Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HBO's Newsroom

MattFancy

I know it's all simplistic and idealistic to the point of foolish, but the whole "debate" deal presented a picture I really wish could come to pass. I would love to see the level of political discourse in the nation go more to fact-based debate with ideological differences examined intelligently as opposed to spins, lies, hypocrisy, sound bites, talking points, and pandering.

Also felt the silly distraction of the ending and the same old gripe of this love angle crap was, well, silly and distracting. They need to start listening to all the viewer feedback on that matter and drop that dumbass material.

Did he? I thought he was going to impersonate him.

I wasn't really sure what the point of his trolling efforts was.

He wanted to write a story on the culture of trolling. He trolled [Olivia Munn] in order to get in with the hackers. But he still needed to prove how great of a hacker he was to really get in with the group. So he went into a chat session pretending he was the one who issued the death threat in order to raise his "hacker cred" only to be called out by the hacker who actually did it. It could make a huge story now that he's found the guy.

So...interesting end to the season. Definitely a very preachy episode, but John Stewart does the same thing every night to some extent. I agreed with most of it. Baba O'Riley was a nice touch.

I think the show worked out a lot of it's kinks by the end of the season (though there's still a lot of work left to do.) We'll see if they cut some of the fat next season.

---------- Post added August-27th-2012 at 01:12 AM ----------

Also felt the silly distraction of the ending and the same old gripe of this love angle crap was, well, silly and distracting. They need to start listening to all the viewer feedback on that matter and drop that dumbass material.

They probably will next year, but the entire season was filmed before the first episode aired so not much could be done about that.

I wish they would have resolved that love triangle, instead they seem to be working on expanding that situation.

Episode was entirely too preachy for me, even if I agreed with the larger points.

Ummm, Hello they did resolve the love triangle.. Some time ago they made it a love square... In the season finale it became a Love Pentagon if you were paying attention, totally out of the blue....

I liked the season finale but I did not like the new voting requirements story that ran in it about how the republican party is forcing change and now that voters are required to furnish some type of ID in order to be allowed to vote. They make it out like the only forms of ID's someone can have is a passport of a drivers license did they forget that people who do not posses a driver license can get a walkers ID. I really like the show however, I do not like how they constantly bash the right in the show.

I liked the season finale but I did not like the new voting requirements story that ran in it about how the republican party is forcing change and now that voters are required to furnish some type of ID in order to be allowed to vote. They make it out like the only forms of ID's someone can have is a passport of a drivers license did they forget that people who do not posses a driver license can get a walkers ID. I really like the show however, I do not like how they constantly bash the right in the show.

They don't bash the right. They bash the idiots who have co-opted reasonable conservatism and turned it into this rabid-attack dog of close mindedness.

They don't constantly bash the right, they constantly bash the extremist element of the right who do things that could be seen as un-American or going against the party ideals. Jeff Daniels plays as a RINO. In this day and age though, many seem to think that any criticism of what the party does, especially on the right, means it's bashing of the party. You have to be self-critical in order to improve.

The voting ID is BS and is targeted at a specific block of voters to try and tilt the table in favor of Republicans. Voter fraud doesn't even account for one half of one percent of voters, but the ID laws take 20 million voters away, most of whom are poor or old, in areas where those demographics typically vote democrat. How does it makes sense to have laws which prevent tens of millions of people from voting in order to stop an issue that doesn't even account for a single percent of voters? It doesn't. It is purely a strategic thing, where Republicans are using the law not be fair, but to purposefully take away or at least impede the ability of other Americans to vote. Doesn't get much more un-American than that.

If anything, Daniels' character constantly calling for a return to pragmatism, civility, and actual American ideals instead of the manipulated, extremist message the tea party and neo cons have created, is an attempt at redeeming the Republican party and exposing its flaws.

They don't constantly bash the right, they constantly bash the extremist element of the right who do things that could be seen as un-American or going against the party ideals. Jeff Daniels plays as a RINO. In this day and age though, many seem to think that any criticism of what the party does, especially on the right, means it's bashing of the party. You have to be self-critical in order to improve.

