Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jezebel: The NFL’s Campaign Against Breast Cancer Is a Total Scam

China

The NFL’s Campaign Against Breast Cancer Is a Total Scam

Have you noticed that during the month of October, the NFL suddenly becomes intensely concerned with making sure you're aware of breast cancer? Pink jerseys! Huge Ass Pink Ribbons at midfield! Pink mother****ing cleats! Fans interested in aware-ing on their own can even click on over to the NFL's store and purchase ugly pink crap of their own under the assumption that their good intentions will actually contribute to the fight against cancer. Well, I hate to burst your Pepto Bismo Pink bubble, wearers of dangly earrings that contain both ribbons and tiny footballs, but you've been had — the NFL's Breast Cancer Awareness Month campaign does raise itsy bitsy amounts of money for the fight against cancer, but the amount of money it raises pales in comparison to the amount of money it raises for billionaire NFL owners.

The NFL claims that its pink philanthropy efforts "support the fight against breast cancer" by "promoting awareness" and providing funds to the American Cancer Society. But what they're mostly promoting is, uh, buying NFL gear, the profits from which are overwhelmingly pocketed by the NFL.

According to Business Insider, the NFL's October Breast Cancer Awareness Month fundraising effort is multi-pronged. There's the on-field onslaught of pink (AWARENESS), the off-field auction of autographed or otherwise noteworthy NFL paraphernalia (MONEY FOR THE CURE!), and the part of the NFL store that entices shoppers to purchase officially licensed NFL breast cancer gear, a portion of which goes to FINDING A CURE. According to the League, 100% of the proceeds from the specialty auction go to the American Cancer Society, but the total percentage of purchases of officially licensed gear that actually goes to FINDING A CURE is actually kind of pathetic — 5%. If you want to look at this cynically, in a way, the on-field wearin' o' the pink serves as an ad to direct consumers to purchase pink fan items.

BUT WAIT, you might say, AT LEAST THEY'RE DOING SOMETHING. And 5% is still something! Well, kind of. As BI pointed out, if NFL products are sold at a 100% markup and only 5% of sale proceeds go to the American Cancer Society, then the NFL is pocketing 90% of sales of Breast Cancer Awareness products, many of which would not be purchased if they didn't come with a promise that consumers were "helping." And, more perspective: while the American Cancer Society isn't, say, Komen, they still don't use 100% of the money they receive to "fight" breast cancer. Only 70% of donations taken in by the organization go toward cancer research. So, if you spend $10 on pink stink from the NFL, only about 35 cents is going to finding a cure for breast cancer. And $4.50 goes right back to the NFL, where I like to imagine that it's spent on gas for a Lake Minnetonka pleasure cruise. For the cure.

But what about awareness?! Surely the NFL is helping keep people aware and alert and vigilant that at any moment, breast cancer could be lurking around a corner in a dark alley waiting with a hot pink switchblade to steal your purse and boobs. The thing about awareness is that it's all but impossible to quantify — and everyone knows about breast cancer.

Click on the link for the full article

Meh. It's not a perfect promotion, but I don't see any negatives to it. Some people just have to be contrarians about everything.

It doesn't feel a bit exploitative to you? These are the same owners that could barely make minor concessions to the refs and nearly lost a season because they didn't want to pay for long-term care for players. I love the idea of breast cancer awareness, but to profit off of it feels iffy.

It doesn't feel a bit exploitative to you? These are the same owners that could barely make minor concessions to the refs and nearly lost a season because they didn't want to pay for long-term care for players. I love the idea of breast cancer awareness' date=' but to profit off of it feels iffy.[/quote']

That's sort of my thing.

I mean, look at what Irsay is doing with the Chuckstrong shirts; 100% of the proceeds go towards leukemia research. If your heart is really in the charity, then when you're a billion dollar corporation, giving 100% of the proceeds to breast cancer research seems like a drop and the bucket.

But more than that, the NFL is pocketing 70% of the proceeds. And it's like...really? You can't take the 30% and give the 70% to breast cancer research?

You are buying NFL team merchandise with a pink ribbon. It's not like they are selling any old pink stuff.

The question that only the NFL can answer is how much more do they sell of the breast cancer awareness branded product.

And as noted, there are other activities as part of the NFL program which raise funds and generally promote awareness including charity auctions.

Yeah, a solid month full of the most famous athletes in the country wearing pink and having it repeatedly explained why on live national television during the some of the nation's most popular programming has no value.

Raising AWARENESS is the idea, right?

Is there ANYONE ANYWHERE watching ANY NFL game this month who is not aware why they're all wearing pink towels, shoes, gloves, armbands, ref caps, and have decked out the WHOLE STADIUM in pink?

And if there is, do you think the second they ask someone why thre's all this pink, they will be made AWARE of why it's there ?

last i checked, charity was voluntary, and the NFL could decide to give zero % to the cause, and just market pink gear for female fans.

I wonder if this thoughtless ***** would complain if the NFL decided that they didn't have to o this at all, and that they'd rather focus on prostate cancer awareness month.. maybe with some ugly brown towels..

I bet she would. I bet she'd have herself a nice self righteous whine.

