Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Robert Griffin III leads NFL jersey sales in May

RawRebel

I gotta get me one asap.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8296d074/article/robert-griffin-iii-leads-nfl-jersey-sales-in-may

Popularity contests don't generate touchdowns, but the early reception for rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III suggests the Washington Redskins might have something special on their hands -- at least from a marketing perspective.

RG3 owns the league's top-selling jersey in May, beating out Peyton Manning and Tim Tebow in the process, according to numbers from NFLShop.com, via The Washington Post.

RG3's jersey was third in sales from April 1-May 28 (behind Manning and Tebow), but rookie jerseys didn't go on sale until April 26. He's the leader here in May.

Maybe it's the fact that RG3 prompted the first instance of "RNOB" (aka "Roman numeral on back," per ESPN.com). It probably has more to do with Washington's long-suffering fan base, which hasn't been entertained by a successful franchise quarterback in decades. (Flashback: 'Skins fans went so far as to make Donovan McNabb's jersey the No. 2 seller during parts of 2010.)

If you're going to fork over greenbacks for an official jersey, you want to know the name on the back is in the long-term plans. Thousands of residents within 100 miles of the White House are waxing cars with burgundy rags emblazoned with the names Heath Shuler, Gus Frerotte and Jason Campbell on the back. The hope in Washington is that this quarterback's name represents something different.

I was just about to post this, think it's awesome. We not only have the face of the franchise now, we might even have the face of the league in a few years.

Just as a word of advice, go into the advanced options under edit post and edit your title to include the source. All you need to do is add in a "Per NFL.com:" or just "NFL.com:"

I've had a slew of different jerseys (always been one of Dan Snyder's best minions in that department), and usually get at least one new one per season. That ended last season because I was so infuriated with my severe lack of mental fortitude in purchasing a Donovan McNabb jersey not only for myself, but also for my fiance. I'm definitely leaning heavily towards getting one of the 80th anniversary Griffin jerseys.

If anybody has gotten one of the new Nike jerseys, how do they wear and how is the sizing? Do they run big or small? Hopefully they wear decently considering they carry a pretty hefty price tag.

I was so infuriated with my severe lack of mental fortitude in purchasing a Donovan McNabb jersey not only for myself, but also for my fiance. I'm definitely leaning heavily towards getting one of the 80th anniversary Griffin jerseys.

Don't forget about that sweet Haynesworth jersey I've seen you rock :ols:

I knew this would happen...With this huge fan base, all it needed was someone like him to make us a nationally marketed team. I just made a nice $500 purchase including my nike elite RG III, No pressure no diamonds, RG III T-shirt, socks, Draft day Hat,.. Haven't bought this much merch pretty much ever

The 80th anni. one will be my first ever 'Skins jersey.

Only taken me 29 years of following this team to get to that point. :doh:

YAY RGIII ! :allhail:

Hail.

Congrats on the 1st one, brother. I'm doing an 80th anniv RG3 uni to add to my collection as well, usually try to get one a year. Thinking about doing something crazy and custom making a Leribeus jersey this offseason to wear to the home opener....

This is awesome!!

Will be ordering mine soon, I swear. I haven't been this excited about anything in a really long time!

HTTR!

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 08:53 AM ----------

One thing. No matter how awful a player was in a Redskin uniform, I would never decicrate the jersey by "washing the car" or burning or stomping on a Redskins jersey. It's like the American flag: never let it touch the ground.

And hail to you for that...sacred things.

I've bought TWO(!) RGIII jerseys, but they're both the old-style jerseys that the Skins wore in the '70s! They look sweet! And I was able to get a burgundy one and a white one for LESS than the cost of one of the new Nike ones!

Archived