Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Sports: Top Impact Rookies for 2012 NFL Season

Newton put up huge numbers because the Panthers were almost always playing from behind. I would rather RGIII had lesser stats as it would most likely mean the team is having more success.

This really isn't true.

Carolina was winning many of their games entering the fourth quarter.

I don't see too many people here "overlooking" our division rivals...what I do see, though, are Skins fans rightfully pointing out how easily the media tends to overlook the VERY real negatives on the Cowboys, negatives that continually have them as a mediocre team.

Over the past 15 years the Cowboys are 120-120, with one single wildcard win.

Yet drafting Morris Claiborne will put them "over the top".

Mike Vanderjagt was the missing piece that would put the Cowboys "over the top", too.

So was Terrell Owens.

So was Tony Romo sits to pee.

So was Felix Jones.

So was Roy Williams

So was Dez Bryant.

Now it's Claiborne's turn to be that missing piece that will finally get the Cowboys "over the top".

Nevermind mediocre coaching, a sub-par GM, questionable drafts, no real direction or plan from the FO, an offense that lacks an identity...no, it's the rookie CB who scored a 4 on the Wonderlic test that's gonna shoot the Dallas Cowboys into the NFC Championship game.

I know I shouldn't quote large blocks, but I couldn't find a word to remove that isn't true. This is so unbelievably nail on the head dead on. The Cowboys, outside of the media attention, are barely a RELEVANT franchise in the NFL any longer. And the fact that the majority of the media or American public doesn't get it, is hysterical.

:doh:

Now I'm not saying this because he's a Cowboy, but how many rookie CBs have really made an impact their 1st year? You can argue Patrick Peterson, but that was more as a punt returner than as a CB.

http://http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1170082-the-32-best-single-season-rookie-performances-of-all-time#/articles/1170082-the-32-best-single-season-rookie-performances-of-all-time/page/2

the 52 Lions won the title that year, thats how long it has been, so its a pretty safe pick by the "journalist".......

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1170082-the-32-best-single-season-rookie-performances-of-all-time#/articles/1170082-the-32-best-single-season-rookie-performances-of-all-time/page/2

the 52 Lions won the title that year, thats how long it has been, so its a pretty safe pick by the "journalist".......

Are you saying Claiborne is the next Night Train?

Mike Vanderjagt was the missing piece that would put the Cowboys "over the top", too.

So was Terrell Owens.

So was Tony Romo sits to pee.

So was Felix Jones.

So was Roy Williams

So was Dez Bryant.

Now it's Claiborne's turn to be that missing piece that will finally get the Cowboys "over the top".

...it's the rookie CB who scored a 4 on the Wonderlic test that's gonna shoot the Dallas Cowboys into the NFC Championship game.

Yeah, it's the same old dog and pony b.s.

I don't get the angst here, I LOVED this article! We'll have the opportunity to revisit this time and time again as the season progresses and revel in our yearly schadenfreude as the Cowboys underwhelm the witless masses again.

We know what is happening here, Shanny & Co. have been doing what we cried for for a decade, building a contender the right way, I don't give a rat's ass if the media at large doesn't grasp that.

I am far more concerned about Philly's D coming together than I am about anything the 'Boys put on the field.

If you go by his definition of an impact rookie, than I see his point. All of these predictions about records, and rookie play, etc etc are based on how good we were last year. We were NOT GOOD - so I dont know why some people are surprised. If we had 8 or 9 wins last year, and Grossman was as god awful as he was, than RG-3 would be number one. I dont think this is cowboy media bias, or any other anti- redskin conspiracy. We made our bed over the last 20 years, and now we must lay in it. We cant expect to win the hearts of writers, until we win games.

If you go by his definition of an impact rookie, than I see his point. All of these predictions about records, and rookie play, etc etc are based on how good we were last year. We were NOT GOOD - so I dont know why some people are surprised. If we had 8 or 9 wins last year, and Grossman was as god awful as he was, than RG-3 would be number one. I dont think this is cowboy media bias, or any other anti- redskin conspiracy. We made our bed over the last 20 years, and now we must lay in it. We cant expect to win the hearts of writers, until we win games.

You do realize the Cowboys lost 4 of the last 5 games last year, beat nobody (save the 9er's early in the year), and finished 8-8. So by your premise, the Cowboys rookie shouldn't be number one on the list. He is. Cowboy homer. Google the writer of the blog/article. He's done numerous podcasts and covered the Cowboys extensively. I smell a turd :)

Who really cares what these talking heads say about RGIII. Until he plays a season, no one can really say who the top impact player will be.

Here is a quote about Cam Newton last year before the draft "Scouts and evaluators have mixed reviews on Newton as a quarterback transitioning to the NFL."

