Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.com: Peter King: RGIII shines in exhibition debut

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/08/09/robert-griffin-iii-preseason-debut-redskins/index.html?eref=twitter_feed

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- As Robert Griffin III walked up the tunnel at halftime of his first professional game Thursday night, he slapped hands with a few fans and couldn't suppress the wide grin on his face.

I asked him if he was happy with how he played in his first practice quarter as a pro.

"Extremely happy,'' he said.

Well, he should have been. The stats were good (4-of-6, 70 yards, one touchdown, no interceptions, a 145.3 rating), but the other facets of his short night of work -- the presence, the confidence running a new offense for the first time against a team trying to hit him, the touch on two arcing throws -- were more impressive. Griffin didn't play like a rookie. He played like a third-year player used to his offense and the play-calls.

Just as significantly, Griffin, the reigning Heisman winner from Baylor and second overall pick in April's draft, looked as composed and sharp as he did against one of the league's best defensive fronts. Maybe the best: Mario Williams making his Buffalo debut at left end, Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus at tackle, and Chris Kelsay and ex-Patriot Mark Anderson at right end.

I am very impressed and super happy he performed well because we have nothing in Rex Grossman. We all saw how aggressive the Bills Defense is and we would be screwed if this offense is led by Rex Grossman! Thank you Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan for drafting a QB who actually throws the ball to our team.

It was annoying seeing all the skepticism and doubt RG3 was getting for holding the ball too long in practice. I mean comon, if you're playing against a defense that knows EXACTLY what you're going to do, of course he's going to be handicapped in his throws.

It was annoying seeing all the skepticism and doubt RG3 was getting for holding the ball too long in practice. I mean comon, if you're playing against a defense that knows EXACTLY what you're going to do, of course he's going to be handicapped in his throws.

I figure that just means we've got a player worth scrutinizing. :cheers:

Is this a case of the Oline defending a QB they consider worth the effort, RG3 is a much better QB then sexy Rexy, I listened to the game via radio, and I was very happy with the way the whole team played especially the Offence and the Special Teams, we all know the Defence is going to be something special this year, and even the 3rd stringers were getting sacks. The only way for this team is up, and I am happy to go along for the ride....HTTR

I haven't watched yet. The game is set to record tomorrow afternoon. But! For anyone saying the line struggled (particularly the right side of the line, and more so in the running game -- which I heard a few say), isn't it likely that our blocking scheme will elevate our players? Our line might be smaller and might struggle in straight-up brute-vs-brute match-ups, but scheme changes everything.

I haven't watched yet. The game is set to record tomorrow afternoon. But! For anyone saying the line struggled (particularly the right side of the line, and more so in the running game -- which I heard a few say), isn't it likely that our blocking scheme will elevate our players? Our line might be smaller and might struggle in straight-up brute-vs-brute match-ups, but scheme changes everything.

We just faced probably the best defensive line in the NFL, down 3 starters. I'm not too concerned about it. They are a very talented group and we were able to move the ball well enough. Also, no sacks all game.

Archived