Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DenverPost:Colorado Wildfires: Eight wildfires roaring across the state

Stadium-Armory

Definitely looks and feels like the apocalypse out here. Air quality is horrible, my roommate's and my eyes are itching and burning and we've been staying indoors with the AC on.

My work building is on Garden of the Gods Road West and it has been closed down indefinitely.

The firestorm yesterday doubled the size of this fire....over 15,000 acres now.

K, I've heard that the smoke down there is blocking out the sun. Sheesh.

well, already one home destroyed in my office, and now my supervisor just called me. The fire is now within 1 mile of her home, and they are beginning voluntary evacuations. She is packing a bag of clothes and important papers and said she's going to try to come into work. I told her she's crazy and needs to worry about getting the hell outta dodge. LOL.

I may have to check in with my sister, she lives in Fort Collins. We're 11 years apart and didn't grow up together so we're not particularly close; we only speak 2-3 times a year at most, but this might be a good time for one of those calls.

just got the word, somebody that works here in my office just lost their house. burned to the ground, gone.

I'm really sorry to hear that. Did the person lose it in the Waldo Canyon firestorm last night?

Friend just posted on facebook that she was working at my tennis club and several of members of the club who had been evacuated were just hanging out at the club watching their homes go up in flames on live TV :(

K, I've heard that the smoke down there is blocking out the sun. Sheesh.

well, already one home destroyed in my office, and now my supervisor just called me. The fire is now within 1 mile of her home, and they are beginning voluntary evacuations. She is packing a bag of clothes and important papers and said she's going to try to come into work. I told her she's crazy and needs to worry about getting the hell outta dodge. LOL.

Where does your friend live? They are evacuating parts of Woodland Park now...

K, she lives really close 2 the academy I think, same exit off 25. She said her house is 2 blocks from an area that is being evacuated. She's packed her bags and is gong to stay with a friind here in Denver the next few days.

Edit: just spoke to somebody, she lives in "Briargate" in CO Springs, about 2 streets from I-25.

Radio just said President Obama will be in the Springs on Friday.

K, she lives really close 2 the academy I think, same exit off 25. She said her house is 2 blocks from an area that is being evacuated. She's packed her bags and is gong to stay with a friind here in Denver the next few days.

Radio just said President Obama will be in the Springs on Friday.

Yeah, I think that's smart on her part.

I just heard that Obama will be here too.

Attached are a few more photos...

EDIT: Update at 3:38 PM - Winds are picking up big time which is not good. Wind gusts of 47 MPH clocked at Air Force Academy. Huge wall of flames witnessed at Blodgett Peak now, reports that some firefighters have been ordered to stand down while others are staying to try to protect structures. Praying we don't get another repeat of yesterday.

Katie,

Stay safe. Good luck to you, your friends, and everyone out there.

Thank you. :) I'm on the other side of town, so my home is safe. My job is in the evacuation zone though, and I just received word that we will not be allowed back into the building before at least Tuesday.

A few friends lost their homes, but everyone got out safely which is the most important.

Temperatures have fallen below 100, humidity is up, and we are now getting some rain with thunderstorms...so let's just pray lightening doesn't start another fire.

Not often I feel for the "Greenies", but I sure do on this one. Made the trip through the Poudre Canyon a week before the fires started. Looked bad. Sorry for all the loss of housing etc. Unfortunately Wyoming will be next as the beetle kill up here is bad too. Any day now we'll go up.

You already are.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/f620bb98722e4871a370bc046b431e6c/WY--Wyoming-Wildfires

We've got 6 of them here. Most in the central and Eastern part of the state. So damn dry out there and the beetle kill,especially in central and northern Utah is very bad. Lightning started one of the newest ones,(started yesterday and has already burned 45,000 acres and chased a whole small town out their homes). I've actually got an emergency bag ready to go and two external hard drives ready to unplug and pack. Actually,I may take one of them and get it out of the place just in case I'm not around. July 4th is coming and,well. :paranoid: As I've stated,pretty scary here in the Rockies. Glad Colorado Springs is catching a bit of a break right now.

A fire just broke out in the area of Herriman Utah. This sits on the Southern Rim of the Salt Lake Valley. This is a fairly well populated place. Several homes already burned down according to the news. Another 2 new fires being reported around the state as well. Sigh.

"Only" 3 homes destroyed in this one plus a few other buildings. 350 acres. Lot's of people and animals evacuated still though. Wind changed directions just in time and pushed the fire back away from the fires. It was getting real scary for those folks down that way. Fire started by a car parked on top of dry grass.

harriman1.jpg

Harriman2.jpg

Harriman3.jpg

Harriman4.jpg

Harriman5.jpg

Harriman6.jpg

Harriman7.jpg

Well, I got the heck out of Colorado Springs and am now breathing the fresh air at my parents' place in NoCal. So nice to wake up without coughing and watery eyes from the smoke. Also glad I got out of there right before Obama gott into town. I'm sure he genuinely feels badly about the properties destroyed, but I'm also very cycnical about presidents touring disasters in important swing states during election years... I know evacuees were happy to see him though, so I'm glad they recieved some comfort from his visit.

A fire just broke out in the area of Herriman Utah. This sits on the Southern Rim of the Salt Lake Valley. This is a fairly well populated place. Several homes already burned down according to the news. Another 2 new fires being reported around the state as well. Sigh.

Oh no. I really hope you are staying safe!

Interesting, thank you for the link, China.

Thanks K. I'm okay where I live,(though a bit nervous up here in the hills). I'm glad that you're the same after that fire in Colorado Springs. All the fires have been well away from here,(so far),and that one was down in "The Valley" well away from where I live. Though we could see the smoke. 25 years here and I've never seen it like this. Told my fiance' that I need to get to Nevada so I can breath some fresh air. That's bad. ;)

Looking East at sunset. That's all the smoke from several of the fires drifting in the sky.

smokekmbll.jpg

Archived