People ***** about EVERYTHING.

~Bang

It doesn't feel a bit exploitative to you? These are the same owners that could barely make minor concessions to the refs and nearly lost a season because they didn't want to pay for long-term care for players. I love the idea of breast cancer awareness' date=' but to profit off of it feels iffy.[/quote']

Really, it doesn't bother me. I don't require mostly good things to be absolutely pure.

Yeah, a solid month full of the most famous athletes in the country wearing pink and having it repeatedly explained why on live national television during the some of the nation's most popular programming has no value.

Is there ANYONE ANYWHERE watching ANY NFL game this month who is not aware why they're all wearing pink towels, shoes, gloves, armbands, ref caps, and have decked out the WHOLE STADIUM in pink?

And if there is, do you think the second they ask someone why thre's all this pink, they will be made AWARE of why it's there ?

last i checked, charity was voluntary, and the NFL could decide to give zero % to the cause, and just market pink gear for female fans.

I wonder if this thoughtless ***** would complain if the NFL decided that they didn't have to o this at all, and that they'd rather focus on prostate cancer awareness month.. maybe with some ugly brown towels..

I bet she would. I bet she'd have herself a nice self righteous whine.

People ***** about EVERYTHING.

~Bang

I agree. I always thought it was to raise awareness, which it most definitely does.

Agree whole-heartedly with Bang and Predicto on this one.

Some money is better than no money. We did the walk (Susan K) last year and it was something like 3200 for the two of us to do it. Granted you are supposed to get donations from others, but we didn't want to impose on our friends. We had some friends that wanted to do it...but 1600 per person is pretty steep for some people.

You want awareness and money...why such a high price tag in this economy ? Stupid to me.

in the charity world, breast cancer awareness is the NFL. Billions a year is raised for breast cancer.

This whole topic is really a conversation about charities. A lot of these foundations and charities do not support the causes the way they advertise, breast cancer foundations are among the worst.

These foundations actually pocket most, if not all the money. The NFL I guess are just doing what everyone else does.

Livestrong was doing this as well.

and the NFL doesnt have to give any money, no doubt. But the issue is the NFL profiting off this cause. If you do not see an issue with that, then I have to question your moral fiber. There is no reason for the NFL, a corporation that make billions a year, to profit off this.

That's sort of my thing.

I mean, look at what Irsay is doing with the Chuckstrong shirts; 100% of the proceeds go towards leukemia research. If your heart is really in the charity, then when you're a billion dollar corporation, giving 100% of the proceeds to breast cancer research seems like a drop and the bucket

That can't be right.

5% sounds pretty meager, but I would also have to assume that there are a lot of costs that the NFL covers with all the awareness programs they do as well.

What i have an issue with is constantly having to have an issue.

I am thoroughly bored with the Age of Outrage

~Bang

there is a ton of serious **** to be outraged about, when were finished patting ourselves on the back for being so far advanced and getting upset about the political nature of our sandwiches.

there is a ton of serious **** to be outraged about, when were finished patting ourselves on the back for being so far advanced and getting upset about the political nature of our sandwiches.

lol.. ketchup and cheez whiz?

OUTRAGEOUS!

~Blarg!

~Bang

I totally agree. It's especially irritating when you know people actually don't really care as much as they want you to believe.

While I largely agree with the author that it's a scam it's not something that really bothers me. The reason is all corporate decisions such as this, while maybe having some desire to do good behind them by individuals, are done to make money pure and simple. That's because corporations are not people, contrary to what the Supreme Court tells us. Everything they do, at the end of day, is solely designed to help the bottom line. Whether by selling things, creating an image, establishing a positive association, you can always bet that the largest benefactors are not the charities but the company's making the donations. From a business standpoint, it makes perfect sense for the NFL. They're not going to gain much more in the way of viewership from American males, that's fairly tapped out. Outward displays of support for things like breast cancer awareness, Hispanic heritage month, ect, ect are all done in calculating fashion with an eye on expanding their reach to untapped demographics.

Where I separate from the author is in singling out the NFL in this instance for this behavior as I've LOOOOONG come to accept that this is standard corporate operating procedure in today's world. It's essentially just another extension of their marketing budgets. Personally I think it's kid of ****ty across the board, company's wrapping themselves in the cloaks of causes as a veiled method of advertising and revenue generation but this is a country of the dollar, by the dollar and for the dollar so it is what it is. No way the NFL deserves to be singled out for this, though, except that they're a large and easy target, especially with the mafioso leg breaker douchebag worthless commissioner currently running the show.

To put it more simply, they don't support causes, they attempt to purchase goodwill, positive brand association and larger customer bases.

Meh. It's not a perfect promotion, but I don't see any negatives to it. Some people just have to be contrarians about everything.

This is something that everyone should research about every charity though. What percentage of the funds raised actually go to the cause.

Granted, the NFL is not a charity, but it also seems sleazy to actually make a profit off breast cancer awareness.

---------- Post added October-12th-2012 at 09:05 PM ----------

~Bang

So, we should just stop educating ourselves and being aware of things? That seems like a bad strategy.

Archived