Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN and the use of ".vs" instead of "at" (A Get Off my Lawn! Thread)

Fergasun

I happen to be on travel this week and was/am watching ESPN right now. So on Sportscenter they were doing promo for "Yankees vs. Rays" and I was trying my best to figure out who the home team was. I always thought games were promoted as "Yankees at Rays" so it was clear which team was the home team. Maybe this has been going on for awhile, and my lack of watching much sports on ESPN caused me to be confused. In fact, I intentionally waited to watch through Sportscenter so I could see where the game was being played. It turns out "Yankees .vs Rays" means the same thing as "Yankees at Rays", a home game for Tampa Bay!

Why doesn't ESPN use the term "AT" instead of ".VS" to provide better quality information to viewers! When was this change made?! Incidentally all the games on their ticker are promoted as this way as well, what is wrong with the word "at" to denote the home team!

In retaliation I shall post a description of the game, which may violate some copyright.

The first two Yankee batters were retired in the top of the first; the third batter, Nick Swisher took the pitcher to 3-2 and walked . The first pitco to Cano was high for a ball. Cano has had some hip issues and may not have been in the lineup. The second pitch to Cano was outside, making the count 2-0. Cano stepped out to spit on his gloves. He steps back in and takes the 3rd pitch, it was borderline high but called a strike, so the count is now 2-1. A Rod is watching from on deck. The next pitch is driven to left field for a home-run. The score is now Yankees 2-0.

---------- Post added September-4th-2012 at 04:20 PM ----------

Cano took a fastball the other way.

A Rod, #13 is now the batter. The first pitch is taken for a strike. The second pitch, a looping slow curve was hit up the middle, through the pitcher but taken by the 2nd baseman for a 4-3 put out. That ends the inning.

Take that you scoundrels up in Connecticut!

---------- Post added September-4th-2012 at 04:20 PM ----------

Cano took a fastball the other way.

A Rod, #13 is now the batter. The first pitch is taken for a strike. The second pitch, a looping slow curve was hit up the middle, through the pitcher but taken by the 2nd baseman for a 4-3 put out. That ends the inning.

Take that you scoundrels up in Connecticut!

I always thought that "at" was used instead of ".vs" and that when ".vs" was used it was beacuse the FIRST team was the home team.

Hence Team X vs. Team Y; team X is home team.... why not use "at"?!

Do you see why this bugs me! Maybe this switched happen long, long ago... and I have stopped paying close attention to ESPN due to family obligations and I had a chance to pay attention and I was confused...

Normally, I think vs is more appropriate when you're listing two teams. (And, far as I know, the home team is listed last. Although that might vary with sport. I think baseball lists the home team last, because they bat last).

Where I see "at" used, is when listing schedules, where you're only listing one team:

At NO

Dallas

at NYG.

And so forth.

Well if you're doing sports grammar rants there are a lot to choose from...

Technically it should be times out, not time outs.

And it is on track, not untracked. That is, you want to keep on track, not untracked as that would mean being derailed.

If the "vs" is used, the first team listed is the home team. That's the way its always been. If "at" is used, the first team listed is away. Again, always been that way. If ESPN is changing that, well we might just have to start a boycott.
Huzzah! You see, I'm not going crazy here. That's why I thought that "Yankees vs. Rays" was going to be at Yankee Stadium. Than Sportscenter showed some breakaway and I thought "wait, that's Tropicana Field... shouldn't it be either 'Rays vs. Yankees' or 'Yankees at Rays' "?

Their ticker had it the same way... "Red Sox vs. Mariners" was a game being played at 10:05 eastern... that wasn't a home game for the Red Sox... it was in Seattle. Check it out next time you see ESPN... living up to the evil 4-letter moniker.

Huzzah! You see, I'm not going crazy here. That's why I thought that "Yankees vs. Rays" was going to be at Yankee Stadium. Than Sportscenter showed some breakaway and I thought "wait, that's Tropicana Field... shouldn't it be either 'Rays vs. Yankees' or 'Yankees at Rays' "?

It should be either Rays vs. Yankees or Yankees at Rays.

If you are looking at a schedule of your teams games, usually you will list your team first, and alternate using "vs" or "at", depending on whether you are home or away. If ESPN is using "vs" and listing the Yankees first, they should all be shot. You just don't do that. Jock sniffers.

Tim Tebow Channel FTL.

Next up on the Tim Tebow Channel! Is Tim Tebow the new Special Teams Coach? For the COWBOYS???? Cowboys Cowboys Cowboys.

Cowboys

Cowboys *ahem*heatpenguinsyankeesyankeesyankees*ahem*

Oh, and here's a days worth of girls softball, pool, bowling and little league baseball.

This is one of the most epic posts I have ever seen. It may end up in my sig one day. This is hilarious.

What really got me was at the end. I HATE those days. You can't find something sports fans want to watch more than that!?

And it is on track, not untracked. That is, you want to keep on track, not untracked as that would mean being derailed.

Their ticker had it the same way... "Red Sox vs. Mariners" was a game being played at 10:05 eastern... that wasn't a home game for the Red Sox... it was in Seattle. Check it out next time you see ESPN... living up to the evil 4-letter moniker.

I'm with you guys.

And I hate the untracked thing also. And nobody catches the ball at its highest point...they catch it at their highest point.

Tonight on versus... Capitals vs Sharks at the VeriZon Center

Well, Vs network is gone, so now what are you going to do? :pfft::ols:

If the "vs" is used, the first team listed is the home team. That's the way its always been. If "at" is used, the first team listed is away. Again, always been that way. If ESPN is changing that, well we might just have to start a boycott.

Sign me up. I'll boycott anything ESPN.

Runs Batted In. Should be RBI, not RBI's.

The 2nd team listed is the home team, always has been. Home team score is always on bottom too. U guys b trippin

In America it is. But if you watch other countries, the home team is on top or listed first. Funny how the rest of the world does stuff one way and the US through all the years, it seems they went out of their way not to do things like the rest of the world. Examples: Side of the road we drive on, metric system, soccer not popular....

In America it is. But if you watch other countries, the home team is on top or listed first. Funny how the rest of the world does stuff one way and the US through all the years, it seems they went out of their way not to do things like the rest of the world. Examples: Side of the road we drive on, metric system, soccer not popular....

left side of road, is that the rest of the world really? i thought it was the uk.

I prefer this driving on the left side thing.

Daylight savings is a US only thing and not even all the US. Some states realize how dumb it is.

I still write my dates like the military and the rest of the world too. Why would you put the month first? It makes zero sense.

Back on track, the only thing that really gets my goat is when they refer to having A insert player name. To say having Crabtree is like having an Andre Johnson is one thing, but having A Crabtree, when you're talking about THEE Crabtree is annoying.

I have to agree with you KB about the daylight savings thing.

The dates...I don't really notice. Pretty clear when you see the slash marks.

---------- Post added September-5th-2012 at 11:14 AM ----------

I don't know which islands are left lane islands. I know the US and BVIs all are.

That was a post for Major...not you. :silly:

Archived