Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: RGIII: What We Still Don't Know. (Sally Jenkins WaPo article)

skinsfan07

This is actually a balanced, reasonable, and fair article. Some of you need to remember to take your Midol. Granted, there's nothing particularly prophetic about predicting ups and downs for a rookie QB, but her details on RGIII's level-headedness and work ethic were actually quite enlightening.

The problem is that each and every time something good happens to the Skins, Sally Jenkins comes in with her literary tornado of doom to remind us how awful life is as a Skins fan. She often writes these "lets get back to reality" articles that are sometimes warranted and often not. In either case, she has branded herself as the chicken little of WAPO, and frankly when I see her name attached to an article, I dont even read it. In fact, I close the paper altogether.

The problem is that each and every time something good happens to the Skins, Sally Jenkins comes in with her literary tornado of doom to remind us how awful life is as a Skins fan. She often writes these "lets get back to reality" articles that are sometimes warranted and often not. In either case, she has branded herself as the chicken little of WAPO, and frankly when I see her name attached to an article, I dont even read it. In fact, I close the paper altogether.

I pretty much agree with you. I would add that Jenkins took the unassalilable tactic of saying that since the golfer hit a hole in one that he will likely not hit that one again on the next hole. This senex sort of stance indirectly tries to stifle celebration. As a redskins fan for 50 years I tend to savor moments like this and want to celebrate to the max. Yes, I know Sally, that this won't happen every week. Yes, I know Sally that celebrations are short lived. Yes, I know Sally that this young buck is going to throw penty of picks this year....but please let me celebrate, even for a moment. It's like winning the super bowl and Jenkins comes in and the day after says, "Don't get too happy, you won't win it again next year." LMAO Maybe I am old school but I want sports writers to tell me about X's adn O's not to tell me how I should or shouldn't be feeling.

Fellas,

We are know what RG3 is capable of as well as the rest of the league. The people who get paid to write paper are just spectators.

To be mindful, Sally Jenkins has written some good articles concerning this team especially the one bashing Haynesworth and commending Shanny for his handling of the situation.

Everyone wants to ***** but no one wants to be in the kitchen when it's hot.

This is actually a balanced, reasonable, and fair article. Some of you need to remember to take your Midol. Granted, there's nothing particularly prophetic about predicting ups and downs for a rookie QB, but her details on RGIII's level-headedness and work ethic were actually quite enlightening.

I agree. People need to cease the whining about the media. I think her point was that his fantastic debut caused the hype machine to go into overdrive, but RG3 is far too smart and grounded to let all this go to his head, and will continue to look to improve on the weaknesses in his game. He's already got a support system around him that will keep his ego in check, and he's not going to rest on his past success, but will continue to work to get better. In other words, he's not JaMarcus Russell, and he's got a bright future. I'm just going to enjoy the show.

It's not whining. I guess my point is, why now? Like she said, it's only ONE game. Let us enjoy it for once without hearing the "ifs or buts." If this article had come out in week 4 and we were 3-1 or 4-0, I'd have no problem with it. We're talking ONE game. Let us have some fun......

We're fans. She's a journalist.

The minute we start demanding a journalist writes only the substance we want to read; becomes the minute a free democracy starts to go up in spoke.

Hail.

i pretty much agree with you. I would add that jenkins took the unassalilable tactic of saying that since the golfer hit a hole in one that he will likely not hit that one again on the next hole. This senex sort of stance indirectly tries to stifle celebration. As a redskins fan for 50 years i tend to savor moments like this and want to celebrate to the max. Yes, i know sally, that this won't happen every week. Yes, i know sally that celebrations are short lived. Yes, i know sally that this young buck is going to throw penty of picks this year....but please let me celebrate, even for a moment. It's like winning the super bowl and jenkins comes in and the day after says, "don't get too happy, you won't win it again next year." lmao maybe i am old school but i want sports writers to tell me about x's adn o's not to tell me how i should or shouldn't be feeling.

bingo!!!!!!!

We're fans. She's a journalist.

The minute we start demanding a journalist writes only the substance we want to read; becomes the minute a free democracy starts to go up in spoke.

Hail.

Oh spare me the Constitution crap. Her timing is bad. She's always been the Debbie Downer of sports writing in DC. She has the right to write what she wants, when she wants within the rules of free speech, but we have the right to criticize the timing. All I'm saying is, it was bad timing. For a fanbase that is finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, she didn't even give us 2 days to be happy. Hell, when she wrote this, the coaches and team had barely even finished looking over the game film.

