Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Michael Wilbon can KMA

spjunkies

I don't have much of an opinion on this, since I am not a DC sports fan

I was about to start a thread, but I might as well just continue it in here.

What makes a great sports town anyway? What is the criteria of being a great sports town. I have been in DC my whole life, this is all I know. That is why I quoted this. I don't know about these other cities, so it is really hard to compare my city to them. What makes New York, Chicago, Philly, and Boston so good? Honestly, I think it is just all media hype. It's no coincidence that those cities, along with LA, are considered great sports towns, THEY HAVE THE MOST MEDIA. But DC isn't anything to shake a stick at. So what makes these cities so much better than us?

Thees are the questions that needs to be answered.

It's like we have this argument once a year here on ES. People think just because the Wizards aren't that good and people don't go to the games that this is not a basketball city. I am not even going to elaborate anymore, you said it right here. Redskins are king, but this is a basketball town. Always has been and unless our(Mainly DC) baseball and football programs get better it always will be.

I doubt this will ever be a true baseball city/area. Baseball left the hoods many years ago.

I don understand it, the history of basketball in this area is so big and rich. I just think people dont follow DC sports that closely.

I guess we can say we aren't "upper tier". I can live with that. I always say this is a front-running town. The Caps was the perfect example. Nobody cared when they were losing. But you add Ovi and start winning games and all of a sudden everybody wants to rock the red.

yeah, this is what I meant. We are a front running town, except with the Redskins

I doubt this will ever be a true baseball city/area. Baseball left the hoods many years ago.

I don understand it, the history of basketball in this area is so big and rich. I just think people dont follow DC sports that closely.

yeah, this is what I meant. We are a front running town, except with the Redskins

Yeah I hear you with the baseball. Jefferson junior high here in SW always had a good baseball program, but the recreational league for kids have all but vanished. But I was thinking with the Nationals coming we would start to put more into a baseball program for the city.

Yeah I hear you with the baseball. Jefferson junior high here in SW always had a good baseball program, but the recreational league for kids have all but vanished. But I was thinking with the Nationals coming we would start to put more into a baseball program for the city.

when I said baseball left the hoods, I meant MLB. They are doing some stuff like RBI but there is a reason why African Americans in baseball figures have dipped to the low it is now.

I guess, but he brings up racial issues to extol black people now, as exhibited by that Sean Taylor article. He is a joke now, but back then he was excellent. Him and Mr. Tony.

wilbon is the journalistic equivalent of jesse jackson or al sharpton.

as far as DC being a 'front running' town, i would respond 'no less than any other town'. how many towns show up when the team is losing? as for the nats, they got here an hour ago. the wizards have been garbage since gil got hurt. they are a joke. we area borderliine north enough hockeytown. its hockey. and this is not canada.

for skins fans to still support the team after 20 years of mediocrity, its just a miracle, and skins fans deserve props for that.

wilbon is the journalistic equivalent of jesse jackson or al sharpton.

he is definitely not and has moved far from those two, but agree to disagree.

as far as DC being a 'front running' town, i would respond 'no less than any other town'. how many towns show up when the team is losing? as for the nats, they got here an hour ago. the wizards have been garbage since gil got hurt. they are a joke. we area borderliine north enough hockeytown. its hockey. and this is not canada.

for skins fans to still support the team after 20 years of mediocrity, its just a miracle, and skins fans deserve props for that.

well thats the point, we only support the Skins that passionately.

And I will wait to see if its a hockey town when the Caps struggle again.

he is definitely not and has moved far from those two, but agree to disagree.

well thats the point, we only support the Skins that passionately.

And I will wait to see if its a hockey town when the Caps struggle again.

Watching 8 games of suck is much different than watching 40 games of garbage from a basketball/hockey team year after year and when it appears that the teams are making no effort to improve fans will naturally drift away. The same thing would happen to the high and mighty teams that Michael is in love with.

I'm pretty proud of what Wilbon is unintentionally stating here. DC is the political center of the world, of course anything else is going to come after that. DC is also the historical center of our nation when you consider the Smithsonian/museum options. DC is also a tourist attraction which draws people year round.

I don't consider this a knock on our sports fans, but a reinforcement of the well-rounded nature of the DC area. I also think he's overstating the interest in sports in places like NY and Boston. Sure, they have a vocal fanbase but they also have a large population of yuppies who might wear the gear but know nothing about the teams.

In short, I think we might be a notch below some other towns due to the transient nature of DC. But I'd rather have a diverse city like those on the eastern seaboard than a city where sports is the only escape.

