Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Wait whut? Da-Rick Rodgers was drafted? Wow.........

I wouldn't mind kickin the tires on Jefferson either.

I hope we bring in a read-option capable QB too a Matt Scott or Ryan Aplin

Did you notice a theme with our secondary? Turnovers.

In a league where having a shutdown defense is nearly impossible having players that create turnovers (interceptions in this case) is critical. Amerson, Rambo and Thomas all get picks.

Imagine the interception potential of a secondary with Hall/Amerson/Rambo/Thomas?

I think passes defensed (INTS + PBUs) are a good indicator of future NFL success when they come in tandem with NFL measurables. If you look at the top passes defensed guys, each year, you see a lot of the players who end up being good in the NFL (Casey Heyward, Glover Quin, Rahim Moore, Mark Barron are some recent ones).

You get a ton of obvious false positives. But you can rule them out easily by ruling out the guys who don't have NFL size + athleticism, rule out the ones who won't even get looks in the draft.

Most of the good players make good plays. Production is important for defensive players IMO. It's translatable because defensive schemes and roles in CFB aren't as different from NFL ones as offensive schemes and roles are. And production comes as a result of having good instincts a lot of the time. Anticipation/instincts is probably the single most important skill for a defensive player.

But further, we got three DBs who produce turnovers at an extreme level. My thinking is that we want lots of turnovers at the expense of giving up big scoring plays because we have such a dominant ball control offense and it's more important for us to dominate time of possession than to avoid giving up long plays and quick scores. The philosophy is a good one--so long as the offense is playing well. But if the offense falls apart, then the strategy will fall apart too.

Another thing I notice is how big those three DBs are. All weigh in the mid 200 and teens. Amerson is 6'2 and the safeties are 6'1. Those guys add a ton of size to a secondary that was very small and kind of slow before hand. We simply couldn't match up with the Bengals last season. I'm thinking we didn't want to have that problem any more. Amerson should be able to match up with any WR in the league physically. Rambo and Thomas should be big enough to handle anybody too.

Wait whut? Da-Rick Rodgers was drafted? Wow.........

I wouldn't mind kickin the tires on Jefferson either.

I hope we bring in a read-option capable QB too a Matt Scott or Ryan Aplin

Did you notice a theme with our secondary? Turnovers.

In a league where having a shutdown defense is nearly impossible having players that create turnovers (interceptions in this case) is critical. Amerson, Rambo and Thomas all get picks.

Imagine the interception potential of a secondary with Hall/Amerson/Rambo/Thomas?

Yeah turnovers is definitely the drill with those guys, and they added B. Jenkins who in theory provides depth to the pass rush. Pass rush, pressure, turnovers. Xavier Nixon who they signed could IMO compete for a starting job.

---------- Post added April-28th-2013 at 08:36 AM ----------

Another thing I notice is how big those three DBs are. All weigh in the mid 200 and teens. Amerson is 6'2 and the safeties are 6'1. Those guys add a ton of size to a secondary that was very small and kind of slow before hand. We simply couldn't match up with the Bengals last season. I'm thinking we didn't want to have that problem any more. Amerson should be able to match up with any WR in the league physically. Rambo and Thomas should be big enough to handle anybody too.

This is a big Greg Cosell thing. he likes to say size matters now when it comes to the secondary. Tall receivers and TEs present mismatches to short corners and safeties. Now we got Biggers, Amerson, Thomas and Rambo who all have size.

I think passes defensed (INTS + PBUs) are a good indicator of future NFL success when they come in tandem with NFL measurables.

From my vantage point i've never been big on prediction when it comes to looking at prospects. I just do my best to rank the prospects based on what I see. Stats are a piece to the puzzle but stats are always linked to scheme/role and surrounding talent.
But further, we got three DBs who produce turnovers at an extreme level. My

thinking is that we want lots of turnovers at the expense of giving up big

scoring plays because we have such a dominant ball control offense and it's more

important for us to dominate time of possession than to avoid giving up long

plays and quick scores. The philosophy is a good one--so long as the offense is

playing well. But if the offense falls apart, then the strategy will fall apart

too.

I don't view gaining turnovers as an either or propositions vs giving up big plays. Hopefully through coaching and discipline the mistakes can be brought to an average level. I view gaining interceptions as mutually exclusive from giving up big plays.

