Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

twitter.com: GM Bruce Allen on possibly re-signing Cooley: "Yes, absolutely that door is still open. We have a meeting next week."

flexxskins

https://twitter.com/Redskins/statuses/244122334049484800

http://www.twackle.com/sitebar?url=http%3A%2F%2Fprofootballtalk.nbcsports.com%2F2012%2F09%2F07%2Fredskins-chris-cooley-meeting-next-week%2F%3FSportsRoadhouse.com%3D

Redskins, Chris Cooley meeting next week

Posted by Josh Alper on September 7, 2012, 2:02 PM EDT

During the emotional press conference announcing his release from the Redskins, tight end Chris Cooley was careful to say that it was his last day with the team “for now.”

That suggested the possibility of a return to Washington at a salary well below the $3.8 million he was scheduled to make this season. There’s some more fuel on that fire Friday after Redskins General Manager Bruce Allen said that the team has been talking to Cooley since he got dropped near the end of August.

“Yes, absolutely that door is still open,” Allen said, via the team’s Twitter account. “We have a meeting next week.”

The timing works out a little better for the Redskins than Cooley. By waiting until after Week One, the Redskins won’t need to guarantee Cooley’s salary for the entire season although their desire to bring him back suggests that the problem was his salary and not his ability to still contribute to the team. Cooley’s had time to get a sense of what kind of market there is for his services, which he can use to negotiate his way back to familiar surroundings in D.C.

There’s plenty of other teams who might like to avail themselves of the non-guaranteed salary, especially if they lose a key tight end this weekend, so it’s early to start rewriting Cooley’s name onto the Redskins roster. It wouldn’t be surprising if it still winds up happening, though.

Who loses a roster spot if that happens is my only concern. I love me some Cooley, and I haven't seen anything from Niles Paul yet, but sometimes it's just best to rip the bandaid off.

I haven't seen anything from Niles Paul either so I'm not terribly concerned with him. I don't subscribe to the belief that every player that fails to get on the field is likely to be any good.

"The Redskins could re-sign Cooley for a lower salary than the $3.8 million he was to make this season before he was released. That contract no longer is in effect, and the Redskins would have to sign him to a new deal to bring him back.

By re-signing Cooley after their opening game, the Redskins also would avoid having to guarantee Cooley’s salary for the entire season. Under the terms of the sport’s collective bargaining agreement, if a vested veteran such as Cooley is on a team’s roster for its opening game, his salary is essentially guaranteed for the entire season even if he doesn’t remain with that club all season (although a player is eligible to exercise that right only once in his career). If such a player is signed after the first game, his salary is not guaranteed in that way."

That's awesome, I've thought all along he was our 2nd best te, and a huge asset to our blocking. Watch him on the big morris run v Indy. He first seals the edge, then gets to the next level and puts his hat on a lb.

Queue the temper tantrum from a few members, hopefully they leave his love life out of it this time.

Who loses a roster spot if that happens is my only concern. I love me some Cooley, and I haven't seen anything from Niles Paul yet, but sometimes it's just best to rip the bandaid off.

Roster structure change due to injury, future game plans and other issues. All Bruce was saying is that if (probably when) those lead us to need another TE, Cooley would be in the mix for consideration.

---------- Post added September-7th-2012 at 03:45 PM ----------

I would think it would be Paulson's spot and not Paul or Davis....that is if Fred hasn't fell off the wagon.....again :)

No specific person and may be replacing a player who plays a totally different spot. If the need for a 4th TE, someone is injured, gets traded for a pick or fails to live up to his promise, Cooley is in the mix to be re-signed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2012/09/07/no-sign-yet-if-a-team-will-sign-chris-cooley/

Reading the article it seems to me this was the plan all along. We just screwed the league back for screwing us. I love it!

I like the thought, but I'm not sure Cooley would have had such an emotional, heart-felt goodbye, and I don't think we would have waited so long, if this was set in stone the entire time. I think it was always an option, and now they're going to meet and explore the possibility.

For the vet min, I don't mind this at all. And I was one of those screaming for Cooley to get cut before.

if this was the plan all along, cooley deserves a freaking oscar for his moving farewell speech. nah, i think allen is just keeping the door open in case there's an injury.

i LIKE niles paul, i do, but frankly, between him and cooley in terms of TE ability ... it's not even close. niles has looked borderline lost at TE, and i have serious doubts about his blocking remotely comparing to cooley's. he's not big enough, and he has zero experience at the position. oh well, that ship has sailed.

Archived