Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hightower back in Washington

Bigwayne13

Good...The more competition the better...I really like Hightower too...Guy was awesome in the preseason and I was really expecting him to have a break out year in the zone blocking scheme. It's a shame he got hurt

---------- Post added May-14th-2012 at 02:27 AM ----------

Is this mini camp starting tomorrow? How long is it running?

yet another reason to trust the shanaplan. he said at the beginning he wanted THT and Fletch back and true to his word he got them both back.

glad to see hightower again, i think he will probably be starting the season as our strongest blocker and showed decent promise in the zone blocking run game.

rg3 should be happy to have a strong vet presence at RB, WR, and TE (hightower, moss, cooley). hes going to have security blankets all over the field.

WhIle I tend to think this will give us greater depth at the running back position, I'm afraid it will serve to diminish Helu and Royster's workload. I was really hoping to see what the two young running backs were capable of. With Hightower resigned however it appears we will see less of them than I had hoped. Still, I think the backfield will be a nightmare for opposing teams. Add to that RGIII's speed, arm, and intellect, and this offense might surprise even the most pessimistic Redskins fan.

Going to be interesting to see how is ACL has come along - its the kind of injury where you sometimes need a full year to get back 100%. Its good signing though even if it just provides competition and a veteran in the backfield. I'd like to see Helu and Royster get most the 1st and 2nd down carries and Hightower be the 3rd down back personally - I just think Helu in particular has more upside and big play ability.

I see it as THT Vs. Morris. I don't think he's a given for the final 53. If he makes the team I think he will have earned it and I will welcome it given his skills at pass protection. He's only 6 months into his recovery, it'll take some time to regain his legs.

Florio has a bit about Hightower, mostly echoing what has been mentioned here.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/13/tim-hightower-will-rejoin-the-redskins/

Lost in the mountains in March, running back Tim Hightower has found his way back to the NFL.

Specifically, to the Redskins.

Per multiple reports (including one from Kelli Johnson of CSNWashington.com), Hightower has rejoined the Redskins, two months to the day after free agency opened.

The Cardinals traded Hightower to the Redskins last July, after he was displaced by then-rookie Ryan Williams in Arizona. He rushed for 321 yards in five starts with the Redskins before tearing an ACL.

Hightower and Roy Helu could compete for the starting tailback job. The biggest question is whether and to what extent Hightower’s knee injury has healed.

The ability to pick up blitzes could be the tiebreaker in this one, given that the Redskins will be looking to give rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III as much support — and protection — as possible.

I think it's great he is back. The insiders have been saying on Twitter that Hightower was going to see what was out there and then give the Skins a chance to match his best offer. That's great for both sides.

The players we are signing really want to be here and thats very important to me. We aren't signing players like fatass anymore.

I think Helu proved himself enough last year to get the starting job. Helu has the threat to go all the way on every play. Hightower just doesn't have that big play ability. And from what I saw, he would have a few good runs in the first quarter, then it seemed like he just walked into the pile for the rest of the game. He's like the RB version of Rex. It's like he's a system RB, if the gap isn't where it's supposed to be, he's just lost. Helu sees holes and makes things happen (hurdle).

Helu is better in pass pro than a lot of people give him credit for, and Royster made strides. That said, THT is one of the best in the business at pass pro as a back.

My guess is our running back situation come week one is going to be similar to last year:

Hightower

Helu

Royster

Young

AND Morris.

Morris can play both running back positions. If he pans out to be anything remotely decent in preseason, I don't think we'll be able to stash him. Last year we carried Young and Sellers all year long, so I think they'll try to find a special teams niche for Morris and let him be a reserve FB/RB. But he has to prove himself. I'd say everyone else is in a bit of a bind.

I also think we have a few "tweener" types on the roster.

Paul can play TE or a wing version of the TE. He can be a dangerous weapon in that role, and he can be depth at two positions. Receiver and tight end. Cooley can play HB or TE. Davis is a TE. Our current TEs are very multi dimensional. That gives us depth at other positions without taking up roster spots. And remember, Zo is taking reps at TE as well as being a part of our defense and special teams.

his pass protection will be huge with the "franchise" under center
I definitely wanted another running back. Might as well be him. Hopefully he is fully healthy.

Our RB corp could still use a veteran, I like Helu & Royster too but neither are a "carry the load" type back yet.

I think Helu proved himself enough last year to get the starting job. Helu has the threat to go all the way on every play. Hightower just doesn't have that big play ability. And from what I saw, he would have a few good runs in the first quarter, then it seemed like he just walked into the pile for the rest of the game. He's like the RB version of Rex. It's like he's a system RB, if the gap isn't where it's supposed to be, he's just lost. Helu sees holes and makes things happen (hurdle).

I didn't see that at all out of Hightower last year. He was cutting back and making plays in the preseason just fine. I think what happened is he started thinking too much about cutting back that he missed the holes in front of him in front of him in the regular season.

Hightower is young, too. Why is everybody acting like he's 30+ already(He's 25 now and will be 26 by the season)? Other than his one injury, he has low mileage as well. For those concerned he's not fully recovered, we have the other two who can give him time to recover. If he takes carries away from Helu or Royster, it will be because he earned them. I'm really not understanding a lot of the responses here.

Archived