My view is that players who have ball skills and display a knack for interceptions (like my Corey Lynch lol) tend to make more interceptions then those that don't regardless of scheme. And if we play with a lead and are allowed to get after teams with pass rush it sets up a secondary full of ball hawks with more opportunities to make plays.

---------- Post added April-28th-2013 at 04:55 PM ----------

This is a big Greg Cosell thing. he likes to say size matters now when it comes to the secondary. Tall receivers and TEs present mismatches to short corners and safeties. Now we got Biggers, Amerson, Thomas and Rambo who all have size.

Yup, I like the way our defense is trending; even if there are SAFs I had ranked higher. But if these guys are coachable and hard working I think they can be solid starters (or better) given the right role and smart/hard coaching.

What does it matter?

As much as it was brought up around here and spoken as fact I figured I'd bring it up. I recall quite a few people dismissing Amerson and other targets simply because they weren't Sr's or (rs)Jr's. More or less an I told you so moment.

Back to the draft though I'm already wondering which rookies step up and earn ORoY and DRoY honors this coming year. At this point I can't see anyone who is in great position for either award.

The top pass rushers were so raw that I don't think any of them hit double digit sacks, maybe Teo or Arthur Brown are in good places to put up stats. Defensive backs typically don't win it. Perhaps Sharrif could put up enough sacks to win it as a DT.

On offense it's a mess. Montee Ball and Lacy are in good spots to start imo, but are on pass-first offenses. I don't expect much from the qb's, and most of the early wr were brought in to compliment #1's, not to be #1's. The exception there is possibly Patterson, but he's pretty raw and has Ponder throwing to him, and maybe Allen in San Diego.

Tavon seems like a lock for OROTY, he's pretty much guaranteed to catch 75+ passes, put up some rushing numbers, and make a dent in the return game (I assume). If he stays healthy, of course. But he's well put together for a small dude, and really only weighs 9 pounds less than T.Y. Hilton while being an inch shorter. He played RB in high school and got tons of touches in college and has never been injured. Literally, he's never even missed a single practice. The NFL is a whole different ballgame, but he's on another level in terms of speed and elusiveness. He plays smart and he's basically a brand of WR we've never seen before. I could see him having a monster year with check-down Bradford at the helm and running Amendola's routes.

If I just look at the players that the Skins got, w/out a draft number next them, I really think they did a good job. I think there are @ least two potential starters out of this mix, w/ the possibility of 4. If anything, they added depth, which all good teams need.

But when I start looking @ the players that they passed up, I start scratching my head. Did anyone else have Amerson going that high? I feel that the Skins reached for a player @ a position of need, when they could have addressed some of their other holes w/ players who dropped, who would have been a better value pick. The Skins were a different team w/ a healthy Garcon; I feel that the Skins should have taken a shot @ WR Keenan Allen or Terrance Williams w/ the 2nd rder. Or they could have gone w/ Arthur Brown @ LB. Allen and Brown should not have fallen that far, and both would have helped the Skins out tremendously and immediately.

Picking TE J. Reed in the 3rd was also odd. Feel that they could have traded down and acquired more picks/future picks instead of picking a TE if they did not see a player that they liked. Is Reed that much better then Joseph Fauria? Who gets bumped from the roster for his spot? Barret Jones would have been a nice addition for team that needs OL help/depth. Or they could have taken a safety like D. Williams or S. Thomas w/ the 3rd, and then selected a WR w/ the 4th, such as Q. Patton.

Chris Thompson, Brandon Jenkins and Jawan Jamison are good players, but as a fan, I am tired of dealing w/ injuries & injury prone players. Who cares how much potential they have if they are not on the field?

Would really like to know if they ever considered Da’Rick Rogers or Ray Ray Armstrong. The players have question marks but thought their skill set could help the Skins.

Sooooo...... we should have spent the 2nd round pick on guys that went in the 3rd, just forgot about additions to the secondary and ignored guys that got injured for knuckleheads with self-inflicted wounds? Sorry, can't see the plan in this...........

Tavon seems like a lock for OROTY, he's pretty much guaranteed to catch 75+ passes, put up some rushing numbers, and make a dent in the return game (I assume). If he stays healthy, of course. But he's well put together for a small dude, and really only weighs 9 pounds less than T.Y. Hilton while being an inch shorter. He played RB in high school and got tons of touches in college and has never been injured. Literally, he's never even missed a single practice. The NFL is a whole different ballgame, but he's on another level in terms of speed and elusiveness. He plays smart and he's basically a brand of WR we've never seen before. I could see him having a monster year with check-down Bradford at the helm and running Amendola's routes.

