Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFCEast Blog from ESPN - RGIII made first drive decisions

Thirtyfive2seven

So I asked Shanahan if this had been by design -- if he'd set up that first drive with those quick passes to help his rookie get into the rhythm of the game without facing pressure from the Saints' defense or pressure to go through progressions while he got his feet under him. Because I figured, if it had been, it was a pretty smart idea.

"No, he has options on those plays," Shanahan said. "He decided to run it that way."

Click on the link for more...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast

"He was pretty good, wasn't he?" a giddy Shanahan asked with a smile on his way back to the locker room.

Just reading this, the giddy part, gave me a warm feeling. I hugged my eight month old son during the game (he was laughing and squealing in his chair every time I cheered) and told him "Thank God you're going to get to grow up with this guy" I would have done the same thing with my 2-1/2 year old daughter, but she was too busy watching Curious George. Still working on her.

Just reading this, the giddy part, gave me a warm feeling. I hugged my eight month old son during the game (he was laughing and squealing in his chair every time I cheered) and told him "Thank God you're going to get to grow up with this guy" I would have done the same thing with my 2-1/2 year old daughter, but she was too busy watching Curious George. Still working on her.

Did you see the smile on his face after the Garcon TD pass when Griff ran over to the sideline? That's the definitionof fare-gushing. lol. I was too.

The best part of that pass was my 2-year old son yelled "Go Skins" during a game for the first time ever.

Very good article.

While watching the game, my wife made the comment that if it were not for the different colored

uniforms, she would swear we were watching Baylor football.

I am talking about that first possesion, it was reminicent of how Robert ran it while in the green and gold.

And when you think about it, it makes alot of sense. The team was on the road in a noisy, hostile enviroment,

Roberts first pro game, he got into a east rythim by doing something he is very familiar with.

His inteligence is off the chart.

I like how on the 88 yard pass Morgan is there pushing Saints guys around to help clear things for Garcon. Not exactly your textbook block setup, but hey, do what you can, which is a lot for Morgan.

I just love the fact that RGIII ran his own offense there. People were concerned RGIII wasn't going to be able to read defenses, and yet, there he was, right out of the gate, playing nearly perfectly, running his own offense, taking what the defense gave him and easing himself into the pace of the game. F-r-e-a-k-i-n' B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!

I remember people saying it after the Bills and Colts games, that RGIII did not look like a rookie out there, that he looked like a franchise QB in his 3rd year. He certainly looked the part yesterday, and hopefully that continues.

Great reads on his part. Did anyone else notice that RG,a t times, reaches down almost brushing the ground with his right hand prior to the step? I know that a lot of QBs stomp thier foot to signal the reciever to go in motion, but I had not seen this before. Maybe he is signalling something to the center to call our the defense? Saw him do it multiple times.

Great reads on his part. Did anyone else notice that RG,a t times, reaches down almost brushing the ground with his right hand prior to the step? I know that a lot of QBs stomp thier foot to signal the reciever to go in motion, but I had not seen this before. Maybe he is signalling something to the center to call our the defense? Saw him do it multiple times.

The arm thing is basically equivalent to the leg stomp. Not sure why some QBs do the leg while others the arm (I would suppose its a preference thing). Many spread offenses in college use the arm rather than leg. RG3 might be more comforatable using his arm to signal to center that he is ready for the snap. Also, another thing I noticed is that the right guard is actually telling the center when RG3 is ready for the snap. I actually saw that in the Pitt-Den game as well. I guess the center does not have to look between his legs before the snap if the guard tells him the QB is ready (or it could be a silent count thing in loud away games).

The arm thing is basically equivalent to the leg stomp. Not sure why some QBs do the leg while others the arm (I would suppose its a preference thing). Many spread offenses in college use the arm rather than leg. RG3 might be more comforatable using his arm to signal to center that he is ready for the snap. Also, another thing I noticed is that the right guard is actually telling the center when RG3 is ready for the snap. I actually saw that in the Pitt-Den game as well. I guess the center does not have to look between his legs before the snap if the guard tells him the QB is ready (or it could be a silent count thing in loud away games).

Thanks. He did it a lot and also was directing recievers a lot on where to be. Nice to see that.

I believe it had something to do with the load crowd in the dome.

follow up....RG3 puts his hand down to signal to guard Chris Chester that he is ready for the snap...Chester then tells the center and the center snaps the ball at a pre determined time. The first half it was 2 seconds and the second half one second.

I love that play call on the 88. I used to draw that up as a backyard QB. Two crossing patterns, "incidental" contact, one guy is wide open. Morgan started blocking immediately, a more legal version of the play.

I also noticed Chester was looking over his shoulder and wondered what was going on. Thanks for clarifying.

Archived