Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox News (and possibly other networks) air man committing suicide after police chase

Springfield

Are you sure?

I was under the impression that while they have no regulation over rates that they do have some authority when it comes to content of basic cable.

Positive.

http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/oip/

However, there is a federal mandate that calls for a five second delay which they could get in trouble for. It looks like the feed the viewers were getting was live, while the feed Shep got was delayed by five seconds.

There's outrage?

Completely insane and outrageous. Any network that aired this piece of footage should be ashamed to call themselves a news agency.

What a disgrace.

I think we should be hard on whatever news stations aired it. This is thousands of times worse than some nip slip during the Super Bowl. .

Yeah I'm upset. Have I seen anything like this before? Yes. Did I know what I was going to see before I saw it? Yes. I'm desensitized to all this but it doesn't mean that it is something that is acceptable. This isn't something that should be aired on a cable news channel in my opinion. It's tasteless. I'd argue that showing every last police chase on TV is tasteless as well but the fact that they showed a man pull out a gun, put it to his head, pull the trigger and slump over in death takes the cake.

I'm sure there is a large segment in our society that loves watching this kind of thing. People would watch all sorts of sadistic things if they could be shown on TV. Anything from prison executions, to POW torture and genocide. People would eat that kind of thing right up. People really love their reality TV. People particularly enjoy the aspect of reality TV that shows the bad nature of humanity. The Honey Boo Boo and other shows you'd find in TLC exemplify this.

I'm not trying to get up on a high horse or anything...

It's just about what is decent. What the right thing to do is. Is that the way that this country is going, where people can kill on live TV and all we say is, "I've seen worse."? Surely we can be better than this.

i think fox had the delayed feed and the live feed mixed up. Shep seemed to be watching the delayed feed and the live one was on air. that's why he was yelling to get out about 5 seconds after it happened

either way, shades of Budd Dwyer. If you don't know who that is, youtube has that one as well

Yeah I'm upset. Have I seen anything like this before? Yes. Did I know what I was going to see before I saw it? Yes. I'm desensitized to all this but it doesn't mean that it is something that is acceptable. This isn't something that should be aired on a cable news channel in my opinion. It's tasteless. I'd argue that showing every last police chase on TV is tasteless as well but the fact that they showed a man pull out a gun, put it to his head, pull the trigger and slump over in death takes the cake.

I'm sure there is a large segment in our society that loves watching this kind of thing. People would watch all sorts of sadistic things if they could be shown on TV. Anything from prison executions, to POW torture and genocide. People would eat that kind of thing right up. People really love their reality TV. People particularly enjoy the aspect of reality TV that shows the bad nature of humanity. The Honey Boo Boo and other shows you'd find in TLC exemplify this.

I'm not trying to get up on a high horse or anything...

It's just about what is decent. What the right thing to do is. Is that the way that this country is going, where people can kill on live TV and all we say is, "I've seen worse."? Surely we can be better than this.

Did you hear what they said once they came back from commercial? They didn't intentionally show that, it was an accident. Someone will be fired over this I'm sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGoCyGLEcso

---------- Post added September-28th-2012 at 10:31 PM ----------

i think fox had the delayed feed and the live feed mixed up. Shep seemed to be watching the delayed feed and the live one was on air. that's why he was yelling to get out about 5 seconds after it happened

either way, shades of Budd Dwyer. If you don't know who that is, youtube has that one as well

Exactly.

Bud Dwyer video isn't acceptable for life.

Have you heard of this one? Surprisingly there isn't any video of it on the internet.

"In keeping with Channel 40's policy of bringing you the latest in blood and guts, and in living color, you are going to see another first—attempted suicide." She drew the revolver and shot herself behind her right ear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Chubbuck#Suicide

Did you hear what they said once they came back from commercial? They didn't intentionally show that, it was an accident. Someone will be fired over this I'm sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGoCyGLEcso

Yeah I saw that. Shep handled it like a true professional. I really like Shep, he is a stellar broadcaster no matter which network he's on. I'm sure somebody will be fired, or at least should be. I know broadcasting, and specifically producing, live television is hard work. It's a demanding, high tempo, high stress position and it doesn't leave much room for error. That shouldn't be an excuse though. There's not anything that can be done to prevent something like this from happening in the future though. I don't believe that the industry should be punished. The fail safes are already there, the people in charge of them need to act with a little more professionalism. Shep Smith knew what should have happened at that time, the people who support him should know as well.

Have you heard of this one? Surprisingly there isn't any video of it on the internet.

"In keeping with Channel 40's policy of bringing you the latest in blood and guts, and in living color, you are going to see another first—attempted suicide." She drew the revolver and shot herself behind her right ear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Chubbuck#Suicide

Whoa....that is some crazy crazy ****.

I'll admit I am drawn to these types of stories. I am just really interested in the human psyche and why we do certain extreme things. I'll admit that even the act of suicide is interesting to me....it's obviously one of the most horrible things imaginable. I wonder what people are thinking leading up to them. I dunno....it's just crazy that's all. And that story is a doozy.

So what? They show **** like that all the time. The were showing video of the temple shooting a couple weeks ago. It looks almost like a video game or war. Big Bud Dwyer Deal.
We watch the news to find out what's going on around us, not to be protected like children.
I don't know, I don't get the outrage.

I'm with all of these. I don't want to be that censored from reality. We need to know that **** like this is happening in the world.

I'm with all of these. I don't want to be that censored from reality. We need to know that **** like this is happening in the world.

I mean, I can understand if it was particularly gory... or if they cut through kids' cartoons to film the chase. I don't believe in much censorship other than for kids. Young kids really shouldn't be watching regular news anyway (in my opinion, that opinion may change when I actually have kids), so if kids were for some reason watching Fox News with mom and dad...well, the parents are responsible for that. They know their kids.

But I don't really see a huge problem with airing that. I am sure there are tons of people who are offended, but it's reality.

But I don't really see a huge problem with airing that. I am sure there are tons of people who are offended, but it's reality.

Lots of things are reality. Stuff that you come in contact with gets into your brain and becomes YOUR reality. Tread carefully.

Horrible things happen somewhere in the world every second and history is full of dark, dark stuff. It seems one ought to have an approach to handling that.

I think it is important to keep this stuff in mind to retain proper perspective, but I also think that we should be careful about exposing ourselves to acts of savagery.

Admittedly jumping into this thread directly on the 3rd page.

But I know that children get kidnapped, raped, and tortured to death, too.

I don't need to see it on my TV.

Its the logical end to a voyeuristic culture.

We LOVE other people's drama,, the messier the better. There's a reason why those trashy magazines have been on sale beside the cash register for fifty years.

They show us these chases, Fox in particular has always fed us chases.. it's dramatic, it's live, and no one knows what will happen... he may get busted trying to climb a fence, but we watch because he may run an intersection and get creamed by a trash truck, or fly off an overpass into some trees like we've all seen. but we don't watch to see if they catch the bad guy, we watch to see the disaster. we do't know if it'll be a guy who shoots himself, or a guy who runs over the center line and smashes into a minivan.

This is our world. We make it.

~Bang

Archived