My best friends a WVU fan and his view on Tavon is similar to what people talked about last season with Russell Wilson. Tavon has a knack for knowing how NOT to take a big hit. When to go out of bounds, when to start going to the ground, how to position his body to not take a hit straight on, etc. It's part of what's helped him, thus far, stay healthy despite being a "Smaller" reciever.

Sooooo...... we should have spent the 2nd round pick on guys that went in the 3rd, just forgot about additions to the secondary and ignored guys that got injured for knuckleheads with self-inflicted wounds? Sorry, can't see the plan in this...........

A. Brown went in the 2nd. Keenan Allen did go in the 3rd, but I feel that the potential is there for him to be a legit #2, borderline #1.

Never said to ignore the secondary. Said they reached on Amerson. Could have selected Brown or Allen @ the 2, and Amerson would still have been around @ the 3.

Also never said that they should have selected Ray Ray or Da' Rick instead of Thompson, Jenkins or Jamison; wondered if they thought about adding them as undrafted free agents. Point being w/ Thompson, Jenkins and Jamison is that there were healthy players on the board who I felt could contribute immediately on ST and as backups.

Shanny wasn't completely discouraged by knuckleheads, he selected Rambo, who served a suspension last year.

Check my math here fellas, is this an unreasonable wish list?

2. DJ Swearinger, S, South Carolina

3. David Amerson, CB, NC State

4. Duke Williams, S, Nevada

5. Marcus Davis, WR, Va Tech

5. Oday Aboushi, OT, UVA

6. Chris Thompson, RB, Florida State

7. Philip Lutzenkirchen, TE, Auburn

I went 2 out of 7. Should've picked Thomas or Rambo... but I, along with everyone, thought that they'd be gone by then.

But when I start looking @ the players that they passed up, I start scratching my head. Did anyone else have Amerson going that high? I feel that the Skins reached for a player @ a position of need, when they could have addressed some of their other holes w/ players who dropped, who would have been a better value pick. The Skins were a different team w/ a healthy Garcon; I feel that the Skins should have taken a shot @ WR Keenan Allen or Terrance Williams w/ the 2nd rder. Or they could have gone w/ Arthur Brown @ LB. Allen and Brown should not have fallen that far, and both would have helped the Skins out tremendously and immediately.

Your post, in whole, represents my thoughts on our draft...

the only difference is I didn't mind the Jenkins pick. a broken foot is no big deal, and this guy had close to round 1 potential the previous year.

the thing to remember is that redskins management has set a strong foundation on the roster over the last couple of years. they have shown that they don't pick guys that they don't have a plan for. after looking at game tape for reed and Thompson, I can see what shanny and kyle see, potential nightmares for defensive coordinators... and that potential must have been so much that it negated the selection of other offensive weapons, because there were definitely some still on the board. also, we have a lot of questions on our roster about rb and te, so those picks did fill a need.

Amerson was generally a 2nd rounder, though some places had him as a 3rd rounder. Scouts Inc. really bashed him, somewhat unfairly IMO. Amerson was all over in mocks as well, I'd seen him as high as the late first, to as late as the 3rd.

But there's three main reasons I don't think he's a reach:

1. His ceiling. Pretty much everyone, regardless of where they actually mocked him, said Amerson had 1st round and #1 corner POTENTIAL. After his sophomore year everyone expected him to be a first rounder, but he took a step back because of lack of discipline. That discipline problem is fixable under the right conditions, and if he does, he could develop into a #1 corner.

2. I'm fairly certain Amerson was "our guy" and the highest corner/player on our big board. Consider that Jamar Taylor was still there at 51. Taylor was mocked pretty much universally as a late 1st to mid-2nd guy, and he fit the Shanahan mold very well, being a senior and all. Yet we passed on Taylor, and chose Amerson. In addition, DJ Swearinger was still on the board, and we passed on him. Considering all the secondary talent that was on the board when we picked, and that we still went for Amerson, I have to imagine the FO felt Amerson was the best player on the board.

3. If we'd waited we likely would have missed not only Amerson, but many other good corners. We picked Amerson at 51. By pick 70 SIX more corners had come off the board, and by the time we picked at 85, a seventh went as well. If we hadn't picked Amerson right when we did, we almost certainly would have missed not only him, but that entire tier, and then some, of corners.

