Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One less worry. Cobra Kai is perfect

4d_POWER

It is a very limited sample size. Eventually he will miss a kick. But so far, including his preseason with Tampa, he is perfect. I don't know what it is, but something in his body language puts me at ease and gives me confidence when he kicks, at least more so than any kicker we've had since John Hall.

Again, I will fairly admit how small the sample size, I'm just saying I do not feel overly nervous/anxious when he steps on the field and I do not exhale a big sigh of relief and shock when the ball goes through, for whatever reason. I'm beginning to expect it. I guess when I watch his body language and emotion, he looks much like Alfred Morris - the moment is simply not too big for him or his nerves so he steps out and kicks the ball methodically like he has the other million times in his life. It's nice to see.

Here's a look at Forbath with a larger sample size: his 205 kicks as a student at UCLA

http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/forbath_kai00.html

My quick thoughts are that he hit 93% of his short kicks (under 40 yards), which seems very good to me, especially when over half of these kicks were between 30 and 40, which he hit 29 of 30. On longer kicks (40 yards and over) he only hit 72%, which is lower than average for an NFL kicker. However, I don't know this, but I would guess that field goal percentage goes up from college to the pros since the quality of your long snaper improves, lowering the chances that the snap affects the kick. Also, he was remarkable from 50 yards and above hitting 10 of 13. Considering kicks that long are rarely attempted in non-high leverage situations, I also take this as an indication he's clutch.

One important negative note is that his overall percentage climbed between his Freshman, Sophmore and Junior years before falling dramatically his senior season. The fall is owed exclusively to his going 6-11 on kicks between 40 and 49 yards.

So, it seems like overall his credentials are very good. Given this and that he never missed an NFL kick in the preseason, I wonder why he wasn't on a team this late in the season. I'm sincerely curious if Bruce Allen's reason for cutting Rackers and Gano for Cundiff, was that he wanted Forbath all along. He might have postulated that since the Buccaneers already have an established kicker they would eventually cut Forbath, but if we entered the season with Rackers or Gano neither would be bad enough to cut during the season.

The kid has been solid. He should be recognized for raising the level of play from the Kicking position.

This talk about jinxes and such is silly.

It's time this franchise base quit being afraid of the dark.

Tough times happen to everyone...buck up, face the challenge head on, & move forward.

The skins have done that with the K position.

Hail!

I'll stop being afraid of the dark when it stops kicking our team in the nuts lol.

Here's a look at Forbath with a larger sample size: his 205 kicks as a student at UCLA

My quick thoughts are that he hit 93% of his short kicks (under 40 yards), which seems very good to me, especially when over half of these kicks were between 30 and 40, which he hit 29 of 30. On longer kicks (40 yards and over) he only hit 72%, which is lower than average for an NFL kicker. However, I don't know this, but I would guess that field goal percentage goes up from college to the pros since the quality of your long snaper improves, lowering the chances that the snap affects the kick. Also, he was remarkable from 50 yards and above hitting 10 of 13. Considering kicks that long are rarely attempted in non-high leverage situations, I also take this as an indication he's clutch.

One important negative note is that his overall percentage climbed between his Freshman, Sophmore and Junior years before falling dramatically his senior season. The fall is owed exclusively to his going 6-11 on kicks between 40 and 49 yards.

Remember, college has the hash marks out further, so when they attempt longer kicks, they may be at an angle. I wish college would move the damn hash marks in. I hate seeing a kicker in college doink a 25 yarder because of the angle. Move the dam hash marks in NCAA.

• 2 weeks later...

I think yesterday was his best game yet as he seems to be getting more and more comfortable.

His kicks yesterday had no flutter to them. Powerful and straight down the middle. His kickoffs are short. But they seem to have a decent amount of height to them so the coverage can get down the field. Sometimes its better that way as it leaves the returner with less time to scan for a running lane.

• 3 weeks later...

2:44PM EST November 20. 2012 - It's a Cinderella story, if Prince Charming used ovens, burning hot shoes and had to take 10 minutes to wedge the glass slipper onto her foot.

Washington Redskins kicker Kai Forbath revealed that he wears a kicking shoe is three sizes smaller than his regular shoe. The UCLA product has his regular size 10.5 on his left foot, but wedges his right foot into a size 7.5 soccer cleat.

Wearing a smaller shoe is nothing new, but rarely do you get specifics and photographic comparisons. Thanks to Forbath and the D.C. Sports Bog, we have both.

The kicker spoke about his process and reasoning on a teammate's online radio show last week. Forbath said the small shoe helps create a harder surface area for kicking. That helps the ball go farther.

The process of breaking in the shoe isn't easy.

"I go through a little process with it," he said, as transcribed by the Sports Bog. "We have this shoe oven. I think it's initially made for hockey skates. You put the shoe in the oven for about 10 minutes, take it out, put it on real quick while it's still burning hot. And I have to jam my foot in and wear it around for about 10 minutes. I do it again the next day. And then I kick in it for about 10 minutes a day for two weeks until it's finally somewhat comfortable. So it's about a two week process to break in each shoe."

Albert Haynesworth used to go through the same thing to fit into his jersey.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/11/20/kai-forbath-redskins-kicker-shoe/1717573/

"I go through a little process with it," he said, as transcribed by the Sports Bog. "We have this shoe oven. I think it's initially made for hockey skates. You put the shoe in the oven for about 10 minutes, take it out, put it on real quick while it's still burning hot. And I have to jam my foot in and wear it around for about 10 minutes. I do it again the next day. And then I kick in it for about 10 minutes a day for two weeks until it's finally somewhat comfortable. So it's about a two week process to break in each shoe."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/11/20/kai-forbath-redskins-kicker-shoe/1717573/

Wow. That's crazy. I had no idea. Is this common?

Albert Haynesworth used to go through the same thing to fit into his jersey.

Hilarious haynesworth quip.

On topic, it's nice to not dread field goal attempts anymore. It's sad to think how many more games the Skins would have won if they had simply had a reliable kicker.

• 3 weeks later...

Not official yet, but our esteemed Commissioner is considering eliminating the kickoff...one rumor I heard is they may replace it with the punt.

if that happens, that should give Kobra Kai even a bigger advantage...saving the leg for the kicks that count and he won't have to change between his field goal shoe & his kickoff shoe anymore!

Archived