Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DenverPost:Colorado Wildfires: Eight wildfires roaring across the state

Stadium-Armory

Crooks target homes in evacuated zones as Colorado suffers most destructive wildfire ever

'The weather is making progress in a bad direction,' one first responer says, getting hotter and drier. Fires are are also spreading in other Western states.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — People who fled the most destructive fire in Colorado's history are being allowed temporary visits to the most devastated neighborhoods.

Many will find that their homes were among the nearly 350 burned to the ground, while others might find their homes were robbed.

Colorado Springs police said 24 burglaries and attempted burglaries have been reported in evacuation zones, according to KKTV 11 News.

"It's almost as bad as the house being burned down, because you feel violated that there are people out there that prey upon victims that are already suffering," Linda Burton told the station on Saturday. "I feel like I have been hit by a train."

About 10,000 people remain evacuated, down from more than 30,000 at the peak of the Waldo Canyon fire in Colorado Springs.

Click on the link for the full article

Unbelievable footage of the Waldo Canyon firestorm Tuesday night in the Mountain Shadows nighborhood - footage shot by Colorado Springs Fire Department

Very surprised to see a hotshot crew from Redding, CA (near my hometown in CA) working to help save homes. Absolutely incredible.

Thank you firefighters and everyone else who saved our town. As bad as this was, it's clear it could have been so much worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZei9lJ2G1k

EDIT: Note to self, if ever evacuated from a wildfire, remember to leave your garden hose hooked up. Ember caught on one roof, and a firefighter was able to use the garden hose to extinguish the small roof fire and save the home. So cool to watch :)

I could probably figure out how to put a house fire out. These firefighters? Holy crap. I mean, a raise (which would never happen) wouldn't even begin to acknowledge their value.

I can agree with you on that!

I forget where I saw it, but at the onset of the Waldo Canyon fire, I saw a photo of firefighters sprinting to the top of the Incline in full gear, over 100 degree heat, to put up an American flag. FYI, the Manitou Incline is a mile long, steep ass trail of railroad cogs. Most of the athletes at the OTC use it for cross training/bragging rights (but they all get to take their shirts off or strip down to their sports bras when they run up). Everytime I hike up it, I think I'm going to die :ols: Seeing them run up in full gear was quite impressive...

PCS - how go the fires in Utah???

---------- Post added July-2nd-2012 at 10:21 PM ----------

I am simply happy that my family members out there are not losing their homes in this situation and are safe thus far. I have 7 close family members that live close enough, but far enough.

I'm glad to hear they are safe :)

I almost went out there a little over a month ago. My sister in law was having complications with their first. That night while I was looking up flights, I got a call from my brother telling me they were both fine. About 6 weeks early, but fine.

Whew. I just wanted to be there for them. Induced on May 15th. He's just a cute little smidgen. haha.

You working still ? I thought your job was based in Colorado.

Glad everyone is okay,( I have friends out there who watched it all,but weren't all that close to the fires). Incredible video,(I was watching a few last night too). Here are some pics taken by a fire fire fighter. This was the Rosecrest fire down by Herriman in way South Salt Lake,(35-40 miles from here).

http://www.pbase.com/unifiedfire/herriman12

K the fires here continue. Right when they get a couple 100 or near 100 percent contained,another couple start. 2 of them day before yesterday. Both human caused. :doh: One up North that they have roughly 75% contained and the other in Southern Utah. In Dixie National Forest. :( It quadrupled in size in less than 12 hours yesterday to 5000 acres. About 550 residences, 300 outbuildings, 1 commercial property threatened. They're considering,(as of last night),closing down a major stretch of a highway there. Threatening to cross it. Sigh. July 4th coming up so eyes out for the idiots the next 5 days or so.

Edit. Above fire started by" faulty ATV spark arrestor."

Another grass fire started this am near Ogden canyon. Threatened some houses before they got it under control.

It is that. We need some drastic changes in the weather and soon before things get way,way out of hand. That and before I end up slapping the **** out of the few idiots who are whining about no fireworks here. :doh:

Archived