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 11:30 AM ----------

Not sure I understand all the dislike for the piece. She's basically saying temper your enthusiasm. There's a long road ahead. We all know this.

Not a problem with the piece, a problem with the timing. As she said, it's ONE game and I have yet to see any Redskin fan declare we're going to the SB or that we'll whip everyone's ass.

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 11:32 AM ----------

I pretty much agree with you. I would add that Jenkins took the unassalilable tactic of saying that since the golfer hit a hole in one that he will likely not hit that one again on the next hole. This senex sort of stance indirectly tries to stifle celebration. As a redskins fan for 50 years I tend to savor moments like this and want to celebrate to the max. Yes, I know Sally, that this won't happen every week. Yes, I know Sally that celebrations are short lived. Yes, I know Sally that this young buck is going to throw penty of picks this year....but please let me celebrate, even for a moment. It's like winning the super bowl and Jenkins comes in and the day after says, "Don't get too happy, you won't win it again next year." LMAO Maybe I am old school but I want sports writers to tell me about X's adn O's not to tell me how I should or shouldn't be feeling.

Another good post. In the words of Archie Bunker, "Stifle it Sally." Just for a day or 2 more.

Let me just say this. Yes she gives good points, but come on to even call out mistakes in a game where he passed for 320 yards on 19-26 attempts 2 TDs 0 INTs vs a title contender in their home where they haven't lost in 2 years. Oh and to have the Best QB rating out of all QBs in week 1 is kind of distasteful. He's mistakes wasn't rookie mistakes they where just mistakes. The game he played wasn't just tremendous game for a rookie but for an All-Pro QB. To bring up the 6 passes around the LOS as to say it was some walking him through it with baby steps is crazy. When Tom Brady, Rogers, and Peyton throw those same passes too. We know RG3 going to have games that we would love to have back. We can say that about every QB in the NFL. We all know this but I think this wasn't the time for that. This is the NFL and RG3 had the best QB debut ever or in the last 40 years in the NFL and probably had the best performance out of all players in Week 1.

And I just (for now) will repeat--- (with a general use of terms you, your, and you're) how does what someone says dampen your joy? Are you that weak-minded? Does everyone need to line up for you to be ok? Jeeez. The answer is "no" for most of you (I know you).

So what's all the fuss about? Simple. You're being dumb about the matter. :)

Critiquing the piece on a journalism basis is fine, but she's not paid to be a "joyous fan", though if she had written like one she'd no doubt be awesome today. :)

Actually, here's what I wrote earlier and wasn't going to post it, but I think I will. :evilg:

Criminy, I see the whiny "Oh nozzzze, unless everyone says only goody goody things about my dress, my party is ruinnnnnnnned" contingent still isn't done.

In this case, it’s not sally who is “clueless” or the “idiot.” Those qualifiers are more earned by a number of posters in this thread. And my comments have nothing to do with a basic “like” or “dislike” of the article for sound reasons either way. There are just a fair number of purely idiot views in this thread, not the least being a number of marginally literate “writers“ attacking a Stanford English Lit grad with three bestselling books (among other things) for her writing skills (and I don‘t even like her).

I am so tempted to use this as a culling thread.

It’s clear who’s just <fill in blank> and who’s actually thinking (and I don‘t simply mean whether you’re either “being enthusiastic“ or “tempering your enthusiasm“).

I think some of her criticism's were invalid.

"His performance reading the defense at the line of scrimmage seemed excellent, but also strict; it was difficult to tell just how broad or narrow his audible package was." What does that mean? Maybe he just made good pre-snap reads and went through his progressions accordingly.

Let me counter by stating that I believe you and Sally are saying the same thing. Her quote states "it was difficult to tell..." which essentially means that we don't know. Your response states "maybe he just..." which essentially means the same thing.

Her conclusion is that we would be prudent not to overreact to his first game. That's it. I think she created a bit of a strawman as I'm not quite sure anyone has contended that Griffin is now Steve Young. But I don't see any issue with her overall point which appears to be "let's watch him for a while and see how he does."

My problem with article is that its premised upon the notion that RG3's performance was the result of him being a rookie, and that because he's a rookie the Saints' defense couldn't properly game plan for him. That's just a load of crap. Any advantage due to "lack of film" or "surprise" is instantly outweighed by the fact that's it was the man's first game against a pretty damn good defense that should eat a rookie quarterback for lunch. The suggestion that he had some sort of advantage is just pure idiocy. If anything, this should have been one of his worst games in the NFL.