All I know is that I am ready for the season to start. HTTR

You do realize the Cowboys lost 4 of the last 5 games last year, beat nobody (save the 9er's early in the year), and finished 8-8. So by your premise, the Cowboys rookie shouldn't be number one on the list. He is. Cowboy homer. Google the writer of the blog/article. He's done numerous podcasts and covered the Cowboys extensively. I smell a turd :)

and you do realize that this particular writer is not the only person in the world that thinks the Cowboys are better than the Redskins??? I mean look the cowboys have not been good in the post-season since the mid 90's, but they have been a better team than us for the better part of two decades - and when you say they beat

"nobody" that means us twice - lol. Im not sure why you turned this into a skins vs cowboys thing - but the better part of the sports world believes they are closer to a championship team than we are and for the most part they have every reason to. Lets hope RG-3 and company turn this thing around and we can prove them wrong - but again - we made this bed for twenty years and now we are laying in it.

and you do realize that this particular writer is not the only person in the world that thinks the Cowboys are better than the Redskins??? I mean look the cowboys have not been good in the post-season since the mid 90's, but they have been a better team than us for the better part of two decades - and when you say they beat

"nobody" that means us twice - lol. Im not sure why you turned this into a skins vs cowboys thing - but the better part of the sports world believes they are closer to a championship team than we are and for the most part they have every reason to. Lets hope RG-3 and company turn this thing around and we can prove them wrong - but again - we made this bed for twenty years and now we are laying in it.

I'm confused...where did he mention the Redskins in his post? I didn't see it. Yet you said he "turned this into a skins vs cowboys thing". I only saw you doing that.

Plus, nobody is really upset at RG3 being #6 on the list from what I can tell...at most, they didn't like the lazy comparisons to Cam Newton as to why he is.

Lastly, it's perfectly logical to find it laughable that Claiborne is ranked #1--and especially the reasons why he is lol. How well the Skins have done over the last 5/10/15 years is completely irrelevant in that regard. And guess what...it's not just Redskins fans who are thinking this way.

You're the one missing the point. We are just applying your logic from your earlier post to the situation.

You said the Redskins (and their fans) shouldn't expect any love in the media until they start winning.

Well, then, by your logic, the Cowboys shouldn't be getting any love, because they haven't won anything lately (like in the last 17 years), either.

Sure, they have had some slightly better seasons than the Redskins some years, but nothing to condone this yearly "Cowboys are contenders" crap we get from the media.

They are even going as far as saying that a rookie CB who got a 4 on his wonderlic is the missing piece to get to make them for real. :rolleyes:

Talk about reaching. That is just pathetic. They aren't going anywhere as long as Romo sits to pee is Romo sits to pee.

I don't know if there is an "anti-Redskin" bias in the media. I guess we will know if the Redskins become yearly contenders and they still hate on them. :)

However, I do believe there is a pro-Cowboy bias in the sports media, because the Cowboys get a lot of love from them whether they are good or bad.

• 6 months later...

Outstanding bump. An argument could very easily be made that Alfred should be #1. I'll admit that while I have not watched Luck play much this year and I know he's thrown plenty of picks, I am impressed that the Colts won 11 games when it was unanimous around here that the Skins had the superior team for RG3 to step in to.

I think the main point is that this was an amazing draft class period. For QB's but also for really every position. There was a ton of talent in this draft class. Hell, just look at how well all of our rookies played. Crawford had that huge return against the Ravens and a pick against the Cowboys, LeReibus came in and played very well and RGIII and Alfred Morris are obvious. The Colts' combo of Luck, Fleener, Allen and Hilton has been very impressive as well.

... I am impressed that the Colts won 11 games when it was unanimous around here that the Skins had the superior team for RG3 to step in to.

I have never understood this perspective... sure the Colts were 2 -14 last year...but have people forgotten how good they were the previous 10 years?? Was there a sudden loss of all that talent just because Manning went down and they didn't know how to win without him? Look, Manning (Peyton that is) is without question one of the all-time greats. And that undoubtedly had an impact on the team. But they were a 10, 14, 12, and 13 win team going back to 2007. They were a perennial playoff team!. We were bottom of NFC east every year for the past 6 years except for 2007 when we were 3rd!

Just how were we the better team for RGIII to step into?

I have never understood this perspective... sure the Colts were 2 -14 last year...but have people forgotten how good they were the previous 10 years?? Was there a sudden loss of all that talent just because Manning went down and they didn't know how to win without him? Look, Manning (Peyton that is) is without question one of the all-time greats. And that undoubtedly had an impact on the team. But they were a 10, 14, 12, and 13 win team going back to 2007. They were a perennial playoff team!. We were bottom of NFC east every year for the past 6 years except for 2007 when we were 3rd!

Just how were we the better team for RGIII to step into?

Or, possibly, just possibly, the Colts might have tanked a few games last year?

<puts conspiracy hat back in the box>:cool:

Archived