Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VIDEO: Rob Parker Questions RGIII "Is he a brother or is he a cornball brother?"

AVTizzle

I just about fell out of my chair when I read this article. I mean, ignorant people say dumb **** all the time in the media, but this takes the cake and runs away with it. First of all, the notion that a 48 year old man is calling out a 22 year old for being too respectable, too vanilla--no pun intended--is hysterical. The fact that the rallying cry behind these comments is a call to arms for this black public figure to get "down with the cause"--if such a thing stills exists in a world with a re-elected black president and an entertainment industry dominated by African-American role models--is just downright backwards.

Hey, Rob Parker, if the "cause" you're referring to is the same as the NAACP--you know, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People--FYI: RG3 is the pinnacle of your efforts. The dude is loved by everybody--he's become an overnight cultural icon. And his popularity has nothing to do with being black, and what I mean is he wasn't the first black person to do this, or the first black person to do that. His popularity has everything to do with his talent, his hard work, and above all else, his character and maturity.

Point is, RG3 is living in adult-world, and Parker--a man more than twice his age--is hanging with the kids playing dress-up. If Parker's idea of the "cause" is to propagate a specific hip-hop/urban culture considered to be uniquely "black"--and I think that's what he's implying--I got news for ya, buddy: dressing up and acting like you're in the Woo-Tang Clan doesn't legitimize your ethnicity--it just makes you look immature. Sagging your pants, wearing over-sized clothes, and speaking like you haven't been taught the English language doesn't make you appear tough or cool--it just makes you look silly, and certainly not intelligent. Maybe Parker just likes his football players to have a little edge, be intimidating; you know, pack some heat in their sweat pants when they roll into the club, or train dogs to fight and kill one another. That's fine. While you and your homies are hanging out, pretending that you're in a Jay-Z video, RG3 will be in the film room, preparing to win a Super Bowl.

Most likely, Rob Parker is simply a hater, and can't help but rock the boat. He certainly succeeded at portraying himself as an ignorant, angry black man. Hey, at least he's down with the cause.

HAIL

http://strawberryblunt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Jay-Z-Big-Pimpin.png

bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/7216000/ngbbs43933096ef7ad.jpg

http://i.qkme.me/35tp7o.jpg

A couple thoughts:

1. I'm not exactly infuriated by this, I watch it and I think, "nope, you're not allowed to talk like that anymore. Luckily, almost everyone agrees with me, and surely he will be disciplined harshly, and posibly even terminated." I wonder though, that if no one was outraged, based solely on the fact that their disapproval was now mainstream, would that serve to allow the bad behavior to continue, or would people who made offensive and ignorant statements still be properly punished for their actions?

2. I'm curious if RG3s decision to keep his political beliefs private are based on an actual desire for privacy, or a desire to not alienate a portion of the market interested in buying products he endorses. He is one of the leagues more marketable stars, and he has shown business acumen trademarking catchphrases, and getting the league to allow him to use the roman numeral on the back of his jersey. The kid is clearly, whether we like it or not, interested in not only be a great quarterback, but also, furthering his brand, and as Michael Jordan once said, "republicans buy shoes too." (by the way, I know I've only really made the case for that it was a business decision, but I think the former is totally plausible as well.)

3. Is "cornball brother" a real idiom, or did Rob Parker just make up his own "euphemistic" version of a different offensive term? I've never heard it. Of course, I don't really hang out with the types people who would use it if it was real. So I'm just curious.

Where's that GIF of RG3 prancing around after scoring on the Vikings?

He is many things. I can't put any kind of label on him. He's not a bro, he isn't a wannabe gangsta, he's just a truly cool person that's impossible to fit into a stereotype, as hard as hack writers try.

2. I'm curious if RG3s decision to keep his political beliefs private are based on an actual desire for privacy, or a desire to not alienate a portion of the market interested in buying products he endorses. He is one of the leagues more marketable stars, and he has shown business acumen trademarking catchphrases, and getting the league to allow him to use the roman numeral on the back of his jersey. The kid is clearly, whether we like it or not, interested in not only be a great quarterback, but also, furthering his brand, and as Michael Jordan once said, "republicans buy shoes too." (by the way, I know I've only really made the case for that it was a business decision, but I think the former is totally plausible as well.)

I think it's a little of both. He's an entertainer as it stands right now, do we really want to get into politics when we're all trying to enjoy the Redskins? I don't want to, personally. I respect and appreciate the decision to get down to football business first and foremost. He also isn't going to allow the media to get him to say that he is, essentially, playing only for or primarily for one group or another, political, racial, or otherwise. He's not going to do it, and I love that. He's playing for every fan of the Redskins, and that's where it ends.

Seriously, does it matter if RG3 acts black enough for some people? Who determines if he is acting black enough? Is there a committee?

Who cares how the man votes, too? Why are there so many people out there so little reasoning ability that they look to celebrities for how they should vote?

How does this ESPN fool have a job if this is the best analysis that he can bring to the table?

I think it's a little of both. He's an entertainer as it stands right now, do we really want to get into politics when we're all trying to enjoy the Redskins? I don't want to, personally. I respect and appreciate the decision to get down to football business first and foremost. He also isn't going to allow the media to get him to say that he is, essentially, playing only for or primarily for one group or another, political, racial, or otherwise. He's not going to do it, and I love that. He's playing for every fan of the Redskins, and that's where it ends.

Yes, I too don't particularly want any political issues clouding my experience of the most exciting Redskin I've ever seen. I was just curious what people would guess on the why question. And I realize, that on one level it's a ridiculous question, because the only possible honest answer is, "well, I don't know." but I think asking questions like that often generate interesting responses.

Yes, I too don't particularly want any political issues clouding my experience of the most exciting Redskin I've ever seen. I was just curious what people would guess on the why question. And I realize, that on one level it's a ridiculous question, because the only possible honest answer is, "well, I don't know." but I think asking questions like that often generate interesting responses.

It's also possible that, at his age, he's not really thinking a lot about politics, which is fine with me.

I've always liked Rob Parker. These comments are just plain ignorant and don't further the discussion on race in any way. Is he black enough? The topic is confounding and racist in and of itself but one that's been had for many generations in the African American community. The fact that its nationally aired and discussed amongst all to see is what's eye/ear catching. Hopefully, more people will realize how stupid they sound when they talk like this, and that's one good thing to come of it. I'm interested to see how and if he addresses it.

@TonyDungy

ESPNs Rob Parker may have HS the worst commentary I have ever heard concerning Robert Griffin III. Not sure how ESPN can defend it!

go Tony!!! I am glad that everyone it seems, except those that work at ESPN, are blasting not only Parker but ESPN for these comments. This will only fire RG3 up more, I just hope he knows how much the Redskins fans and the DMV love and support him

This man owes RGIII an apology, to question him because he has a white girlfriend and for '"maybe" being a Republican and the biggest insult IMO is calling

him a " cornball brother" is inexcusable. Parker being African American should know more than anyone what its like to be a victim of racism and to turn around

and slander RGIII who has been a model NFL star and a role model for all people is an absolute travesty. ESPN needs to step in here because their reputation

had been severely tarnished. I don't care if he is African American, that doesn't give him the right to pass judgments on others of his own race!!!

Archived