Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obamacare...(new title): GOP DEATH PLAN: Don-Ryan's Express

JMS

Obamacare was the GOP's plan, right up until he proposed it, just like No Child Left Behind was Ted Kennedy's education plan until W took it for himself. The ACA is based on the conservative thinktank Heritage foundation's plan that was first implemented by Mitt Romney, who was effusively praised for it by Newt Gingrich. When Obama was pushing for a public option, Romney wrote an editorial in the WSJ daring Obama to implement the Massachusetts plan nationwide...which much to his an other GOPer's shock and dismay, he did.  The tax on premium healthcare plans to subsidize insurance for the poor - that was McCain's proposal during his 2008 presidential campaign.

The best healthcare alternative plan was proposed by GOP Senator Bob Bennett, and the tea party made it their mission to get rid of him because of it.

Edited by Riggo-toni
  • Like 5

My wife and i go back and forth on this all the time..she really likes Obamacare and im not as big a fan.

I like some of the things it covers like pre-existing conditions and kids until their 26 but i still think this is another thing that does way more for the poor and not the middle class.

Bottom line is we need single payer, we already have universal health care we just dont have a universal way of paying for it.

My wife has been an e.r. nurse for a long time,  nobody gets turned away, if you dont have health insurance in this country you just go to the e.r.  that's why they sometimes have 10 hour waits with almost no critical patients.

We need to cut the billionaires out of the loop who privide nothing and syphon off billions of dollars that could be used to provide patient care and we need people who have low paying jobs and no health coverage to have to cover at least some part of their care in the form of a payroll tax.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Springfield said:

I'll be the first to say it.  Under this plan, health insurance premiums will surely go up.  Not a chance they go down.

Pointing out that health insurance premiums have been going up pretty much forever.  So having them go up under this plan isn't necessarily damnation of the plan, nor a terribly bold prediction.  

• Like 2

I hate Trump, but I do agree with a single set of federal regulations replacing the labyrinth of state laws. Included in those federal regulations should be guidelines for universal forms, so that every insurance company uses the same paperwork, thus greatly reducing the load for Drs. We are spending roughly double on paperwork for healthcare than other nations.

2 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Jesus -I think we all knew they didn't have a real repeal and replace plan. But this is worse than even I expected. 

So, if you don't have something for X time, you pay a higher price (fined) but it goes to the companies? Is that right?

Is this right?  I've heard this elsewhere, but I haven't seen it any of the synaposis of the bills that I have read.  Anybody know if this is true?

(Okay, looks like it is.  A 30% surcharge if you are uninsured for 

https://energycommerce.house.gov/sites/republicans.energycommerce.house.gov/files/documents/Section-by-Section Summary_Final.pdf

" If the applicant had a lapse in coverage for greater than 63 days, issuers will assess a flat 30 percent late-enrollment surcharge on top of their base premium based on their decision to forgo coverage. This late-enrollment surcharge would be the same for all market entrants, regardless of health status, and discontinued after 12 months, incentivizing enrollees to remain covered."

Edited by PeterMP

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

I hate Trump, but I do agree with a single set of federal regulations replacing the labyrinth of state laws. Included in those federal regulations should be guidelines for universal forms, so that every insurance company uses the same paperwork, thus greatly reducing the load for Drs. We are spending roughly double on paperwork for healthcare than other nations.

I think the major driver of paperwork is the number of plans in an area not state lines or anything like that.  Diversifying plans will increase the paper work.  Not decrease it.

Also, some states have by themselves eliminated the lines into their state.  It didn't help control costs.

As near I can tell, the Republican plan also eliminates the caps on insurance company profits (the cap on the medical loss ration the insurance companies can surpass).

It allows companies to charge as much as they want and if you don't buy it for some period of time by law they have to charge you extra if you do decide to buy it at some point in time.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

I think the major driver of paperwork is the number of plans in an area not state lines or anything like that.  Diversifying plans will increase the paper work.  Not decrease it.

If all plans were required to use the very same universal forms for referrals, reimbursements, etc. you don't think think that would reduce the burden for Drs? 

3 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

If all plans were required to use the very same universal forms for referrals, reimbursements, etc. you don't think think that would reduce the burden for Drs? 

I guess this is where I don't know enough to know.  I've never even gotten a referral form.  It is all done by phone or electronically from what I've done.  I guess I don't know what the doctor is doing with the referral with respect to the insurance company.

My understanding has always been the majority of the overhead costs is related to the diversity of plans, especially with respect to billing and what the provider gets paid by whom for what and the other issues with people being on different plans.  I come in with my plan and I have certain out of pocket costs and the insurance company (based on my plan) pays certain amounts for certain things.  Somebody else comes in with another plan and the nature of whom is paying for what is different and there is a very different billing process, and the provider has to keep all of that straight and bill the right person the right amount for the right thing.

Certainly, the referral process itself (and keeping track of who needs them and who does not) and whether they are accepted is an issue, but again, that's an issue with lots of different plans.

Reading the healthcare economics literature, I don't see a lot of talk about reducing spending by going to a standard referral form.

Eliminating the need to have referrals would reduce overhead, but I'm not sure, especially today, the form makes much of a difference.

2 hours ago, Larry said:

Pointing out that health insurance premiums have been going up pretty much forever.  So having them go up under this plan isn't necessarily damnation of the plan, nor a terribly bold prediction.  

The whole point of health care reform is to combat the overwhelming costs of health care, is it not?

To me, if they go up, then that's a plan that doesn't effectively serve its primary goal.

6 minutes ago, Springfield said:

The whole point of health care reform is to combat the overwhelming costs of health care, is it not?

To me, if they go up, then that's a plan that doesn't effectively serve its primary goal.

No, not even close. The whole point of this is to ensure and increase insurance company profits, everything else is bull**** and window dressing to sell it to the rubes.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, DCranon21 said:

Well if Heritage, Freedom Works and Club For Growth all says this is crap on a stick, then this is a pretty crappy alternative. They had 7 years to come up with something. 7 whole years.

I'm enjoying this mess.