Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

I think virtually any RT in that range would have been upgrade over Polumbus but especially Barrett Jones who was an Outland trophy winner at LT before moving to Center.

I think Jones would start at RT.

I'm still skeptical at how much of an upgrade he'd be, but perhaps he'd have been a Brandon Jenkins style pickup if we'd grabbed him, a player expected to go much higher if not for injury. Maybe he could have been an upgrade, but generally I'm skeptical of linemen in their 1st year if they aren't 1st or high 2nd round prospects (especially with our ZBS system, which seems to have a slightly longer incubation period), though it sounds like if not for injury he might have been that.

I wonder where he sat on our big board. Would he have been taken in the 4th over Thomas if he was there?

I really wish there was something where front office big boards would get published, say, three or four years later. I would love to see how Mike set up the 2010 draft, and see the notes. Picking Mike's brain concerning things like Trent v. Okung or Riley v. Muckelroy would be fascinating, and in a couple years we could see how highly guys like Jones and Swope, who we passed on, were rated.

If people take an honest look at the individual pieces of the OL they will notice:

(a) Tyler Polombus is terrible, literally one of the worst RT in the NFL both in pass protection and in run blocking

(B) we don't have a back-up RT, our swing OT is actually a OG Maurice Hurt; our ostensible back-up OT Tom Compton was behind Jordan Black for most of the season and was passed over for playing time by Maurice Hurt a OG when our OT were thin

© Our pass protection was an issue in the drop back passing game and was part of the reason for the low 3rd down conversion rate

I think Jones would start at RT.

During the draft ll56 said don't expect RT because they are high on Compton. Xavier Nixon sounds like a potential fit, graded by most draft geeks as a 4th rounder, athletic but inconsistent..

The more I look at it, I really don't like this draft. Everyday that goes by I am less optimistic. I will say it now, and loud....they blew it in the 2nd and 3rd round.

W/ the cap hit that they took last year, and this year, and the picks they gave up for RGIII, they cannot afford to not find starters w/ their draft picks. They passed up on players who could become starters, for players who are boom-or-bust. Every player that they selected has huge question marks on them. If these players do not work out, the cupboard will be empty for RGIII once the smoke clears from the cap penalties & the traded draft picks. Lets hope Shanny and Co. got it correct.

Nixon has always been an interior guy to me and not a tackle, not a 4th but a 6th at best, not surprised he went undrafted.

He played tackle in college and size wise he has more the dimensions of tackle than he does a guard. Based on what do you feel that he's always been an interior guy to you?

He played tackle in college and size wise he has more the dimensions of tackle than he does a guard. Based on what do you think he's "always been an interior" guy?

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?368744-2013-Comprehensive-NFL-Draft-Database&p=9100548&viewfull=1#post9100548

August-22nd-2012 02:07 AM

A sleeper there is Xavier Nixon, more interior – imo.

__

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?368744-2013-Comprehensive-NFL-Draft-Database&p=9218280&viewfull=1#post9218280

October-20th-2012 04:19 PM

Xavier Nixon should be a guard rather than a tackle in the NFL. I think he'd do better covered up, has the athleticism to run zone, move in space - but not so hot on an island in pass-pro. I like him later in the draft than where he's listed.

__

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?368744-2013-Comprehensive-NFL-Draft-Database&p=9283067&viewfull=1#post9283067

November-24th-2012 04:10 PM

Xavier NIxon is a guard. You don't want him on an island. He gets so grabby and doesn't slide or shadow well. Not impressed with him at tackle, but the downfield athleticism is there for zone as a guard. Also later than where CBS rates him.

It's how he plays. He's not ideal on an island. He can hold his own at times but his feet get heavy in pass-pro, doesn't shadow well, will grab. He'll get beat.

He'll set the edge against bullrush. He seems to just angle out. I don't worry about him against power.

He has decent athleticism, not the typical shanahan free-runner, lumbering at times. You can see it as he stalks downfield. He seems to like body contact and he can hold his own against bull, but against edge speed or stutter-steps, not so hot. It's the quick change of direction that gets him.