I was about to start a thread, but I might as well just continue it in here.

What makes a great sports town anyway? What is the criteria of being a great sports town. I have been in DC my whole life, this is all I know. That is why I quoted this. I don't know about these other cities, so it is really hard to compare my city to them. What makes New York, Chicago, Philly, and Boston so good? Honestly, I think it is just all media hype. It's no coincidence that those cities, along with LA, are considered great sports towns, THEY HAVE THE MOST MEDIA. But DC isn't anything to shake a stick at. So what makes these cities so much better than us?

Thees are the questions that needs to be answered.

Quite a few things I think. For one, almost everyone of those cities has had dynastic, all time great teams, full of great, transcendant players, which attracts bandwagon fans within the city, who may not have been interested in the team otherwise, or fans from other states/cities. They are also old franchises for the most part, so they have generations upon generations of fans. A lot of those teams have had very few losing seasons/periods recently (like last 20-30 years) so they haven't really fallen on hard times long enough for people to not give a damn. And a lot of those cities have people who grew up there, and may go off to school for awhile, and come back to get a job there, so they are able to retain a large portion of their fan base.

Been telling my wife for years that Wilbon is FOS and I could not understand for the life of me why a admitted Chicago fan was allowed to write about the skins. I stopped reading his crap a long time ago as I felt it was always negative and biased. I'm glad Bram stood up and defended the area. This area has stood behind the Skins, Caps(not really a puck head but root for them) and Wizards even tho the teams were garbage for years. I heard on 980 that Bram Weinstein called him a carpet bagger on twitter. Way to represent Bram.

I'm pretty proud of what Wilbon is unintentionally stating here. DC is the political center of the world, of course anything else is going to come after that. DC is also the historical center of our nation when you consider the Smithsonian/museum options. DC is also a tourist attraction which draws people year round.

I don't consider this a knock on our sports fans, but a reinforcement of the well-rounded nature of the DC area. I also think he's overstating the interest in sports in places like NY and Boston. Sure, they have a vocal fanbase but they also have a large population of yuppies who might wear the gear but know nothing about the teams.

In short, I think we might be a notch below some other towns due to the transient nature of DC. But I'd rather have a diverse city like those on the eastern seaboard than a city where sports is the only escape.

yeah, this is how I feel too. This isnt a bad thing. I enjoy that DC has other things going on outside of the sports.

yeah, this is how I feel too. This isnt a bad thing. I enjoy that DC has other things going on outside of the sports.

Yeah, that too. It isn't a place like Green Bay or Cleveland, where there isn't as much to do as there is in other cities. That's also why it's so tough in Miami, with having a great transient city full of (outside of the Dolphins) very young sports teams, that haven't been around long enough to have generations of fans..

The message may have some points, but **** Mike Wilbon.

**** him.

There's no question that DC isn't the best major sports city. It's the most transient area in the country-of all the people I know who grew up there, hardly any if their families are from the area. It's also not in any way a blue collar town, and the real hardcore live and die by their team type fans aren't usually lobbyists, politicians, lawyers or consultants. As much as I hate Pittsburgh I credit the way that their fans support all of their teams, but so much of that is related to demographics and the local economy not to mention the points about the lack of success and the fact that the Nats basically just started in DC. .

BUT. Wilbon sucks. He's turned into a stereotypical ESPN hack. He's petty, a fake tough guy and loves straw man arguments. No one claimed DC was the best and this guy, who made his name as a journalist in DC, loves to take unnecessary shots at the local teams and fans. Its like his personal mission in life is to rain on DC's parades. I expect that from the Philly journalists that had to take shots at the Nats after we won the NL east because that's the kind of town Philly is but Wilbon should be above that, he should let the DMV enjoy its sports resurgence and yet he can't help himself.

If Wilbon has lived in the DC area for 32 years and still doesn't call it home, that's on him and not The District.

I have no respect for him as a journalist or as a man. Go the **** back to Chicago if you love it so much.

He knows he's dead wrong for saying that and that's why he retracted. He's gone too far with this whole "DC neutral" crap to the point of coming across as a straight hater. Harper, Wall, and Griffin are all in their late teens early 20s, with Ovi still consider a young face of the franchise for a team that has been making the playoffs year after year lately. If all 4 teams start winning at the same time, we'll be way better off then most cities in the country. And a huge advantage we have is money in the area and money in the owners of these teams. Even if we aren't winning multiple championships every year, this has the making for DC getting a lot of attention over the next decade. It's already started...

Archived