Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Sports: Top Impact Rookies for 2012 NFL Season

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19424114/top-impact-rookies-for-2012-nfl-season

The definition of "impact" for a rookie can be ranging. Obviously, Cam Newton had tremendous success last year. No one's questioning that; he was worth a couple wins in 2011, which is no small feat for a rookie. But there's an argument that guys like Von Miller, A.J. Green, Julio Jones, and Aldon Smith had a bigger impact in terms of putting talented teams over the edge for the playoffs.

In assessing the top impact rookies, I'm factoring in statistical production, actual game impact, and playoff impact as well. So, yeah, it stinks to be a quarterback taken with the top pick. You'll make an impact, but short of leading your team to a miraculous playoff berth, you're not locking up the top spot here. In other words, please don't write in the comments and tell me what an idiot I am just because RG3 isn't on the top of this list.

[...]6. Robert Griffin III, QB, Redskins: Yes, I'm aware that it looks like I'm selling both RG3 and Luck short. Again, they will have big seasons. I expect them to. But they won't have seasons that end up with their teams making the playoffs, and that's partially the point of the exercise here. In almost any other division, I'd give RG3 more props, but the Cowboys, Eagles and Giants could all be better. If Griffin guaranteed a division title, it would make more sense than Rex Grossman doing it last year, but it would also be more improbable. He's essentially operating on the (mostly misconceived) public notion that he'll put up Newtonian stats. He won't -- he'll be good, but he won't be that good. And the Redskins will finish at the bottom of the NFC East, despite a hope-infused season and great numbers from Griffin.

Guess who #1 is lol :rolleyes:

Literally no one thinks Griff will put up 'Newton #'s" I hate that analysts keep stating this. They say it because it sounds good and is a perfect opportunity to take a shot at Griff's production this year and the Skins in general. #ReadyForTheSeason

More Cowgirls hype, surprise, surprise.

If the Cowboys and the Eagles both miss the playoffs again this year, I think we're going to see shakeups within both of those organizations. Both have QBs who are 32 years old and coaches who have been questioned a lot recently. Here's hoping to both of those **** franchises getting blown up and started from scratch. :cheers:

A rookie CB puts a team over the top. Yea, that happens oh so often....the CB is the missing piece that has kept the boys down. I had a easier time believing that their WR Dez Bryant was that piece.....think that it is a tad to early to draw the comparisons to an impact like Deion Sanders had on the game.

As much as I hate media selling the Skins short, we have kind of earned that reputation until we consistently win. But, what I hate about the Boys is the annual hype over an average team with average coaching and below average GM.

Was it also even necessary to take the shot at RGIII in the opening paragraph?

"In other words, please don't write in the comments and tell me what an idiot I am just because RG3 isn't on the top of this list."

Based off the respective records, I would say that, even though RGIII is going to have a huge impact on the Skins, one would anticipate that Andrew Luck is going to have an even bigger impact on the Colts, and this not-so-veiled shot at a franchise with a Rookie QB should be aimed at Luck.

Of course, seeing who his #1 pick was comes as no surprise. Your argument has no merit, sir, good day. No longer considered journalism.

That guy sure does talk in a lot of absolutes.

Wright will put up big numbers and some long touchdown catches.

But they (Luck and Griffin) won't have seasons that end up with their teams making the playoffs, and that's partially the point of the exercise here

the Bolts will end up taking back a division title this year

I don't mind someone making bold predictions, like he did with Claiborne (Cowboys will contend for the division). But to straight out say teams like the Colts and Redskins have absolutely zero shot at making the playoffs? Based on what exactly? Are we in fantasy world where rookie QB's never make the playoffs? The past several years have proven that rookie QB's of today are not the same as that past. Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, TJ Yates, and Andy Dalton may all have something to say about it being impossible to get to the playoffs as a rookie.

This is funny! It's OK though... Like Rak said on NFL Network, the Redskins want to be low key and fly under the radar as much as possible. He said that now is a great time to be a Redskins fan. As bad as I truly want it, I really believe that there's something special going on in the locker room. I am patiently waiting... HTTR

As much as I hate media selling the Skins short, we have kind of earned that reputation until we consistently win. But, what I hate about the Boys is the annual hype over an average team with average coaching and below average GM.