If you cover him up, you limit his liability in pass-pro, it also will allow him to use his big body against larger interior D players.

Having him at guard is a natural fit once you saw the angle blocking scheme that Florida employed moreso this year which was a switch from previous year's predominate zone based. He blocked at angle, down, or pulled to kick-out often, so that all aligns with guard.

I feel people get caught up in the size. Because of his size within our group, compared to the other 300 pound ZBS guys, I'm sure he'll get work at tackle, especially since RT is open competition.

But when you distance yourself from what the cookie cutter mold should be and look at what he brings, to me he seems like a guy that can handle interior bullrush and get some movement at the POA (which works with our Veer). That's all more trench and move pile stuff, as opposed to light-footed dancer on the edge.

You get me?

The more I look at it, I really don't like this draft. Everyday that goes by I am less optimistic. I will say it now, and loud....they blew it in the 2nd and 3rd round.

W/ the cap hit that they took last year, and this year, and the picks they gave up for RGIII, they cannot afford to not find starters w/ their draft picks. They passed up on players who could become starters, for players who are boom-or-bust. Every player that they selected has huge question marks on them. If these players do not work out, the cupboard will be empty for RGIII once the smoke clears from the cap penalties & the traded draft picks. Lets hope Shanny and Co. got it correct.

So they took some chances this year on guys who really only need good coaching or a couple who need the opportunity to come back from injury. If they nail the picks then we are loaded. If not, well we basically run the same team back that just won the NFC East and go into next offseason with 6 draft picks and buckets of cap space. I applaud the risk. You don't get better by picking safe starters. We have those guys. We needed difference makers to add to this stable NFC East Champion team and they found a load of players that can be that and at great value where they were drafted.

I don't know that anybody available when we took Amerson would have as high a ceiling as him though. He was a top 10 lock going into the season. He admitted what his problems were and why he struggled which is important. Also we have the coaching and scheme that can get him back to his top 10 ability. I also don't know what question marks Jordan Reed has in the 3rd. Maybe you can elaborate on him.

So they took some chances this year on guys who really only need good coaching or a couple who need the opportunity to come back from injury. If they nail the picks then we are loaded. If not, well we basically run the same team back that just won the NFC East and go into next offseason with 6 draft picks and buckets of cap space. I applaud the risk. You don't get better by picking safe starters. We have those guys. We needed difference makers to add to this stable NFC East Champion team and they found a load of players that can be that and at great value where they were drafted.

I don't know that anybody available when we took Amerson would have as high a ceiling as him though. He was a top 10 lock going into the season. He admitted what his problems were and why he struggled which is important. Also we have the coaching and scheme that can get him back to his top 10 ability. I also don't know what question marks Jordan Reed has in the 3rd. Maybe you can elaborate on him.

Well said, as for Amerson if we want a shot at getting our own Richard Sherman (but faster than him) he was our best shot at that pick.

---------- Post added April-30th-2013 at 11:31 AM ----------

You get me?

I get you. Actually he sounds some like Polumbus. On Nixon I haven't watched him at all. I perused every scouting report I can get my hands on, and while certain OTs like Pugh for example were projected more as guards despite playing tackle, Nixon not so much, aside from my PFW draft book which said he can go either way. I spent no time looking at O lineman pre draft aside from Armstead. And on paper at least, 6-5, 320, he seems a bit big in our scheme to play guard. But yeah if you can't pass pro at RT that's a problem.

Not that I subscribe to Kiper much but here's what he says in his draft book it sort of plays into your thought is that he's better on the move/run game: "Nixon is a mammoth offensive tackle, and for a guy his size, he has good feet and he gets out of his stance quickly. His footwork and technique isn't where they need to be yet, but if he can become more consistent with his technique, he can become a real good bookend in the NFL. Nixon gets to the second level of the defense and will deliver quite a blow. Had he been more consistent, Nixon might have been a second round pick, Now hes looking at being an early Day 3 possibility."

