Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HBO's Newsroom

MattFancy

It was pretty good. There were scenes in which the characters seemed very forced.. some of the back-plot setups were fairly clunky.

The show picked up considerably in the last half when they were on the air. Jeff Daniels is good.

Sam Waterson as the Dept. Head is a gem. He had me laughing hard several times, especially with his "I'm a Marine" bit. This character is a good fit for him. He's stretching his legs quite well in this role. I'll enjoy watching him.

~Bang

Jeff Daniels as Keith Olbermann.

he is actually not Keith Olbermann. Not anywhere near Olbermann.

Its actually a really good show. Enjoyed the opening monologue and really liked the news broadcast.

The stuff with developing the love interests in the middle could have been done better but I like it.

Jeff Daniels as Keith Olbermann.

I guess if you count the dickish angle and they're both in media, but that covers a lot of people. Otherwise I'd say that's another one of your posts that just reads stupid to me.

Thought the first 7 minutes were great. Waterston was fun. Rest was ok, some good potential, and yeah, Sorkiny.

My wife and I have enjoyed the first two episodes. We'll keep watching. I like the idea of exploring the news as "news" rather than ratings and viewer numbers. It's something that likely would never survive in our culture. I like that the show is introducing tidbits and general rules of the industry that most are unaware of regarding the news. They're things we all kind of assume but hope isn't true, like targeting demographics.

The show has great potential!

My wife and I have enjoyed the first two episodes. We'll keep watching. I like the idea of exploring the news as "news" rather than ratings and viewer numbers. It's something that likely would never survive in our culture. I like that the show is introducing tidbits and general rules of the industry that most are unaware of regarding the news. They're things we all kind of assume but hope isn't true, like targeting demographics.

The show has great potential!

I agree, I would love to watch a news channel for just news, but we know that will never happen now.

Last night's episode was good, not as good as the pilot, but was still good. I think it still has some good potential.

Caught a repeat of episode one last week, it was an enjoyable show.

But I kept thinking to myself how unimportant tv news has become.

All this drama and hulubulu for an institution that on network channels only talks to senior citizens and on cable talks to it's "base."

Either way it's mostly interested in it's ad budget and entertainment over actual substance.

I'll give it a go b/c there's literally nothing on for me until Breaking Bad and Walking Dead come back plus Olivia Munn's in it………mmmmmmmmmm.

The second was OK. A bit clunky in the dialogue. Rapid fire,, people don't really talk like that, do they?

hope that settles down once they figure we've got who the characters are supposed to 'be'.

It has it's merits, chief among them stil being Sa Waterson as Charley the Dept. head.

~Bang

The second was OK. A bit clunky in the dialogue. Rapid fire,, people don't really talk like that, do they?

hope that settles down once they figure we've got who the characters are supposed to 'be'.

It has it's merits, chief among them stil being Sa Waterson as Charley the Dept. head.

~Bang

Waterston has been great, and I actually like that rapid-fire dialogue style (not as a programming norm of course, and I am seeing others don't like it much at all). But I can tell you I interact with a couple units of folks working together and it is a lot like that (not that every person in those groups does it). It would be interesting to hear feedback from people actually in media if it reflects anything like their experience.

I can see it when a team is humming along and working,, I'll be more specific,, the scene with MaggieMargaretMargieMJ arguing with Jr ProducerJim about practicing the phone call,, it seemed very scripted.. which it is, obviously, but it's not supposed to seem so. It felt forced and rehearsed. There wasn't much time given for human reaction, like even a moment to think about anything, or a glance off to get a thought in order.. it all just came out in a 5 minute gush. No pauses for realism, I guess I'd call it.

This is nitpicky in a way, but with the first two episodes it seems like there's been good setup act, excellent final act, and a second act in the middle where they're trying to establish background character personalities and underlying storylines too quickly maybe?

~Bang

I would agree with the critique that the show has too much rapid fire dialogue ala The West Wing and that it very much feels scripted. However saying that, Jeff Daniels is very good and he is proving to be a more than able anchor of the show like Sheen was for The West Wing. Right now the orbiting characters are not of the level of The West Wing however it's only been two shows so I think they can get better.

It's just nice to see another liberal idealism show on TV again. It's fantasy land, just like The West Wing, but it's still nice to see.

Archived