Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: RGIII: What We Still Don't Know. (Sally Jenkins WaPo article)

skinsfan07

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation. - Rev. William H. Poole

Wow there are a lot of assumptions contained within this thread along with a pretty judgmental approach by some. We're talking about censorship? Ignorance? Because someone doesnt like a particular writer and their style? I would hate to go to dinner with you folks....

"try this steak"

"ive had it before, Im not a big fan, dont like it"

"try it anyway. actually eat the whole thing."

"I said Ive ordered that same steak 3x before, and every time it disappoints me, I dont want it."

"Ignorant. Prejudice. Uninformed fool."

Have fun folks, no thanks.

We are fans. I feel it is our perogative to enjoy the hype or casually ackowledge it.

Ms Jenkins has a history of writting things that are not so flattering to the organazation, but thats her thing,

and it does not influence me or my love for the team.

I think Robert is very level headed, and extremely intelligent, and with the coaches guiding him, I do not forsee him

developing an ego nor allowing the hype to get in the way of his success.

Does the attempt to dampen spirits have to be successful for it to be validly disliked?

I said earlier in the thread the article would have been better times for this Friday, as a good reminder heading into the Rams game, not right after a win. Plus, nothing she is saying is new, it is the same caution people have been issuing since we drafted RG3. So with nothing new to the table, and with the timing of the article, the focus stays squarely on her trying to lessen the celebration. Given the state of the Redskins lo these many years now, don;t we deserve to celebrate at least through hump day? Is it that necessary to reign it in so quickly?

Those saying she is dumb or has no point are wrong, of course, but I agree with those who have issue with her timing and believe she is merely repeating messages of cautiousness and bringing nothing new to the table.

This is pretty much what I've been trying to say, but now I'm being accused of censorship.

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 12:58 PM ----------

He played great. The point is that this doesn't mean we can expect this type of performance every week. Nothing more "critical" than that.

I'm not expecting it. It was more sarcasm on my part since Sally thinks we should pump the brakes. If this fanbase pumps them anymore, they'll overheat and disintegrate.

Does the attempt to dampen spirits have to be successful for it to be validly disliked?

I said earlier in the thread the article would have been better times for this Friday, as a good reminder heading into the Rams game, not right after a win. Plus, nothing she is saying is new, it is the same caution people have been issuing since we drafted RG3. So with nothing new to the table, and with the timing of the article, the focus stays squarely on her trying to lessen the celebration. Given the state of the Redskins lo these many years now, don;t we deserve to celebrate at least through hump day? Is it that necessary to reign it in so quickly?

Those saying she is dumb or has no point are wrong, of course, but I agree with those who have issue with her timing and believe she is merely repeating messages of cautiousness and bringing nothing new to the table.

Yours would fit under what I mentioned several times as "intelligent criticism" and a perfectly valid reaction. ;)

And there are others. :)

I'm going to chime in again. It's as simple as this. III had a game that exceeded all of our expectations and we are all excited about it. Unfortunately, some of you skirt wearing fools are constantly searching the interwebs for something you claim as negative. Again, in Layman's terms, Sally was just saying pump......the......brakes.

I feel sorry for you damn fools because I'm ecstatic about III and his potential. I don't and never have let a journalist. radio personality, etc affect my enthusiasm when it comes to my teams. You choose to be a miserable **** instead of enjoying our current success.

I guess I disagree again. I wouldn't say that "being a rookie" gave him an advantage as much as the offense we unveiled did. Everything anyone has ever seen on him from pre-season was our standard offense from 2010-2011. The coaches threw in a big wrinkle there with the offensive game plan. I certainly believe that gave us an advantage over their defense. I thought the creativity was BRILLIANT. I agree that Griffin executed things wonderfully, but believe we would have been far less successful running the same plays we'd have run with Grossman. How would that not be an advantage?

Jenkins implies that the Saints were unable to prepare for him because he was a rookie and they didn't have film to dissect his weaknesses. My point is that if they were unable to prepare, it was because the scheme kept the Saints off balance. The fact that he was a rookie is (if anything) a detriment. There is nothing preventing the coaching staff from tweaking its scheme in the coming weeks, just as the Redskins opponents will make their adjustments.