Jordan Reed isn't an inline blocker and doesn't aggressively go after guys in the 2nd level, that's about all I can think of for question marks. I think the 2nd part is more coachable, while the 1st isn't what he'll be asked to do in our scheme. Reed's a solid pick. Him plus a healthy Fred should give defenses fits.

I really like the draft from round 3 and on, but I can see why people are skeptical about Amerson. I am as well. Physically he's got the best potential, but it's not like there wasn't a really solid and also fast corner in Jamar Taylor on the board. Taylor has the capability to be a pro-bowl corner. Amerson has the capability to be even better than that, but he comes with a lot of risk.

We didn't have a 1st rounder, and you're right, Amerson has Top 10 potential. If he pans out, the team instantly becomes really good.

Your pessimism is understandable with this draft, but i think the problem was just overall lack or real talent in this draft. It was weak all around and I think it is the type of draft where the best option was to go boom or bust because we werent going to find any players ready to start now who are better than what is currently starting. A player like Amerson has the potential to take over our #1 cb spot. There really weren't any other players in the draft with that sort of potential. I also dont think Reed is really a boom or bust type. I think he is really going to be a playmaker for us and don't really see him bottoming out very easily.

I also think the 2 safeties we got are going to be solid starters in the NFL for a while. These were both players i would have wanted in round 2 and 3 and we got them in 4 and 6. I understand the pessimism, but i dont agree with it. I like this draft considering the talent that was available.

What starters did they need to find replacements for?

We don't need a replacement for:

Offense: QB, RB, FB, WR1, LT, TE

Defense: NT, DE, OLB, ILB

We have solid quality starters, and were unlikely to find a day 1 replacement at our drafting spots, for:

Offense: RG, LG, C, WR2

Defense: CB, SS

We could've used a replacement, but there wasn't a significant one available to start day 1 at our drafting spots, for:

Offense: RT

Defense: -

We had a single position we HAD to find a starter for THIS YEAR at...that was free safety. And we drafted two quality guys to potentially compete for that spot.

I don't know, I think the FO might view Amerson and Reed as starters.

The thing with Amerson is that he showed next level starter potential his sophomore year, and was getting high 1st round grades going into 2012. He seemed to take a step back this past year in terms of tackling and discipline, but what sets Amerson apart from all the other corners available at #51 (except maybe Jamar Taylor), is that while some of the others have the potential to do what they need to do at this level, Amerson actually DID all that stuff his sophomore year, and then took a step back. So the ability is there, the FO just needs to draw it out.

We still have our starting corners from last year, plus Biggers, so I don't know how the depth chart shakes out, but it wouldn't surprise me if Amerson wasn't starting games at some point this year.

Reed I think is a solid player immediately. He won't be on Fred Davis' level day 1, but he's probably the guy the FO was hoping they'd get by converting Niles Paul, and he should have a fair amount of production this year.

I feel people get caught up in the size. Because of his size within our group, compared to the other 300 pound ZBS guys, I'm sure he'll get work at tackle, especially since RT is open competition.

But when you distance yourself from what the cookie cutter mold should be and look at what he brings, to me he seems like a guy that can handle interior bullrush and get some movement at the POA (which works with our Veer). That's all more trench and move pile stuff, as opposed to light-footed dancer on the edge.

You get me?

Do you think they might try to develop him into a backup LT role? If we'd drafted him, I imagine the FO would want to get as much production out of him as soon as possible, and so might move him to where he best fits, but going undrafted, could we take our time, maybe putting him on the PS and working on his athleticism to get him into a LT role down the road?

I'm actually of the opposite opinion. I think all the secondary players they drafted were in the top 5 at their position. Jenkins was the best Florida State pass rusher before his injury, and Florida State had two guys go in the first two rounds. Thompson I'm not overly optimistic about, but he gives our offense a new dimension as he was a pure homerun hitter for Florida State. Reed gives our offense a different option, something we don't currently have on the roster (as does Thompson). Jawan looks to be a solid backup with potential. Honestly I am more optimistic top to bottom of this year's draft than I was of last year's. It's extremely unlikely that every pick works out, but they all have starter potential (or at least major contributor potential), which I don't think you could say of last year's class. Certainly Crawford and Bernstine are more than likely career backups and special teamers.