As for WR, I don't necessarily disagree, I'd have liked to add a WR, but I think our WR corps is in pretty decent shape, and obviously Amerson being BPA means he gets to be the guy.

Picking TE J. Reed in the 3rd was also odd. Feel that they could have traded down and acquired more picks/future picks instead of picking a TE if they did not see a player that they liked. Is Reed that much better then Joseph Fauria? Who gets bumped from the roster for his spot?

I think they did see a player they liked. Shanahan said as much after the pick, that they loved Reed, had him as the TOP pass catching tight end in the class, and was too good to pass up. He probably is way ahead of Fauria on their board.

In addition, I think the pick is good from the receiving corp standpoint, in that Reed is going to be a hybrid TE/WR, "joker" player. He's not a 6'6" hulking blocking tight end, he's a quick guy who complements Davis well, or alternatively, if Davis isn't healthy (or leaves after this year) replaces him.

And the guy who gets bumped from the roster is either Paul, who didn't seem to grow into the role well, or Peterson, who likely will go back to the practice squad. So no major losses.

Barret Jones would have been a nice addition for team that needs OL help/depth. Or they could have taken a safety like D. Williams or S. Thomas w/ the 3rd, and then selected a WR w/ the 4th, such as Q. Patton.

I think the notion that we "need OL help/depth" is a little off. We have solid starters for everywhere on the line except RT, and solid backups for those spots as well. Silverback's got the left end, but Lich, Monty, and Chester were solid starters who we don't need to replace just yet, and LeRib, Gettis, and Hurt are decent backups. LeRib is likely a starter quality guy who we have for depth, and Gettis and Hurt might develop similarly.

Barrett Jones is a center, and wasn't really going to improve the team, or even help the depth that much, unless we lost most of our starting linemen, in which case we have bigger problems to worry about.

As for going safety in the 3rd then WR in the 4th, we basically hit those two spots (Reed being a joker and all), only reversed. And we got very good value on Phillip Thomas, who was considered a 2nd or 3rd rounder most places. Then you add Rambo in the 6th, and I don't really think we could have addressed safety any better than we did this draft.

Chris Thompson, Brandon Jenkins and Jawan Jamison are good players, but as a fan, I am tired of dealing w/ injuries & injury prone players. Who cares how much potential they have if they are not on the field?

I don't disagree, but they must not be too concerned about injury if they picked them up. Jamison and Jenkins should be completely recovered by camp, especially Jenkins, he looked good at his pro-day. It's funny, because the guy I have the most questions about is Thompson, and we took him earliest of the three, so I'm guessing they feel pretty confident about his recovery.

I don't believe this is a Malcolm Kelly style deal where we went rogue from our scouts and picked an injury prone guy. Even if we did, the impact is much less because he's a 5th rounder.

Would really like to know if they ever considered Da’Rick Rogers or Ray Ray Armstrong. The players have question marks but thought their skill set could help the Skins.

Probably not, especially with Rogers. We drafted some people with injury concerns, but not really anybody with off the field concerns, unless you count Rambo, but Rambo had a personal tragedy around the same time he got caught for weed, so I don't think it's a major issue. We deviated from the senior norm, but seem to have stuck to drafting high character guys.

Honestly, I don't get the O-Line thing. I think it's almost became a habitural thing for Redskins fans. We neglected the O-Line for so many years that we just have that instinct to not see an O-Line drafted and immedietely go "BOOO".

In reality, this regime has been investing in O-Line over the past few drafts. And because of that, we actually are pretty okay there right now in terms of depth. You're looking at Trent, LeRebius, Compton, Gettis, and Hurt as all guys we've drafted that are probably going to be on the roster.

We didn't really need to draft depth at Offensive Line. Compton and Hurt are young guys we've drafted that are "depth" tackles. Gettis and Hurt are guys we've drafted that are "depth" guards. The only O-Line thing we really could've used would've been a STARTING, not backup, quality tackle. However, by the time we had our first pick the top 7 tackles were already off the board, including all of the ones that were looked at as legitimate likely day 1 starter types.

Xavier Nixon would've been the type of guy we could've taken in the 7th...and we got him as an UDFA. There's your O-Line depth/flier.

I know it's a knee jerk reaction for Redskin fans to go "OLINE!" but because the regime has done such a good job drafting O-Line depth the past few years we were in a situation where we didn't need to do such this draft.