I dont see the problem with this article. Everything she wrote seems accurate to me.

The generic theme that a rookie will have downs as well as ups is accurate and understood by everyone. Writing a column on that fundamental truth is unnecessary as it's wholly understood by all. No one will be surprised if a rookie struggles or when teams adapt if things are less smooth. Thus, the article comes off as a bit pedantic. Why preach a known after THAT game? As for accuracy, she had errors. He threw the deep ball well. One would have been a touchdown but for an interference call. One was a big gain to Davis. One was a great, on the money throw that was nearly picked off SOLELY due to a great individual play. He didn't throw deep much, but he was generally on the money. A fourth was deep on a scramble that was out of bounds but Moss cut the route off so we don't know what would have happened there.

He threw over the middle enough. Both touchdowns. A dart to Morgan (more a seam) that Morgan dropped. The opening two plays of the third quarter (again more seams). The big play at the two minute warning. He didn't throw over one level and fit anything in before the next, like Brees is able to do 15 times a game, but, that's an area we'd probably see more -- if he has it -- later. Most rookies are dictated to, so it's high praise to suggest because the Saints didn't know him they couldn't plan for him. Most teams own rookies by forcing them to do what THEY want.

But, everyone in the world, including RGIII according to the writer, knows things won't be perfect, so why waste time informing us all of knowledge we already have?

The generic theme that a rookie will have downs as well as ups is accurate and understood by everyone. Writing a column on that fundamental truth is unnecessary as it's wholly understood by all. No one will be surprised if a rookie struggles or when teams adapt if things are less smooth. Thus, the article comes off as a bit pedantic. Why preach a known after THAT game? As for accuracy, she had errors. He threw the deep ball well. One would have been a touchdown but for an interference call. One was a big gain to Davis. One was a great, on the money throw that was nearly picked off SOLELY due to a great individual play. He didn't throw deep much, but he was generally on the money. A fourth was deep on a scramble that was out of bounds but Moss cut the route off so we don't know what would have happened there.

He threw over the middle enough. Both touchdowns. A dart to Morgan (more a seam) that Morgan dropped. The opening two plays of the third quarter (again more seams). The big play at the two minute warning. He didn't throw over one level and fit anything in before the next, like Brees is able to do 15 times a game, but, that's an area we'd probably see more -- if he has it -- later. Most rookies are dictated to, so it's high praise to suggest because the Saints didn't know him they couldn't plan for him. Most teams own rookies by forcing them to do what THEY want.

But, everyone in the world, including RGIII according to the writer, knows things won't be perfect, so why waste time informing us all of knowledge we already have?

Good analysis. Welcome back.

If that piece was 'venomous' NLC, we're both reading a wholly different 'tone' in her words.

Either that or your looking for something that's plainly not there.

Hail.

Agreed. I clicked on it expecting to be pissed off but after getting through the first few paragraphs it turns out to be a pretty level headed look at the situation. I hope every week goes like last week but fully expect there to be disasters sprinkled in there as well. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be through-the-moon excited but just realize that consistent success may be slow coming.

My favorite part of the article was Shanahan's obvious dig at McNabb at the end.

Better yet Art. Why do those that piss and moan about her write ups continue to give her the attention and keep her in the forefront? People are reacting the way she intended. She's not an idiot.

Provoking articles that cause discussion among the readers is something most columnists love accomplishing. Sally would be no different there. The difference is her articles tend to be less thought provoking items worthy of serious debate and more articles of someone who phones in articles because they aren't really working that hard in the field any longer.

No writer wants people to generally think of them as an idiot every time they write something. Controversy around something meaty is one thing. Dismissal around something inane is another. Too often she seems to achieve the latter and that is not at all what she is aiming to accomplish. That said, her column here is just not all that interesting. So, it's probably not worth a great deal of time or worry.

The generic theme that a rookie will have downs as well as ups is accurate and understood by everyone. Writing a column on that fundamental truth is unnecessary as it's wholly understood by all.

You had me at "generic theme"

that's dead on though ... she was stating the obvious and I'm not srue why? We are not that dumb ...sure we are starry eyed right now, but even more reason to let us fans bask in the glory of Sunday's win.

