Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Southeast Division Champions Caps Vs. Rangers

ixcuincle

Lot's of exciting things happening in the hockey world this morning (technically it was last night). Everything should be taken with a huge grain of salt, but it's certainly better than all the other news we've been hearing.

Iain MacIntyre

‏@imacVanSun

Sportsnet's Nick Kypreos says some coaches are calling players to tell them to be ready for imminent return. #CBA

Kevin DeLury

‏@TheNYRBlog

Source telling me NHL podium in hotel is for press conference tomorrow announcing CBA agreement.

Steve Burton

‏@WBZSteveBurton

#CBA negotiations are strenous, but are closer and closer. Fans will have NHL hockey by Christmas, very likely games on Christmas day.

Matthew Barnaby

‏@MattBarnaby3636

Just got a text from owners side that his guess is season starts on dec 26th.

Bob McKenzieVerified

‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

IF I were going to read into anything, I'd be more likely to focus on fact that flow of info/details from room is shut down tight.

I may have posted those a bit early. After reading some more I found articles like this

http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/2012/12/into-the-wee-hours.html

NEW YORK--The conversation went something like this.

"Let's leave," said Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, turning to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.

"It's up to you," replied Daly.

At that point during the talks between the NHL and NHL Players Association on Wednesday, a day that began as a continuation of the momentum generated on Tuesday, both sides were at the precipice, and the 2012-13 season was in jeopardy. Earlier, Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller had angrily vented when the owners said they were disappointed with the players responses to an earlier offer and threatened to pull everything off the table.

But with Jacobs poised to abandon the talks, other owners spoke up, and then both sides dramatically backed away from the precipice. When talks ended close to 1 a.m. Thursday morning after more than eight hours of talks without NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and union executive director Don Fehr, it certainly seemed from the outside they were getting closer and closer to a deal to end this ugly lockout.

Now there's word that the players want the talks to be open today, aka Fehr and Bettman will be back in the room. I realize that a final deal can't be made without those guys around, but I don't think their at that stage yet.

For the players, the current deal sounds pretty fair. It's a 10 year CBA, the owners up'd their make whole provision offer to $300M, added in $50M worth of pension money, are not changing the UFA or arbitration rules, contracts can only vary by 5% year to year, but there's a 5 years limit on contract length (7 if you sign with your own team).

If I'm a player, that's pretty close to when I've been looking for. Maybe try to get the 5 year contract limit up to 6, but otherwise that looks pretty good.

Looks like an agreement is close and this is great news. I'm really missing the hockey as I'm not an NBA fan at all.

Me too. Gave up on the NBA about 4 years ago when the Wiz kept sucking and the Caps were stomping people. But I've been a fan of both teams for a long time, so don't get me wrong. I'm not a bandwagon Caps fan since I've been watching them the year they traded for Rod Langway. But Hockey has always been my second favorite sport behind football.

Because Fehr and Bettman got re-involved

**** those idiots

---------- Post added December-6th-2012 at 06:59 PM ----------

Lot of positivity now that Fehr made his conference and announced what are allegedly huge gains in the process in terms of the financial aspects of the NHL

We get closer and closer to the return of Capitals hockey

I am sad to report that the NHL has denied the NHLPA's demands and Fehr says there is "no resolution soon"

I am disappointed

So much progress was made, but the process is so fragile and any gust like that can just damage hope

Just...just stunned here

---------- Post added December-6th-2012 at 07:22 PM ----------

Jonas Siegel

‏@jonasTSN1050

Fehr: It looks like this is not going to be resolved in the immediate future.

I was reading about it and the one thing that gets to me is one of the issues. Length of contract. The Owners want a 5 year max for free agents and 7 for re-signing your own players. But the players don't like the 5 year max for free agents. But then, they piss and moan about not being able to become free agents until late in their career. You can't have both.

Donald Fehr is a ****nut. The longer this goes, the more he makes. This is what he lives for. Ask MLB. The owners are *******s, but the players caused this 2 years ago when they hired Donald Fehr.

You are correct. As soon as I heard Fehr was named to head the union, I knew there would be labor problems. He made a bunch of money ruining baseball, he can make money by ruining hockey too.

• 4 weeks later...

Things are looking very good, and it looks like there will be a settlement very very soon.

I know I've said this before only to have things collapse, but there's been a lot of progression over the last couple of days and there is a real sense of optimism. There isn't the gloom of fragile negotiations that hovered over last time. Both sides realize if they fail now, the season's off. They understand what is at stake.

---------- Post added January-5th-2013 at 03:41 PM ----------

http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/statuses/287623974777659392

Well, if its a close as we're sensing it could be a very "good day" according to source.

---------- Post added January-5th-2013 at 03:55 PM ----------

Like the fiscal cliff deal, this is probably something that gets resolved at the final minute

Both sides have come too far to go back now

And last time Bettman was unwavering in "Accept the proposal we offered earlier, or else". Now, there is discussion. There is banter between the sides as they actually negotiate what looks to be a deal

Archived