Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT, Florio: League reminds clubs of rules for mobile quarterbacks

s0crates

I figure this is Redskins related, as I think we all know who they are talking about. Also, I figure we could use a refresher on this ourselves.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/19/league-reminds-clubs-of-rules-for-mobile-quarterbacks/

With more quarterbacks opting to run with the ball, either horizontally or vertically or both, the NFL has given its teams a reminder as to the rules that apply when quarterbacks aren’t in the pocket.

The biggest misconception for most fans (and some players) comes when the quarterback leaves the pocket but stays behind the line of scrimmage. He loses the protection of the “one-step” rule and the Brady rule regarding hits at or below the knee. The quarterback otherwise remains protected against forcible hits to the head and neck area and hits with the helmet to any part of the quarterback’s body. (This makes the failure to flag Texans defensive end J.J. Watt for removing the helmet of Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers even more confusing.)

Once the quarterback clearly becomes a runner, all protections evaporate — except the ordinary (and inherently subjective) rule against unnecessary roughness, including the protection that applies when any runner slides feet first.

Of course, it’s often hard to know when a quarterback clearly becomes a runner.

More at link.

Any other team, besides the Redskins, whose QB steps out of the pocket but remains behind the LoS would be protected by the refs. Any opponent who hit them low would be flagged. But, I'm sure, this reminder to the league will allow referees to look the other way when a defensive player, namely JPP, goes for RGIII's knees this Sunday. I guess Mara wants to be assured his team isn't fined for unnecessary roughness against our QB. **** Mara. :finger:

Funny this comes out right before we play the giants. It's getting ridiculous!

In one article it said it showed the Barron suplex and drive to the ground and said that should not have been flagged and was legal. Hard to believe with all the player safety BS they have been preaching they come out with this stuff.

Why are you all getting bent out of shape about this? This is the NFL reminding teams QBs remain protected from hits to the head or hits from a defender using their helmet until they pass the line of scrimmage. They lose the one step rule and can be hit low if they leave the pocket but that was already the case not a change of rules.

This is a reminder of the protection in place for QBs like RGIII - how is that a bad thing?

Why are you all getting bent out of shape about this? This is the NFL reminding teams QBs remain protected from hits to the head or hits from a defender using their helmet until they pass the line of scrimmage. They lose the one step rule and can be hit low if they leave the pocket but that was already the case not a change of rules.

This is a reminder of the protection in place for QBs like RGIII - how is that a bad thing?

Read this article. Link

It's outlining where QBs are NOT protected and uses the Barron hit on RGIII as an example of a play that should not have been flagged. This has Mara's fingerprints all over it.

Griffin and Newton are featured in five of the first six plays under the heading, "Option Quarterback -- Normal unnecessary roughness applies. No special protections.''

Read this article. Link

It's outlining where QBs are NOT protected and uses the Barron hit on RGIII as an example of a play that should not have been flagged. This has Mara's fingerprints all over it.

Sorry still not seeing the problem. These rules are the ones that are already in place - nothing has changed. The emphasis I take is a clarification that a QB does not become a runner and thus totally unprotected until he crosses the line of scrimmage and thus can no longer become a passer. Again thats a reminder of how RGIII and other running QBs should be protected and of course how they are not protected once they leave the pocket.

The option stuff again is just a clarification of the existing rules - and is why RGIII is holding his hands up after he has handed off so the DE can't drill him.

Sorry still not seeing the problem. These rules are the ones that are already in place - nothing has changed. The emphasis I take is a clarification that a QB does not become a runner and thus totally unprotected until he crosses the line of scrimmage and thus can no longer become a passer. Again thats a reminder of how RGIII and ther running QBs should be protected and of course how they are not protected once they leave the pocket.

Just funny the timing of this clarification. I've seen no need for it. I think the officials have been doing a good job. Somebody obviously thought they had not, thus the need for this. I would bet you see Griff take some unflagged shots Sunday that would have been flagged prior to this. Also what's the deal with denying the media the request to see the film they put together??

Read this article. Link

yeah no doubt...... whenever i read something Mara related... I could swear he's scared of what the Redskins can become. Well here's some news for you Mara. You have us docked $18 million and complain that hits on RG3 are legal and shouldn't be flagged... but sooner or later... THIS will be RG3's division!

