Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Southeast Division Champions Caps Vs. Rangers

ixcuincle

I loved the proposed realignment, hopefully we can see that next season. I would be shocked if Fehr accepted the owners offer straight up, he's proven himself to be way too stubborn to do that over the years, but I could see him quickly countering with something very similar.

I'm done with the NHL's tomfoolery. Won't talk about it anymore until a deal is made.

I do wonder how much the fans have an effect on these issues. Well, by fans I really mean the money that the fans have.

I'm pretty sure the guys with the big bucks (ESPN, CBS, FOX etc.) leaned on the NFL like crazy to get things done because they were worried about all the money they'd lose.

The NHL pales in comparision in money, ratings etc so losing (ANOTHER) season won't have the same financial effect on the big boys in the entertainment biz.

Feel like this the reason why this is happening has a lot to do with the overall popularity of the sport.

That may be common sense, and I'm certainly not trying to diss the NHL because I absolutely love hockey but just a thought for a Thursday afternoon as I fight to stay awake in my office.

DONALD FEHR. His name is in the paper EVERY DAY for a reason. This is how he makes his bones.

EDIT: Yes, I am angry at the owners for causing this mess in the first place by binge drinking and then assembling their payroll. But for a league with the smallest sport related revenue pool to have a PA saying that the starting point for negotiations is at 57% of the pie, you will lose a season. Why is 57% the starting point? Because that is where the league was last year, and it's the owners fault. But Donald Fehr WILL NOT allow a penny to be lost. He makes more money and a bigger name the longer this work stoppage goes. That is how he wins.

The best thing for the CAPS may be a loss of the entire season. Let the young kids get some experience in Europe and try again next year...

Eh, they'll get experience but they'll lose a lot in terms of chemistry and with a new coach and system coupled with Alex Ovechkin getting older (due more to his style of play than his actual age) I'd have to disagree.

---------- Post added October-18th-2012 at 03:37 PM ----------

EDIT: I also wonder about the league's mindset regarding the PR hit they'd take if they lose another season.

The players would ultimately get the short end of the stick if they league locks out and lets face it, you're still going to watch the Caps if you're a fan no matter what happens.

Do any of the leagues really suffer that badly after a lockout? We're obsessed with sports so we'll moan and complain about it but when the Caps are on TV we're watching.

Not that I believe Ovi or that the information in this thread drives the needle at all but I must say, I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeally wearing thin on Ovi. I've got about 3 fingers grasping at the "I'm done with that ****ing guy" ledge.
I'm almost at that point too. Guy let himself go and wasted some of his prime years.

With the likes of RG3, Strasburg, and Harper, Ovie's star has really fallen. He was at one point the most popular athlete here, now he may not even be in the top 5.

I don't care one iota about most popular. When Ovie is playing, he's one of the best scorers this league has seen. Even the last couple of seasons, he's bee the top scorer for Caps by far.

Now with Semin gone, you want to lose Ovie too. How's 1.5 goals per game sound to you, because that's what the Caps would be looking like if he stays in KHL.

I don't care one iota about most popular. When Ovie is playing, he's one of the best scorers this league has seen. Even the last couple of seasons, he's bee the top scorer for Caps by far.

Now with Semin gone, you want to lose Ovie too. How's 1.5 goals per game sound to you, because that's what the Caps would be looking like if he stays in KHL.

He CAN'T sty in the KHL. It would violate the international agreement that allows players to gain transfers from one country to another. He would screw every other KHL player out of playing in the NHL.

Eh, they'll get experience but they'll lose a lot in terms of chemistry and with a new coach and system coupled with Alex Ovechkin getting older (due more to his style of play than his actual age) I'd have to disagree.

I'm talking about Forsberg, Galiev, Kuznetsov, Orlov, Wilson....the next waive. For what I could tell this offseason, the CAPS did not replace Semin because they want a young forward to replace him specifically Kuznetsov or Galiev. Hopefully they will be mature enough next year to step up and contribute.

I'm talking about Forsberg, Galiev, Kuznetsov, Orlov, Wilson....the next waive. For what I could tell this offseason, the CAPS did not replace Semin because they want a young forward to replace him specifically Kuznetsov or Galiev. Hopefully they will me mature enough next year to step up and contribute.

Fair enough, but those guys would be playing in the AHL or somewhere with a season anyways so I'm not sure what the difference would be?

Fair enough, but those guys would be playing in the AHL or somewhere with a season anyways so I'm not sure what the difference would be?

The 'studs' play in Europe as they are tied to contracts. In a year Kuznetsov and Forsberg will be able to switch to the NHL (if they so desire). Orlov is already here and Wilson is Canadian, so they both would benefit from the AHL. Not sure if Galiev will ever come over

The 'studs' play in Europe as they are tied to contracts. In a year Kuznetsov and Forsberg will be able to switch to the NHL (if they so desire). Orlov is already here and Wilson is Canadian, so they both would benefit from the AHL. Not sure if Galiev will ever come over

Galiev has been over here for 4 years already, I'm not worried about him. Hopefully Kuznetsov comes over in two years when his KHL contract is up, it would be great if he came over next year, but I don't really see it happening.

I don't care about most popular either. I care about rooting for a guy who clearly doesn't work as hard as he should and doesn't put the effort in that his peers do. I care about watching him continue to play like an undisciplined rookie with little improvement or evolution to his game. I care that he does not appear to be a winner. As it stands I have a REALLY hard time imagine an Ovi led and focused team achieving what we've all been waiting for this team to do for decades. That's why I'm almost done with him. I didn't even say I wanted him off the team, I just want to see him take the next step instead of continuing to walk backwards, I'm almost done because with each passing season I become less and less hopeful it'll ever happen.

Galiev has been over here for 4 years already, I'm not worried about him. Hopefully Kuznetsov comes over in two years when his KHL contract is up, it would be great if he came over next year, but I don't really see it happening.

boy, I was way off...I thought Kuznetsov could come over after this next year and did not think Galiev was over yet (or even wanted to come over)

boy, I was way off...I thought Kuznetsov could come over after this next year and did not think Galiev was over yet (or even wanted to come over)

• 1 month later...

The positive vibes continue as there is this sense that we are closer and closer to a deal, and the return of hockey. Marathon negotiations continue with headway being made

The negotiations are very fragile and can corrupt on any wrong move, but so far, everything looks extremely positive. There is an extremely strong sense that hockey will be back very soon.

---------- Post added December-5th-2012 at 03:28 PM ----------

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman says he's "pleased with the ongoing progress" as labor negotiations are resuming with players Wednesday following a meeting of the league's Board of Bovernors.

Bettman returned to the site of talks with the players' association after spending about two hours with executives from the league's 30 teams a few blocks away. The commissioner offered a brief statement but declined to take questions.

Bettman and union executive director Donald Fehr are again sitting out the latest round of talks that are made up of six team owners and 18 players, along with staff and counsel on both sides. Players and owners met for a total of nearly eight hours on Tuesday in different size groups. Enough progress was made to get back to the bargaining table after talks ended around midnight Tuesday.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/hockey/nhl/12/05/cba-talks-progress.ap/index.html#ixzz2EDAId5yn

Archived