If anything, Daniels' character constantly calling for a return to pragmatism, civility, and actual American ideals instead of the manipulated, extremist message the tea party and neo cons have created, is an attempt at redeeming the Republican party and exposing its flaws.

I can't recall very many things that they've called out Democrats or Obama over.

I love the show, but I do wish they would focus less on every idiot on the right who says something stupid. At times the show seems less about news and more about going after the Tea Party and catching every current Republican out in a lie. I wish they would focus more on the news aspect of things.

I can't recall very many things that they've called out Democrats or Obama over.

I love the show, but I do wish they would focus less on every idiot on the right who says something stupid. At times the show seems less about news and more about going after the Tea Party and catching every current Republican out in a lie. I wish they would focus more on the news aspect of things.

The main character is a traditional Republican who is pissed at what has happened to the party and is using his show as a platform to call them out. This whole first season was basically him vs. the tea party. The news focuses on the news aspect of things, or they're supposed to, the show focuses on things from Daniels' character's perspective mostly. It's not about left vs. right and being even handed, it's again about a character who considers himself a traditional Republican and uses his show to call out fringe elements that he believes have taken his party hostage.

Heck, the whole debate improvement format wasn't calling out the party, it was lining up questioning that got rid of BS and rhetoric so that the best candidate truly could be discerned. If the Republican Party actually used the debate format they used, the winning candidate would likely take the Presidency in a landslide. Instead you get the softball question shown on the laptop about whether Bachmann preferred Johnny Cash or some other singer, asked at a freaking candidates debate.

The main character is a traditional Republican who is pissed at what has happened to the party and is using his show as a platform to call them out. This whole first season was basically him vs. the tea party. The news focuses on the news aspect of things, or they're supposed to, the show focuses on things from Daniels' character's perspective mostly. It's not about left vs. right and being even handed, it's again about a character who considers himself a traditional Republican and uses his show to call out fringe elements that he believes have taken his party hostage.

I think we're all well aware of this excuse.

It gives him some leeway in going after the Tea Party and the current state of politics.

But they stretch that to it's limits and keep on going.

The point of the show is actually supposed to be about delivering news and not pandering to ratings or gossip.

When it focuses on that aspect of things is when it's at it's best, not when it's acting like a grudge match vs the Tea Party.

Obviously it's fine to have some of that in there, but it's just blatently and aggravatingly too much at times.

They don't bash the right. They bash the idiots who have co-opted reasonable conservatism and turned it into this rabid-attack dog of close mindedness.

They constantly bash the right like I said it is a good show but it is apparent that they want to make the right look bad every chance they get.

---------- Post added August-28th-2012 at 07:35 AM ----------

Exactly I would like them to focus more on news then constantly finding some idiot in the Tea Party to call out.

The voting ID is BS and is targeted at a specific block of voters to try and tilt the table in favor of Republicans. Voter fraud doesn't even account for one half of one percent of voters, but the ID laws take 20 million voters away, most of whom are poor or old, in areas where those demographics typically vote democrat. How does it makes sense to have laws which prevent tens of millions of people from voting in order to stop an issue that doesn't even account for a single percent of voters? It doesn't. It is purely a strategic thing, where Republicans are using the law not be fair, but to purposefully take away or at least impede the ability of other Americans to vote. Doesn't get much more un-American than that.

Really they can't go to the DMV and obtain walkers ID which is required to have for most states? They have to cash their check some how right.

They constantly bash the right like I said it is a good show but it is apparent that they want to make the right look bad every chance they get.

---------- Post added August-28th-2012 at 07:35 AM ----------

Exactly I would like them to focus more on news then constantly finding some idiot in the Tea Party to call out.

Really they can't go to the DMV and obtain walkers ID which is required to have for most states? They have to cash their check some how right.