During the draft ll56 said don't expect RT because they are high on Compton. Xavier Nixon sounds like a potential fit, graded by most draft geeks as a 4th rounder, athletic but inconsistent..
If they are high on Compton they sure have a funny way of showing it last season. They barely activate him. Jordan Black, I say again Jordan Black was ahead of him on the depth chart. And when the OT needed bodies they passed over Compton and played a OG at OT.

Don't know much about Nixon but considering the motley crew we have at RT if I were him I would think I have a chance to come in and win a spot.

If they are high on Compton they sure have a funny way of showing it last season. They barely activate him. Jordan Black, I say again Jordan Black was ahead of him on the depth chart. And when the OT needed bodies they passed over Compton and played a OG at OT.

Don't know much about Nixon but considering the motley crew we have at RT if I were him I would think I have a chance to come in and win a spot.

A quick note, I was similarly skeptical about Compton, but a bunch of people, including some insiders if I remember correctly, kept saying that the FO was high on him. I have no idea how truthful that is, but Mike tends to solve need issues via FA and the draft, so I have to think that Shanahan feels better about someone on that rogues gallery than we are aware of.

Or maybe not. He kind of patched safety and RT last year and let the chips fall where they done did, this year he might have tried to solve S, but is still letting RT get by with what we have.

Not to be a smarty pants but what other way is there to solve needs rather than by the free agency and draft? :P

Haha, yeah, that wasn't well worded. What I mean is, Mike rarely just lets a position stay a hole for any given season, he tries to make sure every position on the team is fixed, and won't just waltz into a season with a "eh, it's good enough" attitude if it's clearly not. He'll at least try and patch up the spot, though it doesn't always work. 2012 was a good example, if everyone had been healthy and not suspended, we'd have had decent starting caliber players everywhere (even RT if Brown could get healthy).

Basically, if Mike didn't think at least one of those guys would work reasonably well at RT, he probably would have done something about it at some point through FA or the draft, other than bring in bodies.

Or maybe I'm underestimating damaging the cap penalty was, or overestimating Mike's genius, or both.

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu vs USC,Arizona,Oregon State 2012

Going into 2013, a True Junior. One of the good Press, bump-and-run CBs potentially entering early for the 2014 draft. You can see the quicks, his ability to turn hips and change direction, good ball skills and awareness.

His skills are pretty diverse, able to handle Press, Man, Off-Man and Zone.

What you're looking at there is a True Sophomore, 2012 tape. It's good stuff.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2013/05/oregon_ducks_rundown_ifo_ekpre.html

There was a lot of buzz this spring about junior cornerback Ifo Ekpre-Olomu emerging as a key leader on defense for the Oregon Ducks.

The buzz is starting to pick up about Ekpre-Olomu's pro potential, too.

Sports Illustrated's way-too-early 2014 NFL mock draft has Ekpre-Olomu as a projected first-round pick, noting his "lock-down corner potential," even if he is a bit undersized at 5-foot-10.

12663794-large.jpg

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu: 2012 - 1st-team ALL-PAC-12 selection as a sophomore and earned 3rd-team, All-American honors from the Associated Press.

Team Profile: http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=205237521

__

20 PDs on the season (4 INTs, 16 PBU).

Stats: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ifo-ekpre-olomu-1.html

[color="orange"]Year	Class	Solo	Ast	Tot	Loss	Sk	Int	Yds	Avg	TD	PD	FR	Yds	TD	FF
2011*	FR	23	11	34	0.5	0.0	0	0		0	8	0	0	0	0
2012*	SO	44	19	63	0.0	0.0	4	54	13.5	1	20	0	0	0	6

Career		67	30	97	0.5	0.0	4	54	13.5	1	28	0	0	0	6[/color]

A consensus Four-Star recruit | Chino Hills High School, CA

As for Compton, just repeating what LL said on a tweet. I do recall them activating him on the roster because according to a reporter who covered the team they said that there was interest from other teams to sign him to their active roster.

