeler fan under the age of 45 has never really been tested. They have had back-to-back non-winning seasons exactly twice in the past 40 years. They've literally been the most successful team in the Superbowl era.

The fact that a 12-4 season followed by a 7-8 season is considered 'garbage' just boggles my mind. The Redskins haven't been even that successful in back-to-back seasons in 20 years. Literally 20 years.

So maybe Steeler fans are die hard. But we can't know. They are the most spoiled fans in professional football. Let them suck for a decade or two and then get back to me.

I DO know that I am a die hard fan. Because I'm still here.

That is all.

As I've told everyone before, bandwagon fans are a double edged sword. No, none of us who have been fans for the majority of their lives (I was 5 when I became a fan) really understand the reasoning behind abandoning the team you first chose. However, the only teams that do not have bandwagon fans are those that are not winning. You don't see anyone new jumping on board with the Jaguars, Browns, or Cardinals. There were no bandwagon fans jumping on board with us over the past 5 years (some were when Coach Gibbs came back.)

So in closing, if we have to suffer with bandwagon fans to mean we're winning, I say welcome new fans and I hope you're fans for a loooooong time.

The skins being so terrible over the last two decades has caused tears to be shed and damage to walls, couches etc. If I come across someone who claims to be a fan but isn't die-hard, I won't even discuss the Redskins with him.

Us die-hards put in the work. We EARNED AND WILLED a guy like RGIII to come to Washington. We aren't just hopping on because Washington got RGIII ... we made it happen!

I will be the first to admit that steelers fans are spoiled. When youve had such a long run of winning seasons it makes it hard to accept a losing one. I can also tell you that YES we do have a boat load of band wagon fans. I for one can say that i am a die-hard fan. If we dont win another game for sometime, ill still be wearing my black & gold every day! Hell i'm wearing it right now! I cant stand band wagoners and can say that ive seen a whole lot more redskins fans here in the past couple weeks. The wife and i were just talking about this last nite. But as soon as you start talking to these "new" fans you can tell who is true, and who is fake!! I wish you guys luck this Sunday nite, and hope you kick the boy's *****! Ill be pulling hard for yall.

I'm one of the many skins fans who have had to endure the past twenty years.

I've always known ill die a redskins fan its just in my DNA as the author said.

But something I've told many people over the years is that when the redskins start winning again if someone comes up to me and calls me a bandwagon fan I swear I'm gonna knock some of his teeth out.

Archived