Amerson was generally a 2nd rounder, though some places had him as a 3rd rounder. Scouts Inc. really bashed him, somewhat unfairly IMO. Amerson was all over in mocks as well, I'd seen him as high as the late first, to as late as the 3rd.

But there's three main reasons I don't think he's a reach:

1. His ceiling. Pretty much everyone, regardless of where they actually mocked him, said Amerson had 1st round and #1 corner POTENTIAL. After his sophomore year everyone expected him to be a first rounder, but he took a step back because of lack of discipline. That discipline problem is fixable under the right conditions, and if he does, he could develop into a #1 corner.

2. I'm fairly certain Amerson was "our guy" and the highest corner/player on our big board. Consider that Jamar Taylor was still there at 51. Taylor was mocked pretty much universally as a late 1st to mid-2nd guy, and he fit the Shanahan mold very well, being a senior and all. Yet we passed on Taylor, and chose Amerson. In addition, DJ Swearinger was still on the board, and we passed on him. Considering all the secondary talent that was on the board when we picked, and that we still went for Amerson, I have to imagine the FO felt Amerson was the best player on the board.

3. If we'd waited we likely would have missed not only Amerson, but many other good corners. We picked Amerson at 51. By pick 70 SIX more corners had come off the board, and by the time we picked at 85, a seventh went as well. If we hadn't picked Amerson right when we did, we almost certainly would have missed not only him, but that entire tier, and then some, of corners.

As for WR, I don't necessarily disagree, I'd have liked to add a WR, but I think our WR corps is in pretty decent shape, and obviously Amerson being BPA means he gets to be the guy.

I think the notion that we "need OL help/depth" is a little off. We have solid starters for everywhere on the line except RT, and solid backups for those spots as well. Silverback's got the left end, but Lich, Monty, and Chester were solid starters who we don't need to replace just yet, and LeRib, Gettis, and Hurt are decent backups. LeRib is likely a starter quality guy who we have for depth, and Gettis and Hurt might develop similarly.

Barrett Jones is a center, and wasn't really going to improve the team, or even help the depth that much, unless we lost most of our starting linemen, in which case we have bigger problems to worry about.

Some points, I think Reed is the player we hoped Paul would become, which we were hoping we'd have last year. I imagine the Shanahans devised quite a few schemes for such a player.

Barrett Jones isn't just a center, I think that notion is silly. He played at an elite level all over the line and, imo, outplayed Fluker at tackle. He is basically the ultimate for o-line depth. Probably would have been an upgrade at OG or RT for us.

As to amerson, I really think he is going to be great for us. Some are calling it a reach but this kid was a top 15 lock last year. I'm not saying he was a value pick, but I think he certainly went in the range he should have. Don't know his entire issues this year but remember that Trent had bad tape his senior year compared to his junior year, but we went for a high ceiling guy with him and he's turned out great.

Barrett Jones isn't just a center, I think that notion is silly. He played at an elite level all over the line and, imo, outplayed Fluker at tackle. He is basically the ultimate for o-line depth. Probably would have been an upgrade at OG or RT for us.

Fair point on Jones, at least, at guard, though generally I think it goes without saying that centers can play guard, the position is usually easier since you don't have to worry about snapping the ball, and can focus on the guy in front of you.

I doubt he'd have been a major upgrade at RT though, at least this year. I don't think any player on the board after 42 (Watson) could come in and really improve the line significantly this year. I do like him for depth, but I think we've got 4 guys with guaranteed spots (LT through RG), and we kept 9 on the active roster last year, and probably do the same this year, so five of Compton, Hurt, Polumbus, Pashos, Trueblood, LeRibeus, Gettis, Nixon, and Stevens. We've got to cut four guys, so adding Jones was probably redundant.

Not to say I don't like Jones, I do, but I don't think he really fit our needs at this time.

Some points, I think Reed is the player we hoped Paul would become, which we were hoping we'd have last year. I imagine the Shanahans devised quite a few schemes for such a player.

Makes sense, and likewise for the drafting of Chris Thompson. We saw the coaches try and use Brandon Banks as a guy who could lineup in the backfield or in the slot, but he was ineffective. So when we drafted Reed and Thompson, the coaches are hoping they can re-expand the playbook.

As to amerson, I really think he is going to be great for us. Some are calling it a reach but this kid was a top 15 lock last year. I'm not saying he was a value pick, but I think he certainly went in the range he should have. Don't know his entire issues this year but remember that Trent had bad tape his senior year compared to his junior year, but we went for a high ceiling guy with him and he's turned out great.

