Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DenverPost:Colorado Wildfires: Eight wildfires roaring across the state

Stadium-Armory

fire.jpg

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_20926391/

Its brutally dry, but thankfully some large raindrops are starting to fall here in Boulder. Come on rain, lets do this!

Here's hoping the firefighters and slurry bomber pilots get a break soon.

slurry-bomber1.jpg

The 'high park' fire alone is 83,000 acres. As a matter of perspective, the District of Columbia is 43,000 acres.

It's downright nasty out there. Couple of my Air Force friends live out there. Both are treated daily to massive plumes of smoke. Couldn't ask for more horrible conditions for the fire season. And it's really just the start of it. Feel bad for all those affected by them. And man,the firefighters have just got to be feeling a bit overwhelmed. Tough work they're doing to say the least.

They have banned any type of fire all across the state, to include charcoal bbq. can't even fire up the grill :(

Map-of-Colorado-wildfires-June-23-2012.jpg

---------- Post added June-24th-2012 at 08:44 PM ----------

It's downright nasty out there. Couple of my Air Force friends live out there.

you mentioned some of your buddies are down in Manitou Springs. My supervisor lives in North Colorado Springs, about 10 mins from Manitou. She said they've got mandatory evacuations going on around there.

The weather is supposed to be hot and dry the entire week, Mother Nature not helping very much :(

They should both be fine. One lives around Fort Collins the other just outside Colorado Springs. On the East side. Now hopefully that one stays in the mountains.

Yeah. The Pine beetles have absolutely devastated some areas of the forests out this way. It's depressing and scary.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/06/25/us-usa-wildfires-idINBRE85L1DD20120625

Raging Colorado wildfire grows near U.S. Air Force Academy

(Reuters) - An out-of-control wildfire near some of Colorado's most visited tourist sites expanded overnight, keeping some 6,000 people from their homes on Monday, and forecasts said winds could push the flames toward the United States Air Force Academy.

On Monday morning, the Waldo Canyon fire near Colorado Springs, about 80 miles south of Denver, continued to burn near the base of Pikes Peak, whose vistas helped inspire the patriotic tune "America the Beautiful."

The fire had prompted the evacuation of 11,000 people on Sunday but residents of the town of Manitou Springs, often used as a base for visits to Pikes Peak, had been allowed home, leaving 6,000 people still displaced.

*Click Link For More*

That one blew right up and apparently,there's another one that just started burning out towards Aspen,(according to one of those friends of mine).

The one in Sanpete County here in Planet Utah sits at about 30,000 acres burned and,so far,has traveled 18 miles. I can see the smoke from that one. It also burned about 25-30 structures including 12-15 primary homes. All this and Fire Season hasn't even started yet. Sigh.

Waldo Canyon Fire, Colorado's #1 priority fire right now, is out my back door. I can see flames from my balcony...although now the smoke is so bad we can't really see much.

We are screwed if the fire jumps highway 24. Apparently the fire is now 5% contained, so that's good.

The weather here is awful. Unprecedented heat and windy. It's been over 100 degrees for the past 3 days and there's no sign of let up anytime soon.

They haven't been able to get in to investigate what started the fire, but it's likely the serial arsonist struck again. In Teller and El Paso county, firefighters have worked on 20 arson fires in the last week and a half...

you mentioned some of your buddies are down in Manitou Springs. My supervisor lives in North Colorado Springs, about 10 mins from Manitou. She said they've got mandatory evacuations going on around there.

The weather is supposed to be hot and dry the entire week, Mother Nature not helping very much :(

Manitou Springs was evacuated, but residents have been allowed back. Over 11,000 people were evacuated Saturday in total. I have 2 friends who live in the Cedar Heights subdivision firefighters are trying to protect...praying their homes stay protected.

That's unfortunate... I'm planning to be out that way next week. :(

Bring a gas mask. Air quality's pretty bad.

Waldo Canyon fire outside of Colorado Springs has gotten bad in just the past hour. Changed direction with the wind and they are evacuating western portions of the city.

Just got a text from one of my friends working emergency management for this fire saying an arsonist just set a fire outside one of the evacuation centers. I have never seen anything like this...and I'm from SoCal where all the crazy arsonists come out of the woodwork when the Santa Ana winds start up.

Special k, where are you at in Colorado?

The weather isn't helping, 105 degrees and single digit humidity. :(

I'm in Colorado Springs...and yes, this weather is absolutely unbearable. I can't imagine having to fight the fires in this heat...

Hit me up if u wanna get wasted :)

Duly noted :pfft:

I'm in Colorado Springs...and yes, this weather is absolutely unbearable. I can't imagine having to fight the fires in this heat...

Somehow I don't think that triple digit temperatures make too much of a difference for the comfort of anyone with any up close proximity to the action.

I'm in Colorado Springs.....

Nice. My supervisor lives down that way as well, same exit as the AF Academy I believe.

We were just in Manitou Springs like 3-4 weeks ago, took some family down there to see Pike's Peak and ride the cog railway :)

I'm in Parker in Douglass County, about 15 miles south of Denver.

Welp, my supervisor just got to work. She has several relatives from Manitou that have been evacuated and are staying with her until this is all over.

She just showed me some pictures she took with her phone, she can now see the flames in the hills from her front yard. She was a tad bit worried before, but now things are starting to get scary...

Nasty out there. The Flying W Ranch out there in Colorado Springs burned to the ground. Kind of a landmark there if memory serves. Parts of the city of Boulder are on pre-evacuation status due to a fire near there. Here,lightning started another fire not that far from the big one going on South of here. Just what they need. Friends of mine are being evacuated as we speak. It's getting downright scary out here in the West.

Archived