Wait, I thought we liked Sally Jenkins?

Seems like the list of supposed anti-Skins journalists (who we're all expected to hate in angry mob fashion) gets longer every day. Somebody sticky the list please. I'm only interested in reading glowing praise and sunshine, and I need to know which writers to boycott.

All sarcasm aside, I didn't see anything wrong with this article. Seemed fair to me, if not slightly pointless.

I'm not expecting it. It was more sarcasm on my part since Sally thinks we should pump the brakes. If this fanbase pumps them anymore, they'll overheat and disintegrate.

I didn't say you were expecting it. I'm simply saying that's Sally's point.

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 03:26 PM ----------

All sarcasm aside, I didn't see anything wrong with this article. Seemed fair to me, if not slightly pointless.

Yep...I think it's pretty benign but wasn't necessarily. She also overexaggerated the other point of view in my opinion. I don't think too many people were proclaiming Griffin a star yet or assuming week 1's results meant that we'd go 12-4. Now, if the offense looks good for another 3-4 weeks and we keep winning, then someone will need to start talking us down a bit.

We can act like this is specific to the Redskins and everyone hates us, but I remember the 1999 Rams getting the same treatment. First it was "let's see them do this for more than one week" which they did. Then as they sat at 2-0 and averaging 30+ PPG it was "let's see them do this on the road" which they did (beating the Bengals by 28). Then it was "let's see them beat San Francisco...the class of the division" which they did (42-20). Then it turned into "let's see them beat San Francisco away from their dome" which they did (by 16).

Basically, the national media had no other option but to buy into the Rams by November or so. And that was a team that consistently scored 30+ points and blew out most of their opponents on their way to becoming one of the best offenses in the history of the sport.

So far we've scored 40 points once and won a one-score game on the road. That's incredible and exciting. But I won't feel disrespected by the media until they're still not giving us credit after we've proven it's not a one-time thing. Hell, since this game, the opinions have been overwhelmingly positive and Sally Jenkins' is in the minority.

Because it gives her the 1 opportunity she craves more than anything.......

Writing the great" I told you so" article..The holy grail of anti-Redskin articles!

While practically every other prognosticator looks at the facts of that game and can distinguish the legitimacy of what RGIII did and the hope that is in Skins fans after many a disappointing rookie quarterback downfalls with the Redskins over the past 19 years, from Shuler to Ramsey to Campbell..

She writes the opposite in that one hope...She needs validation and the odds are in her favor.

But to me it proves the exact opposite..there are tons of articles of what RGIII did analyzed to perfection..her article is mediocre at best and goes against the grain for that one purpose.

And this is something I would expect from an opposing teams articles and NOT from the WP.

Everyone knows it's just one game..but it was a sweeeeeeet one game!!!!

Provoking articles that cause discussion among the readers is something most columnists love accomplishing. Sally would be no different there. The difference is her articles tend to be less thought provoking items worthy of serious debate and more articles of someone who phones in articles because they aren't really working that hard in the field any longer.

No writer wants people to generally think of them as an idiot every time they write something. Controversy around something meaty is one thing. Dismissal around something inane is another. Too often she seems to achieve the latter and that is not at all what she is aiming to accomplish. That said, her column here is just not all that interesting. So, it's probably not worth a great deal of time or worry.

Well said. Thanks for putting this into words.

Kornheiser is saying what I've been trying to say but naturally a lot better than I could.

“What’s the worst that’s gonna happen? That you’re wrong? If you can’t enjoy this. Everybody knows, intellectually, that something bad can and will happen down the road. If you can’t enjoy this week, if you can’t be welcomed into the land of unbridled optimism this week, you’re never gonna be able to feel that way. Sally’s being a scold....

“Intellectually, we all understand that one game is nothing. Ryan Leaf won his first two games as a rookie. We don’t NEED TO BE REMINDED OF THIS. We don’t need to be scolded, essentially, for having a great feeling of excitement.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/kornheiser-says-rgiiis-debut-means-nothing-else-matters-in-dc/2012/09/14/ef50d860-fe72-11e1-8adc-499661afe377_blog.html

Archived