I don't think reach is the correct term. He's a boom/bust pick. So guys felt safer taking him in the 3rd round knowing our top pick would be on a more solid or sure pick.

The draft kind of feels like rolling the dice. We didn't have a 1st rounder, so we're trying to hit a home run on somebody like Amerson. If it doesn't work, well...crap. If it does, then we more than made up for what we lost in the RG3 trade.

Only other guy I wish we got was Tyrann. That would have probably been way too db heavy but I really like his prospects as a nickel corner if he keeps his head on straight.
Not to get side tracked on Tyrann but I just don't see the same thing the people that like Tyrann see. I see a guy that is too small to play outside CB, average speed, average movement, average tackler. People refer to him like some sort of turnover creating machine but he only had 14 career turnovers at LSU. And those turnovers come mainly from fumbles not interceptions. And imo there is an element of luck or chance when it comes to turnover recoveries.
I originally thought Amerson would move to FS but I guess that is

likely Thomas's spot, with Rambo at SS.

I liked Amerson throughout the whole draft process, but moving him to SAF would imo be a waste of his talent and would be asking him to be proficient at his weakest skills: tackling/discipline.
That's fine seeing as how our cb may transition a bit next year with wilson and hall both free agents. Interestingly Hall could be cut with very little repercussions at this point due to his contract lacking much guaranteed money. I don't think we do it as Hall's experience is invaluable, especially if we have 2 or 3 rookie db's seeing a bit of playing time over the course of next season.
Ithink Hall is firmly in the plans for the secondary this season. I still think he's a darkhorse to compete for the week 1 SAF spot, especially if the rookies aren't ready yet and we don't sign a journeyman placeholder.

---------- Post added April-29th-2013 at 10:39 PM ----------

RT is an issue heading into the season. If the staff felt comfortable there they wouldn't have 5 guys (literally 5 'just a guy' types) competing for spots.

If people take an honest look at the individual pieces of the OL they will notice:

(a) Tyler Polombus is terrible, literally one of the worst RT in the NFL both in pass protection and in run blocking

(B) we don't have a back-up RT, our swing OT is actually a OG Maurice Hurt; our ostensible back-up OT Tom Compton was behind Jordan Black for most of the season and was passed over for playing time by Maurice Hurt a OG when our OT were thin

© Our pass protection was an issue in the drop back passing game and was part of the reason for the low 3rd down conversion rate

---------- Post added April-29th-2013 at 10:42 PM ----------

I doubt he'd[barrett Jones]have been a major upgrade at RT though, at least this year. I don't think any player on the board after 42 (Watson) could come in and really improve the line significantly this year. I do like him for depth, but I think we've got 4 guys with guaranteed spots (LT through RG), and we kept 9 on the active roster last year, and probably do the same this year, so five of Compton, Hurt, Polumbus, Pashos, Trueblood, LeRibeus, Gettis, Nixon, and Stevens. We've got to cut four guys, so adding Jones was probably redundant.

Not to say I don't like Jones, I do, but I don't think he really fit our needs at this time.

I think virtually any RT in that range would have been upgrade over Polumbus but especially Barrett Jones who was an Outland trophy winner at LT before moving to Center.

I think Jones would start at RT.

Fair point on Jones, at least, at guard, though generally I think it goes without saying that centers can play guard, the position is usually easier since you don't have to worry about snapping the ball, and can focus on the guy in front of you.

I doubt he'd have been a major upgrade at RT though, at least this year. I don't think any player on the board after 42 (Watson) could come in and really improve the line significantly this year. I do like him for depth, but I think we've got 4 guys with guaranteed spots (LT through RG), and we kept 9 on the active roster last year, and probably do the same this year, so five of Compton, Hurt, Polumbus, Pashos, Trueblood, LeRibeus, Gettis, Nixon, and Stevens. We've got to cut four guys, so adding Jones was probably redundant.

Similar to what DG said, Jones wasn't just good at OG and OC, he played great against LSU pass rushers, able to handle the speed of the LSU guys (unlike Fluker). It's not like he was limited by his size, as he is ideal size for a tackle. I guess it's all hypothetical for us now, but I really liked Jones. For what it's worth I actually hate the Ram's draft this year. I think Jones will be the only one to outperform his draft pick.

Archived