Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT, Florio: League reminds clubs of rules for mobile quarterbacks

s0crates

How do you not see this as a negative against the skins? It's very obvious...they are saying HIT QBs LIKE RBs outta the pocket..wtf is the point of this "reminder"

No they are saying you CAN'T hit a QB out of the pocket like a RB until he has passed the line of scrimmage and then is clearly a runner. I think your post underlines the point of the reminder.

Frankly, I thought the hit that barron gave to griffin was perfectly legal. i don't know what else you're supposed to do when the ballcarrier runs straight into you like that. In the world i grew up in, when a man comes head on at you like that, facemask in chest, grab behind the thighs and lift was the pefect way to tackle.

When they threw the flag, i was glad and disgusted at the same time.

~Bang

timing of what?

what is the problem?

this doesn't change any rules or say anything new

Timing of the reminder. You really needed me to answer that? :)

I get it's fun to be the contrarians with all this hate for Mara, but I don't think it's a coincidence we're playing the Giants this weekend and the NFL decides it's a good time to send this "reminder" out.

I get it's fun to be the contrarians with all this hate for Mara, but I don't think it's a coincidence we're playing the Giants this weekend and the NFL decides it's a good time to send this "reminder" out.

But given its a reminder that you CAN'T hit a QB outside the pocket like you can a RB until he has passed the LOS what advantage do you see this giving the Giants?

Man this dude Mara, just keeps finding way to screw the Redskins. Wonder if Snyder like slept with his mom or something...

Pre-draft: Punish the Redskins (Said we were lucky we didnt lose draft picks) Guess he didnt want us to draft RG3

Now: Restate rules about a Mobile QB a game before Skins vs Giants....

I just don't understand where everyone is getting late hits and all that nonsense from

All it says is that all bets are off once he passes the LOS...hasn't it always been that way?

I don't get how ppl think this will means the refs allow illegal, WWE moves on RGIII

As far as timing goes, it seems like a warning to the Giants IF it has anything to do with the game tomorrow (I doubt it does though)

---------- Post added October-20th-2012 at 04:08 PM ----------

Man this dude Mara, just keeps finding way to screw the Redskins. Wonder if Snyder like slept with his mom or something...

Pre-draft: Punish the Redskins (Said we were lucky we didnt lose draft picks) Guess he didnt want us to draft RG3

Now: Restate rules about a Mobile QB a game before Skins vs Giants....

How is this screwing the Redskins?

I think there's a tad bit of overreacting in this thread.

Then again, given recent events, it's not surprising that people overreact whenever the league appears to point out anything to do with the Redskins.

I don't think so and here's why. Usually, if the league makes an announcement like this it is in response to a controversy or a big game changing call. How often do we see these redirectives come out of thin air? Who demanded it and why? Where was the incident that necessitates this memorandum?

The answer seems clear enough.

I don't want to go too off topic, but just a question. Do you guys think that Mara screwing the Redskins with cap was among the motivation issues talked in secrecy among players and coaches this week? Like do you think players are reminding each other what Mara did to the Redskins as a franchise this offseason? If so, we could lay the smackdown on the gmen tomorrow just by motivation alone. What's yall thoughts?

But given its a reminder that you CAN'T hit a QB outside the pocket like you can a RB until he has passed the LOS what advantage do you see this giving the Giants?

People see this as personal because we have one of the few QBs that will be past the LOS often. Some skins fans take this as, make sure you know you are allowed to FSU when a QB runs with it past the LOS. I see both sides to this argument, and I do think the timing is a little odd. As NLC said, people are overacting because they are tired of getting screwed, which is understandable.

With more quarterbacks opting to run with the ball, either horizontally or vertically or both, the NFL has given its teams a reminder as to the rules that apply when quarterbacks aren’t in the pocket

How do you run with the ball vertically---better yet horizontally AND vertically? I mean it's a helluva advantage if you can just fly.

Do they mean when you jump across the LOS for a TD or first down? I mean how the hell can you not hit him in the head in that situation?

I don't think so and here's why. Usually, if the league makes an announcement like this it is in response to a controversy or a big game changing call. How often do we see these redirectives come out of thin air? Who demanded it and why? Where was the incident that necessitates this memorandum?

The answer seems clear enough.

Exactly. If this came out after the Barron hit it would totally be understandable. But now!?

When I started this thread last night, I did not expect the sort of responses I am seeing.

I hate Mara as much as, and probably more than, anybody. My strong opinion about him and his role in cap-gate is no secret. However, it honestly never crossed my mind that he had something to do with this officiating memo, which apparently came from the VP of officiating. That being said, I can see why so many fans would be on the defensive when you consider the recent history. Nonetheless, it does not appear to me that Mara had anything to do with this.

It is pretty clear that this memo clarifying rules for mobile QBs is, as the yahoo article linked in this thread said, best viewed as "the RG3 clarifications." However, it is not clear to me that the memo either increases or decreases the amount of protection Griffin will receive from the refs. The rules are a bit unclear, but it does seem that the NFL has told teams that all bets are off when the QB leaves the pocket or runs the option.

My main goal in posting this was just to let us know it was out there and to give us a clearer understanding of the rules so we know what we are talking about when we complain about the officiating. Now that I look at it though, I can see the concern that this rule clarification puts our guy at greater risk outside the pocket. It will be very interesting to see how our game this weekend is called in this respect, whether he is more protected or less or there is no change. I will be keeping my eye on this.

Frankly, I thought the hit that barron gave to griffin was perfectly legal. i don't know what else you're supposed to do when the ballcarrier runs straight into you like that. In the world i grew up in, when a man comes head on at you like that, facemask in chest, grab behind the thighs and lift was the pefect way to tackle.

The problem is that Barron either should have left his feet and dropped him at the

level" he was on or simply NOT lifted Griffin in the air and then slammed him. That's illegal regardless, even if the runner is a RB. One reason is that falling or being slammed to the turf from a couple of feet off the ground is different than being hoisted up and slammed. It's similar to why the reverse suplex or whatever is banned. It can break someone's neck.

The slam was a cheap and dirty hit and I don't believe it's legal in college either. It wasn't that he grabbed under the thighs and put him down but that he LIFTED him UP into the air and then slammed him. It was a BS play, no need to feel guilty about liking the flag.

But I will say this, if teams want to take cheap shots at RG3, we need to send in people at their guy to get them to back off.

Archived