I don't want to get into one of the classic ES political throwdowns and I started it off on the wrong foot. I consider myself slightly left of center. I believe in some of the tenets of conservatism but the current version of what it means to be a conservative is, IMO, so far from center. John McCain used to be in the centrist coalition in the Senate. I always said that he'd be a Republican I would vote for, but even he was spouting stuff that did not reflect his core beliefs just to court the far right.

You wanna talk about RINOs? I think you have one at the very top of Republican ticket this November.

Y'know,, maybe the right gets bashed because they're wrong.

Maybe the right gets bashed because some of the things they are doing are completely unamerican. Maybe they're getting bashed because some of the things they're doing even goes against what actual real conservatives believe in.

Maybe the right doesn't get bashed simply because the left doesn't like them.

The moderates don't like them anymore either. In fact, pretty much everyone BUT the hard core right is alarmed by their behavior, all around the world.

Maybe they constantly call out the Tea party because their idiocy is constantly in the news?

Maybe the right should wonder why so many people are bashing them,, instead of crying about being picked on.

~Bang

Y'know,, maybe the right gets bashed because they're wrong.

Maybe the right gets bashed because some of the things they are doing are completely unamerican. Maybe they're getting bashed because some of the things they're doing even goes against what actual real conservatives believe in.

Maybe the right doesn't get bashed simply because the left doesn't like them.

The moderates don't like them anymore either. In fact, pretty much everyone BUT the hard core right is alarmed by their behavior, all around the world.

Maybe they constantly call out the Tea party because their idiocy is constantly in the news?

Maybe the right should wonder why so many people are bashing them,, instead of crying about being picked on.

~Bang

Really and the left aren't idiots either i.e. Anthony Wiener, Reid, John Conyers? Lets not forget the reincarnated FDR has done so much for this country with his plans and policy in place.

Isn't the Weiner debacle a running thing in Newsroom? Regardless, I don't think you can look to HBO for a fair and balanced approach. I mean the the lead-in to Newsroom is True Blood which has more than passing gay rights overtones.

---------- Post added August-28th-2012 at 09:56 AM ----------

Really and the left aren't idiots either i.e. Anthony Wiener, Reid, John Conyers? Lets not forget the reincarnated FDR has done so much for this country with his plans and policy in place.

I think you're also missing the distinction we are drawing between right and the far-right.

Isn't the Weiner debacle a running thing in Newsroom? Regardless, I don't think you can look to HBO for a fair and balanced approach. I mean the the lead-in to Newsroom is True Blood which has more than passing gay rights overtones.

---------- Post added August-28th-2012 at 09:56 AM ----------

I think you're also missing the distinction we are drawing between right and the far-right.

Some of the topics that they talk about is about the far right which I dont have a problembut mix it up a bit especially with everything that has been going on in the News over the past 3 years. They barely covered it and they did not like covering it at all.

I think we're all well aware of this excuse.

It gives him some leeway in going after the Tea Party and the current state of politics.

But they stretch that to it's limits and keep on going.

The point of the show is actually supposed to be about delivering news and not pandering to ratings or gossip.

When it focuses on that aspect of things is when it's at it's best, not when it's acting like a grudge match vs the Tea Party.

Obviously it's fine to have some of that in there, but it's just blatently and aggravatingly too much at times.

It was the key point of contention between Macavoy and the owner, Jane Fonda's character, so of course it was going to get a lot of focus. It's also a major beef of the main character.

It's also just one season. Plus, maybe Sorkin is trying to say something when it seems like the right gets attacked more. Or maybe it says something about yourself when you complain about the right being attacked too much instead of talking about the issues they are being attacked over.

The platform is set with the characters for criticizing the right, and it seems every time that happens there are people who then whine about why the left isn't being attacked instead of actually looking at the merit of the argument against the right. That's been one of the biggest points of contention for the main character, that people just go along with it because they are afraid of "attacking" the party. By the way, criticism and calling out wrongs can be useful, and isn't merely attacking.

Archived