Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

twitter.com: GM Bruce Allen on possibly re-signing Cooley: "Yes, absolutely that door is still open. We have a meeting next week."

flexxskins

This indicates to me that the Cooley release had more to do with money and less to do with ability. I would be thrilled to see Cooley back in Burgundy and Gold this season.

Or perhaps a little of both, we wouldn't have been getting ability at the right cost. A new cost could make it work.

Not sure that this is a cap driven move to be honest...

Cooley was too emotional when he was cut to suggest this was planned from the start' date=' imo....

If he doesn't want to sign elsewhere, I can see Bruce finding him another role within the organisation.[/quote']

Well I'm sure Bruce Allen said something like "Hey Chris, we've decided to let you go based on the numbers, we think you've been great for the franchise and honestly we might be able to re-sign you after week 1 on a new deal, but I can't promise you anything, I wish you the best of luck and we'll stay in touch in case something comes up"

Even hearing something like that, you're STILL going to be emotional when conducting a press conference for exiting the only team you've known and absolutely love playing for. At such a point the possibility of coming back seems like a 50/50 possibility (or worse), but probably enough to say the words "for now" to reflect the possibility and to maintain his own hope that he wont have to put on another jersey. Just my 2 cents.

We need to move on. Cooley needs to move on as well. At this point in his career the guy will be nothing more than a waste of a roster spot.

Isn't Cooley your age? It's not like he's a 37 year old TE who can't play anymore. If he's healed then he might have a couple years left. Guys like Manning, Rivers, and dozens of other players came from the same draft and have 5+ years left. Whitten has been around longer in this same division.

Come home Captain Chaos!!!!

---------- Post added September-7th-2012 at 07:29 PM ----------

We need to move on. Cooley needs to move on as well. At this point in his career the guy will be nothing more than a waste of a roster spot.

So if Davis gets a failed test you would RATHER HAVE Paul and Paulsen as your TEs and NOT a HEALTHY Cooley?

I'm a Cooley fan but I think Paulson is a better TE at this point. He's bigger, a better blocker, and has underrated receiving ability.

So you are falling for Paulson's potential? We have nothing concrete by citing his "underrated receiving ability". Clearly we have no idea how Cooley will fair this year injury free but history tells us he has great receiving ability in tough situations consistently. We also know he can block. I am excited at the prospect of him returning to the Skins.

Come home Captain Chaos!!!!

---------- Post added September-7th-2012 at 07:29 PM ----------

So if Davis gets a failed test you would RATHER HAVE Paul and Paulsen as your TEs and NOT a HEALTHY Cooley?

A injury will have to occur for him to come back... pump the brakes. IF skins really intended on signing Chris they would not announce it to the rest of the world a week ahead of time. Chris had no knowledge such a meeting was even set up.

I'll I heard was Camp Cooley is going to be happy as a pig in **** and Camp Brandon Banks is going to be full of piss and vinegar. Or... are they the one in the same?

Seriously... who goes if you bring him back? I'd love to say Reed Doughty, but apparently he's too important to Danny Smith to take him off the roster....

I'll I heard was Camp Cooley is going to be happy as a pig in **** and Camp Brandon Banks is going to be full of piss and vinegar. Or... are they the one in the same?

Seriously... who goes if you bring him back? I'd love to say Reed Doughty, but apparently he's too important to Danny Smith to take him off the roster....

He would replace a injured TE or a injured Young IF they were to get injured. Cooley is the first call option IF we need a player at that spot.

He would replace a injured TE or a injured Young IF they were to get injured. Cooley is the first call option IF we need a player at that spot.

I understand this entire scenario can be predicated on an injury occuring, but hasn't Shanny been less than conservative with his definition of the word "injured" in the past?

I understand this entire scenario can be predicated on an injury occuring, but hasn't Shanny been less than conservative with his definition of the word "injured" in the past?

Yeah but people are taking Allen and Shannys comments the wrong way. As long as Cooley is unsigned he will always be the first phone call if we have a need due to injury. I find it tough to believe If Shanny really wanted him right now he would cut bait and leave him on the open market. Can people change their mind tho, yes absolutely. I would be shocked if they just signed Cooley and released someone else to make it happen without a injury forcing the move.

Yeah but people are taking Allen and Shannys comments the wrong way. As long as Cooley is unsigned he will always be the first phone call if we have a need due to injury. I find it tough to believe If Shanny really wanted him right now he would cut bait and leave him on the open market. Can people change their mind tho, yes absolutely. I would be shocked if they just signed Cooley and released someone else to make it happen without a injury forcing the move.

completely understand, i'm just curious of a scenario (and unfortunately I don't enough about the rules/regs to know exactly how it would play out) whereby we come out of the saints game with almost a guarantee that somebody is going to come up with a gimp, or a headache, or something, thus possibly allowing an opportunity to present itself where said "injured" player can be replaced by Cooley (again I don't know the rules well enough to forumulate a really good conspiracy theory :), but i'm sure Bruce & Shanny do), and it wouldn't have to much of a longterm effect on the current roster as its presently set.

Okay. So that's what the meeting is about then. Good on Cooley for bleeding B&G... I just hope we don't have to go that route... I just think his body can't handle the weight he needs to have to be successful at tight end anymore.

thanks, LL.

YES!!!!! Bring back Cooley, from everything ive read the coaches and players say that Cooley looked good. They just couldnt afford to pay him that much. I want to see him get another chance on the field, to prove what he can do........... Because regardless if your opinion is that he is older and washed up, nobody has seen what he can do since he has been healthy this year. In his preseason games, he was blocking the majority of the time, and when he did get to run an occasional route, balls were not getting thrown his way...... Come back Cooley, lets see what you got left. I for one believe you when you say "I truely believe I can still play at a high level".

Okay. So that's what the meeting is about then. Good on Cooley for bleeding B&G... I just hope we don't have to go that route... I just think his body can't handle the weight he needs to have to be successful at tight end anymore.

thanks, LL.

I'm not sure exactly what the meeting is about and by his recent comments i'm not sure Cooley does either. I'm just going off of convos I have had with a few people.

I think that this has definitely been the Redskins plan all along, and I think Cooley knew about it from the onset. He may not have been happy about it (and who would be knowing you have to miss the first game of the season), but I definitely think he knew about it. Something always struck me about the words he chose to use during his press conference...

"The Washington Redskins are releasing me today. So today, for the time being, will be my last day as a Redskin."

I guess you could argue he was referring to retiring as a Redskin, or if he was told they would call him if someone was hurt....but that's not the way I took it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2feVsqcf2Go

Dayum.

There still appears to be a whole bunch of sentimentalists that can't let go and put love for an all time Redskins great over actual worth to the 2012 roster.

Niles Paul might not be the answer. He was horrid pre-season. HORRID! But the staff are still REAL high on him. And even as bad as he was out there with all the drops et all, he still gives the speed and athleticism that's needed in this scheme as we open up and grow with RGIII. Chris, sadly, through injury and age, no longer offers that.

Whether Paul transitions to TE or not, CC is sadly no longer the answer.

Hail.

This indicates to me that the Cooley release had more to do with money and less to do with ability. I would be thrilled to see Cooley back in Burgundy and Gold this season.

In pro sports there is almost always a direct correlation between money and ability. It's not always the case (see Haynesworth Albert) but in this case the role Cooley would have had on this team (backup TE/FB) was not worth what his contract had being paid. At a reduced contract after week 1 when nothing would be guaranteed maybe there is a role - but to sign him you have to cut someone, who?

Archived