Jenkins is correct, there will be growing pains, but not because future opponents now have film on him. What she should have said was "This moment was the result of talent, diligent planning, and good fortune. He will not always be as successful, so let's prepare for that too."

I took some exception to the article, but overall it was not that bad ...

Right off the bat ...

Glimpses? that's almost insulting ... in the grand scheme of things, sure, its only one game in a long season and what we hope is a long career, but the man showed more than a glimpses. The back shoulder throw? The throw acrros the field to Fred? The throw to Tana that got called back? The throw to Paulsen to ice the game? Glimpsesis a bad choice of words.

Maybe it was more than glimpses, but he also threw 2 passes that might have been intercepted, dropped the ball in the red zone, and tripped over his RB. So, he made far more good plays than bad plays, but he didn't play flawlessly.

So, we caught a break ..? I would have loved to have known her prediction before the game, all of a sudden they are "in disorder."

You don't think we caught a break? I think many times since the schedule came out posters on ES said that the time to play NO was earlier in the season. Combine that with the fact that they have a bad defense and I think a team "in disorder" is accurate. They were being coached by the interim to the interim coach. Imagine if Danny Smith was our head coach going into this game...isn't that a handicap? (Bang, don't answer :ols:)

I mean ... she's pissing on our parade, really. Who wants to read this?

I'm probably being a little sensitive about "our guy" but the article just comes off as contrarian... I mean, maybe put this out on Friday or Saturday, but now?

I guess timing is what it is. That's more up to her and her paper to worry about. The content is the content though. Again, I think she created a strawman against which to argue...but the points are all 100% accurate. If we're truly nitpicking a couple words (glimpses, for example) and timing of publishing the story, I don't think it can be THAT offensive.

Oh spare me the Constitution crap. Her timing is bad. She's always been the Debbie Downer of sports writing in DC. She has the right to write what she wants, when she wants within the rules of free speech, but we have the right to criticize the timing. All I'm saying is, it was bad timing. For a fanbase that is finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, she didn't even give us 2 days to be happy. Hell, when she wrote this, the coaches and team had barely even finished looking over the game film.....

Timing. Context. All forms of censorship which ever way you cut it.

Hail.

My problem with article is that its premised upon the notion that RG3's performance was the result of him being a rookie, and that because he's a rookie the Saints' defense couldn't properly game plan for him. That's just a load of crap. Any advantage due to "lack of film" or "surprise" is instantly outweighed by the fact that's it was the man's first game against a pretty damn good defense that should eat a rookie quarterback for lunch. The suggestion that he had some sort of advantage is just pure idiocy. If anything, this should have been one of his worst games in the NFL.

Jenkins is correct, there will be growing pains, but not because future opponents now have film on him. What she should have said was "This moment was the result of talent, diligent planning, and good fortune. He will not always be as successful, so let's prepare for that too."

I guess I disagree again. I wouldn't say that "being a rookie" gave him an advantage as much as the offense we unveiled did. Everything anyone has ever seen on him from pre-season was our standard offense from 2010-2011. The coaches threw in a big wrinkle there with the offensive game plan. I certainly believe that gave us an advantage over their defense. I thought the creativity was BRILLIANT. I agree that Griffin executed things wonderfully, but believe we would have been far less successful running the same plays we'd have run with Grossman. How would that not be an advantage?

The media overhypes RGIII. The next day, the media begins to question whether or not RGIII is overhyped.

Eventually, he'll have a bad game and everyone will freak out and say the sky is falling. Then, the anti-Sally Jenkins will write a column saying relax everyone, it's just one game and there's no need to overreact.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

when I see her name attached to an article, I dont even read it. In fact, I close the paper altogether.

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation. - Rev. William H. Poole

And I just (for now) will repeat--- (with a general use of terms you, your, and you're) how does what someone says dampen your joy? Are you that weak-minded? Does everyone need to line up for you to be ok? Jeeez. The answer is "no" for most of you (I know you).

Does the attempt to dampen spirits have to be successful for it to be validly disliked?

I said earlier in the thread the article would have been better times for this Friday, as a good reminder heading into the Rams game, not right after a win. Plus, nothing she is saying is new, it is the same caution people have been issuing since we drafted RG3. So with nothing new to the table, and with the timing of the article, the focus stays squarely on her trying to lessen the celebration. Given the state of the Redskins lo these many years now, don;t we deserve to celebrate at least through hump day? Is it that necessary to reign it in so quickly?

Those saying she is dumb or has no point are wrong, of course, but I agree with those who have issue with her timing and believe she is merely repeating messages of cautiousness and bringing nothing new to the table.

Archived