Just funny the timing of this clarification. I've seen no need for it. I think the officials have been doing a good job. Somebody obviously thought they had not, thus the need for this. I would bet you see Griff take some unflagged shots Sunday that would have been flagged prior to this. Also what's the deal with denying the media the request to see the film they put together??

I think the clarification is more for the benefit of defensive coaches and players so THEY understand what the definitions are - it's got to be hard being a defensive player working out what you can and can't do and it's getting expensive if they get it wrong!

So, let me get this straight. The Redskins are blindsided with a 36 million dollar cap hit the day before free agency, we lose a starting safety to a suspension for an action he commuted a year ago on the last day of roster cut downs, we get fined for word choice when other teams get off Scott free for knowingly putting players suffering from concussions on the field, and now, the league is encouraging cheap shots against mobile QBs or at least that's how most defenses and refs will understand this message.

Yup, no reason at all to feel paranoid

Funny this comes out right before we play the giants. It's getting ridiculous!

In one article it said it showed the Barron suplex and drive to the ground and said that should not have been flagged and was legal. Hard to believe with all the player safety BS they have been preaching they come out with this stuff.

It may be in a different article, but it mentions nothing of the Barron play. That play was a penalty and would have been even if it was a RB, WR or TE. It was penalty because if you are able to pick a player up, it is illegal to then "pile" drive them into the turf. Pretty sure the ref even said this over his mic when announcing the penalty.

It may be in a different article, but it mentions nothing of the Barron play. That play was a penalty and would have been even if it was a RB, WR or TE. It was penalty because if you are able to pick a player up, it is illegal to then "pile" drive them into the turf. Pretty sure the ref even said this over his mic when announcing the penalty.

From the article;

In one, Griffin fakes a handoff to his running back, boots left and is hit by Tampa Bay Buccaneers safety Mark Barron while attempting a pitch to rookie tailback Alfred Morris. It is a clean hit, according to the memo, which says, "When a quarterback runs an option and keeps the ball, he is a runner. He has none of the special protections given to a passer. Normal unnecessary roughness rules apply. It does not matter whether he is in or outside the pocket area.

Sorry still not seeing the problem. These rules are the ones that are already in place - nothing has changed. The emphasis I take is a clarification that a QB does not become a runner and thus totally unprotected until he crosses the line of scrimmage and thus can no longer become a passer. Again thats a reminder of how RGIII and other running QBs should be protected and of course how they are not protected once they leave the pocket.

The option stuff again is just a clarification of the existing rules - and is why RGIII is holding his hands up after he has handed off so the DE can't drill him.

How do you not see this as a negative against the skins? It's very obvious...they are saying HIT QBs LIKE RBs outta the pocket..wtf is the point of this "reminder"

1) So why are we blaming Mara? You guys are acting extremely childish.

2) Where does it say/imply that running QBs are now legally open to WWE moves?

3) No rule has changed...when you run the option the QB has always been fair game. Isn't that why everyone was ******** about us running it in the first place?

4) I was surprised the Barron hit was flagged in the first place...

you guys are taking this conspiracy **** too too too far

So, let me get this straight. The Redskins are blindsided with a 36 million dollar cap hit the day before free agency, we lose a starting safety to a suspension for an action he commuted a year ago on the last day of roster cut downs, we get fined for word choice when other teams get off Scott free for knowingly putting players suffering from concussions on the field, and now, the league is encouraging cheap shots against mobile QBs or at least that's how most defenses and refs will understand this message.

Yup, no reason at all to feel paranoid

the NFL is out to get us and Mara and Goodell will not rest until the Redskins are destroyed, i 100 percent believe that

yeah they are out to sabotage the team with the most marketable athlete on the planet. Makes sense I guess

they are pissed off the Redskins got RG3, why the made up cap penalty the day after the trade was done, why the fine even though proper medical procedure was done on RG3 and no fines for the Lions who put a concussed player back in the game? Why are they telling refs make sure you allow the Giants to have late illegal hits on RG3?

they are pissed off the Redskins got RG3, why the made up cap penalty the day after the trade was done, why the fine even though proper medical procedure was done on RG3 and no fines for the Lions who put a concussed player back in the game? Why are they telling refs make sure you allow the Giants to have late illegal hits on RG3?

Where in that article is that said/implied?

Archived