Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which is more popular: NBA or Major League Baseball?

endzone_dave

The World Series just had its lowest tv ratings ever and for the last three years, the NBA Finals have had higher tv ratings than the World Series.

My personal belief is that MLB is becoming a niche sport. I'm a huge Cubs fan and like watching the Nats some but that's all I really care about. I have no desire to watch the Yankees play the Red Sox 500 times every year or watch the World Series. Spending half the game watching batters step out of the box adjusting their wrist guards gets old. The game has slowed down to a crawl. The last WS game was only 4-3 and took 3 1/2 hours.

I look forward to the NBA playoffs though, it seems more exciting, especially the finals.

Well this year's Finals had Lebron vs. Durant, the two best players in the league facing off. Had it been like Spurs/Pacers the ratings would have tanked.

I love the tension of the MLB playoffs, especially when your team is in it. NBA Playoffs until you get to like the Conf. Finals are boring.

Ratings aren't everything. Remember, NBA Finals are on in June when nothing is on TV. The World Series has to compete with primetime weeknight television and Sunday Night Football. Also, this year's World Series was very one sided.

It's the NBA. They have a more exciting brand and they have better marketing.

But you hit the nail on the head with the NBA Playoffs. I think they have the best playoffs. (Even though the NHL playoffs could get crazy at times)

Another thing is, people play basketball more than baseball. I think it is easier to follow a sport that you play(ed) than one that you haven't played that much.

Baseball is a territory sport IMO only people in NY, St. Louis, Boston, Philly, Chicago, Detroit and maybe three or four other cities that I can't think of really give a damn. I used to like all of the major sports, but I've regressed to only football because with the rest only like 5 teams have a true shot at championships and that's just not exciting to me. I guess basketball would be in second place for the rest of the country.

The World Series just had its lowest tv ratings ever and for the last three years, the NBA Finals have had higher tv ratings than the World Series.

My personal belief is that MLB is becoming a niche sport. I'm a huge Cubs fan and like watching the Nats some but that's all I really care about. I have no desire to watch the Yankees play the Red Sox 500 times every year or watch the World Series. Spending half the game watching batters step out of the box adjusting their wrist guards gets old. The game has slowed down to a crawl. The last WS game was only 4-3 and took 3 1/2 hours.

I look forward to the NBA playoffs though, it seems more exciting, especially the finals.

I'm pretty sure the stats show that the MLB is far more popular in the U.S. than the NBA is.

Baseball is a territory sport IMO only people in NY, St. Louis, Boston, Philly, Chicago, Detroit and maybe three or four other cities that I can't think of really give a damn. I used to like all of the major sports, but I've regressed to only football because with the rest only like 5 teams have a true shot at championships and that's just not exciting to me. I guess basketball would be in second place for the rest of the country.

Also, Los Angeles and San Francisco. And when I was in San Diego, my anecdotal evidence was that they considered themselves a baseball town.

So, the Northeast, the Midwest, and the West Coast (not to mention the biggest cities in all those regions).... Yes... its regional. Like the United States is a region.

Major League Baseball but it's losing ground fast. The NBA is great if you are in one of the four or five cities with some chance for a parade every year but other than that, why get excited for such an unbalanced league? As for ratings, LeBron vs. Durant will always beat Detroit-San Fran. It also doesn't help that it was a boring sweep with mostly blowouts by San Francisco.

MLB right now, but it will be surpassed soon enough. Many of the nations superior athetes opt for Football or Basketball. I don't think it has a "cool" appeal with younger generations. Aren't less and less kids playing baseball these days? NBA has a way better global presence though.

It's the NBA. They have a more exciting brand and they have better marketing.

But you hit the nail on the head with the NBA Playoffs. I think they have the best playoffs. (Even though the NHL playoffs could get crazy at times)

Another thing is, people play basketball more than baseball. I think it is easier to follow a sport that you play(ed) than one that you haven't played that much.

Their is no way the NBA on average has the best playoffs when 90% of the teams each year are there just to be there. Baseball and hockey playoffs far exceed the NBA in terms of parity. The NHL playoffs are the best because one, any team can win and two, sudden death overtime.

Also, Los Angeles and San Francisco. And when I was in San Diego, my anecdotal evidence was that they considered themselves a baseball town.

So, the Northeast, the Midwest, and the West Coast (not to mention the biggest cities in all those regions).... Yes... its regional. Like the United States is a region.

They don't seem to give two ****s about other teams though and the ratings support that.

It's baseball

They also generate the most merch revenue out of any sport

And ratings don't mean much...

Watch the ratings in the NBA finals when Danny Granger goes on a tear down the stretch while Kevin love puts up 50 a game lol

---------- Post added October-30th-2012 at 01:44 PM ----------

They don't seem to give two ****s about other teams though and the ratings support that.

Dude...if your basketball team isn't in Miami, Dallas, OKC, NY, Chi, or LA. ESPN basically tells you that your team is irrelevant every night.

This year in the MLB playoffs, the Nats and O's were one win from fighting for a pennant

Let's see...2010, Lakers were involved, 2011, everyone watched hoping the Heat would lose and 2012 the same plus KD vs. LeBron. The last three seasons have been a perfect storm for NBA Finals ratings. If this year's matchup is somehow not involving Miami or LA it will be irrelevant.

OP asked which is more popular (assuming he means in our opinion) so ratings, ticket prices and all the other points are moot. In my opinion it's the NBA right now that is "More Popular."

Ticket prices are a horrible judge of that. In fact, hockey tickets are way more expensive than both

I'm pretty sure MLB has more ticket rev than NBA though ( it was a question on a midterm last year lol)

Archived