Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gameday Injury Updates (merged--MET)

KevinthePRF

...and they did it for 1/10 of the sararies that the players make today for playing tougher.

The players know damn well what they are signing up for. It is an extremely violent sport that earns an extremely good living. If the league is going to continue to be pussified then maybe the salaries should also be lowered.

You also have to take into account that the gap in talent level is not as big as it used to be. An injured star, in a lot of cases, will not be as effective as a healthy back up. On top of that, a lot of the teams take the choice out of the players hands. Most of the players try to play no matter what, but the teams have such an investment in them they like to stay on the safe side. The injury stuff is not "pussifying" the league. The rules that are in place are a different story...

Most of the players try to play no matter what, but the teams have such an investment in them they like to stay on the safe side.

Is it because of the investment or because the lawsuits?

I for one think the lawsuits are ridiculous. If you spill hot coffee on yourself you will get burned.

If you sign a contract to play in the NFL you will take shots to the head.

Is it because of the investment or because the lawsuits?

I for one think the lawsuits are ridiculous. If you spill hot coffee on yourself you will get burned.

If you sign a contract to play in the NFL you will take shots to the head.

I mean yeah I am with you on that, but I think the lawsuits only really come into play with concussions.

Any word on garçon?

"[Josh] Wilson participated in Wednesday’s practice on a limited basis, according to Shanahan. Shanahan said that wide receiver Pierre Garcon and safety Brandon Meriweather also were limited participants in Wednesday’s practice...Shanahan said that tight end Fred Davis is “fine” after absorbing a hit to the head late in the game in St. Louis"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2012/09/19/cb-josh-wilson-cleared-after-concussion-garcon-meriweather-limited-in-practice/

All players seem to be cleared from worries over concussions, which is some good news for once

I still don't get how this guy could seem fine one minute, and then possibly stay out for two weeks afterwards. Either the injury was worse than originally thought, he injured it further during practice last week, or (from Shanahans comments, saying that his availability dependson how much pain he can tolerate) he's soft. Looks like that's where we're at...

I still don't get how this guy could seem fine one minute, and then possibly stay out for two weeks afterwards. Either the injury was worse than originally thought, he injured it further during practice last week, or (from Shanahans comments, saying that his availability dependson how much pain he can tolerate) he's soft. Looks like that's where we're at...

This Gracon situation is getting on my nerves, if he doesnt play this week I officially look at him as a skirtboy. This is not good that we spent all this money on a guy who wont play with a mild injury/bruise.

This Gracon situation is getting on my nerves, if he doesnt play this week I offically look at him as a skirtboy. This is not good that we spent all this money on a guy who wont play with a mild injury/bruise.

And how exactly do you know its a mild injury or bruise? No one is saying exactly what it is - apart from Shanny's classic "its like a turf toe but not in his toe" comment that is. I'm sure no one is more frustrated than Garcon but we don't want to activate him and then find he can't go after 4 or 5 snaps and then be short handed the rest of the game.

And how exactly do you know its a mild injury or bruise? No one is saying exactly what it is - apart from Shanny's classic "its like a turf toe but not in his toe" comment that is. I'm sure no one is more frustrated than Garcon but we don't want to activate him and then find he can't go after 4 or 5 snaps and then be short handed the rest of the game.

I know because they would have reported it as an injury or an injury that could get worse if he plays, do you listen to the press conferences? Would would Shanny want to make his player look like a pansy if he didnt feel Garcon was acting like a pansy. If you watched some of the pressers you can see the frustration in Shannys face when speaking about Garcon.

I can see if he was bluffing on the injury to keep St Louis on their heels but thats not the case because Garcon didnt play so why else would he want to hide an injury.

I know because they would have reported it as an injury or an injury that could get worse if he plays, do you listen to the press conferences? Would would Shanny want to make his player look like a pansy if he didnt feel Garcon was acting like a pansy. If you watched some of the pressers you can see the frustration in Shannys face when speaking about Garcon.

I have watched the press conferences and I know enough to never take anything Shanny says in them at face value, especially about injuries. When coaches talk about injuries they never ever give anything away and often down right lie - having the Rams think Garcon was possibly going to play when the team probably knew internally it was very unlikely was a competitive advantage. This week? Who knows - if it is relatively minor it should have settled down by now and he will probably be OK but if he misses this week as well then its time to start getting concerned.

Agreed, I'll give PG the benfit of the doubt not playing 1 game, but if misses 2 then he is a pansy. You got London out there playing every game for how many yrs? You see guys playing with severe injuries all the time (Sundberg), and he basically has a bone bruise and is out. The x rays were negative, meaning its probably not something thats going to get alot worse. as shanny said, its about pain tolerance. I dont understand how this injury even happened, after he scored the TD he was jumping around without a limp. WTF? Im just starting to get pissed. Maybe bc I have him on fantasy and Julio Jones layed an egg and my other WRs suck, but comeon...sack up and play

I can see if he was bluffing on the injury to keep St Louis on their heels but thats not the case because Garcon didnt play so why else would he want to hide an injury.

You can NOT listen to Shanny on injuries. He told us that it was all about pain tolerance and that it wouldn't hurt it anymore to play on it. Garcon wanted to try to see if he could go before the game and Shanny told us he decided to hold him out because he was afraid it would set him back.

That is two contradicting statements. Garcon has never had the reputation of a soft player, one of the reasons we paid so much for him was because of his physicality, which is what you need from a WR for our running game. I guess if I said not to overreact, that would fall on deaf ears?

This Gracon situation is getting on my nerves, if he doesnt play this week I officially look at him as a skirtboy. This is not good that we spent all this money on a guy who wont play with a mild injury/bruise.

He has missed 2 games in every season (2008-2010) and played all 16 in 2011. For the most part pretty durable. If he can play i think he plays and we need him out there.

You can NOT listen to Shanny on injuries. He told us that it was all about pain tolerance and that it wouldn't hurt it anymore to play on it. Garcon wanted to try to see if he could go before the game and Shanny told us he decided to hold him out because he was afraid it would set him back.

That is two contradicting statements. Garcon has never had the reputation of a soft player, one of the reasons we paid so much for him was because of his physicality, which is what you need from a WR for our running game. I guess if I said not to overreact, that would fall on deaf ears?

So your saying Shanny is lying and really Garcon is very hurt but we have decided to misrepresent his injury, sorry but why would he do that?, it makes no sense for a head coach to say a player has a mild injury that cannot become worse and its all about pain only to cover up an injury that is much worse. I could see this making sense if Garcon actually played last week or plays this weekend even though Cincininatti will prepare for him no matter what Shanny says. The whole thing sounds fishey to me and I just dont believe is a strategic move by Shanny based on the fact he didnt play last week.

---------- Post added September-20th-2012 at 10:05 AM ----------

Easy enough to suggest that an NFL wideout is a "pansy" while sitting comfortably at your computer, far from the aforementioned wideout. I doubt that would occur if he was in the next chair.

What a stupid comeback, we are just debating the topic. Nobody is saying they are tough enough to play NFL football but these guys get paid alot of money to play through injuries.

Archived