I recall too I think it was Keim or someone saying that they see Compton as a project after drafting him, they wanted to get him stronger.

I can see them liking the guy but wanting a year to develop him.

As for Nixon. If I recall Monk wasn't surprised he went undrafted and commented on him here, but some others are. He didn't get past the 5th round in any of the draft magazines I own, seen him as a 4th rounder in many mocks. Doesn't mean he's per se good, but he was a fairly big name to go undrafted ala Tony Jefferson and some of the others who weren't mentioned as likely undrafted free agents. Monk studied him, though and posted on him here, good stuff.

www.espn.go.com

Mel Kiper listed him among the best 10 undrafted free agents, heres what he said:

OT Xavier Nixon, signed by Washington Redskins

I was shocked he wasn't drafted because he has a lot of talent. If he takes to the coaching in D.C., there's definitely a shot to stick. Could be a fit at right tackle if he develops.

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandlers-real-redsk/2013/05/need-to-know-nixon-missing-from-udfa-list.html

One name missing from the list of NFL-confirmed signings is Florida offensive tackle Xavier Nixon. It has been credibly reported that Nixon agreed to terms with the Redskins. He told the story of how the Redskins contacted him after they had used their seventh-round pick to tell him that they wanted him on the team.

"They actually called during the draft and told me they had used their last pick, and they were surprised to see me still on the board at that point and they would pick me up after the draft was over,'' Nixon said Sunday. "That pretty much made my decision right there. It's just a great opportunity to get to display my talent and show people the kind of person I can be with the team and around the community.''

It seems unlikely that Nixon is a camp tryout. It is possible that he just has not been able to sign his contract. The players report for minicamp tomorrow and it seems likely that Nixon sign on the dotted line then.

It is always possible that Nixon had a better offer and decided to take it. An agreement over the phone is meaningless until pen is put to paper. But we’ll probably see Nixon, who was a four-year starter at Florida, in Ashburn tomorrow.

Come on dg man. You're better than that.

'Straight Outa' ' may not of been ready to play at this level last year. But that doesn't take away from the apparent progress he's shown behind the scenes as he's learned and developed away from the spotlight. We're grooming him to be a big part of our future. The likes of Black may of been in ahead of a raw rook.

But that raw rook will be here long after the Blacks and Polumbus'' of this World are but a distant memory.

Hail.

I think we'll be fine at RT. Compton is the upside, potential future starter. Maybe even this year. But we also have three system guys. The Foerster guy in Pashos. The Shanny guy in Polumbus. The Allen guy in Trueblood.

Our entire interior line is built on system guys that we've just plugged in. Montgomery was a backup for the previous regime. Kory was out of football for some months when we signed him as a cheap FA. Chester was the most highly sought after as a FA after being a backup from the Ravens.

Polumbus is the incumbent. Trueblood and Pashos come in with more accomplishments and better pedigree than any of our interior OLs. I guess I just have faith in our system and the ability to find guys that fit that system. It's the same faith I have in our ability to plug in RBs.

We've also been looking for that young system RT for a while. There's much more positive buzz around Compton than there was around Heyer, Willie Brown, or Capers.

One of the more electric RBs for (potential) the 2014 class is Ka'Deem Carey.

He does lack elite speed. He lacks a certain amount of gear-change get-up. Yet he possess some good plant-one-foot cuts. He's got wiggle. He can make moves in the short area radius to slip a hit. He will contortion the body to avoid a tackle. He gets slippery around contact. The cuts show a level of vision and awareness of his surroundings. You'll see some jump-cuts and stutter-steps, shake 'n' bake. He has some power, keeps his legs driving and fights for yards. Love seeing the high knees, almost Roger Craig -esque. Gets extra yards from maintaing balance and spinning, diving or flipping for the extra yardage.

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kadeem_carey_750700.html

Named to eight All-America teams, including: Walter Camp, The Sporting News and the Associated Press, to earn consensus All-America honors from the NCAA.

All-Pac-12 First-Team

College Football Performance Awards National Running Back of the Year

Archived