I know we all hate Dallas and and enjoy seeing them crash and burn yearly but they are far from an average team. They do have a lot of talent on their team and some really nice playmakers. If they ever put it together, they could be pretty dangerous imo. I do not understand why everybody so casually dismisses and overlooks all of our division rivals all the time as if they haven't clowned us for much of the past 20 years.

I know we all hate Dallas and and enjoy seeing them crash and burn yearly but they are far from an average team. They do have a lot of talent on their team and some really nice playmakers. If they ever put it together, they could be pretty dangerous imo. I do not understand why everybody so casually dismisses and overlooks all of our division rivals all the time as if they haven't clowned us for much of the past 20 years.

That's more due to our ineptness than their talent and ability. Yes, there have been some outliers in the NFCE that were really good teams, but for the most part the division has has been middle of the pack, at best.

This is just one guys opinion and I am actually happy there is Cowgirl bias. Let people keep picking them and then they fall short. It just increases the perception that the cowturds are under performing and choking during the important times.

Keep adding to that chip on the Skins shoulders. I want them to go out and be hungry and want it really bad. Prove these dip****s wrong.

The problem with the author's comment regarding Griffin putting up "Newtonian numbers" is that he simply states a conclusion and provides no reasons as to why Griffin can't do it. There are plenty of reasons why he can't, and it's simply bad writing to not bother supporting your arguments. That said, I think it's possible. Grossman would have nearly matched Newton's yards in a 16-game season, and fourteen quarterbacks (22 teams) threw for 20 touchdowns. The comparison breaks down when it comes to rushing stats, but I don't think many Redskin fans are making the comparison beyond passing stats.

I don't see too many people here "overlooking" our division rivals...what I do see, though, are Skins fans rightfully pointing out how easily the media tends to overlook the VERY real negatives on the Cowboys, negatives that continually have them as a mediocre team.

Over the past 15 years the Cowboys are 120-120, with one single wildcard win.

Yet drafting Morris Claiborne will put them "over the top".

Mike Vanderjagt was the missing piece that would put the Cowboys "over the top", too.

So was Terrell Owens.

So was Tony Romo sits to pee.

So was Felix Jones.

So was Roy Williams

So was Dez Bryant.

Now it's Claiborne's turn to be that missing piece that will finally get the Cowboys "over the top".

Nevermind mediocre coaching, a sub-par GM, questionable drafts, no real direction or plan from the FO, an offense that lacks an identity...no, it's the rookie CB who scored a 4 on the Wonderlic test that's gonna shoot the Dallas Cowboys into the NFC Championship game.

Don't really see a problem with Claiborne he's very similar to Peterson with great length and hands and doesn't have as much pressure with the signing of Carr. I think it's a pretty fair assessment

So you would put money on it that Claiborne has the most impact as a rookie? Over QBs Luck and RG3? Over any other rookie at any other position?

Don't really see a problem with Claiborne he's very similar to Peterson with great length and hands and doesn't have as much pressure with the signing of Carr. I think it's a pretty fair assessment

Peterson didn't really have that big of an impact as a CB. Punt Returner, sure, but as a CB? He was very much a rookie, and it showed.

Now I'm not saying this because he's a Cowboy, but how many rookie CBs have really made an impact their 1st year? You can argue Patrick Peterson, but that was more as a punt returner than as a CB.

Peterson was burnt relentlessly at corner. He didn't even look like a 1st round pick last year if you take away his return TDs. Its extremely difficult for rookie corners to come in and become instant quality NFL starters.

I said it before (yet people chewed me out) Morris Claiborne isn't even that good, I think he was massively overrated in college and I don't see him becoming a shut down corner at all (even before he was drafted to Dallas), he's like a poor man's Patrick Peterson (overrated as well, but a lot better) but difference is Peterson can and is actually improving, I don't see that type of talent in Claiborne. If Peterson got torched his rookie season something fierce in the NFC West, Claiborne is going to have a real big problem in the NFC East.

I don't really believe in these LSU DBs really.

Archived