Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has RG3 Broken the Barrier on What Can Be Displayed on Players' Nameplates?

CRobi21

Leading up to the draft as we were all scurrying around wondering what number and name Griffin would have on his jersey, there were many rumors going around just what it would be. As we went back and did some research it seemed that there were no signs that Robert would be allowed to have his now famous "III" on the back of his jersey. Then, come draft night, we see him holding up this jersey:

Robert_Griffin_III_Drafted.jpg

This had people quickly getting online and ordering their jerseys. But it seems this has opened up a door, at least for other Redskins, to what can be displayed on players' nameplates. Namely Roy Helu Jr.

Check this article out from Rich Tandler:

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandlers-real-redsk/2012/05/helu-can-be-jr-again.html

"Helu can be "Jr." again

What’s good for the quarterback should be good running back. And the NFL agrees.

Quarterback Robert Griffin III said last month that the NFL would allow him to wear “Griffin III” on the name plate on the back of his jersey like he had at Baylor. The league has generally steered clear of allowing anything but the player’s last name there. It was unclear whether the NFL made an exception for Griffin or if they have changed the policy.

It appears that the league is changing its policy, at least on a case by case basis. Running back Roy Helu is named after his father and at Nebraska, he wore “Helu Jr.” on the back of his Cornhuskers jersey."

Ok, I'm sure this isn't that big of a deal to a lot of people, but I for one think it's pretty cool RG3 can have that quick of an impact on the league, on an issue that really is important for the Jr's., III's, etc. of the league.

IMHO, this was a(n) (over)reactive action by the league in the first place, and did not - whatsoever - take a look into what names meant to players in any personal facet.

It was "I'm the NFL, what I say goes (Beats chest like Tarzan)" and never bothered to consider a person's story behind their name until RGIII.

So pretty much because RGIII even mentioned how much the III meant in the interview at the draft, along with a few other times, the NFL relaxed it's policy.

But, along with everything else, it will never be mentioned in a negative way - the NFL can do no wrong!

Seems to me they changed it because of their ability to market "RG3" and not because of the significance that it holds to him. Without the marketing aspect they don't make the change... that frustrates me about the NFL.

Money baby, just money. Star QB, marquee franchise.

i never really paid attention to see that nobody had suffixes on their jerseys. i guess if somebody is a jr or 3rd and they want it on their jersey, they should be aloud to have it. thats their legal name. chad johnson wanted ocho-cinco so he legally changed his name to have it. if your name is legally jr, II, III, or whatever, i think thats more acceptable than something dumb like ocho-cinco

Glad to see that he can wear it.

On another note, will he be allowed to wear the single, left arm sleeve?

Probably not if it isn't made by Nike. I figured the sleeve was Adidas gear.

---------- Post added May-9th-2012 at 07:29 PM ----------

Seems to me they changed it because of their ability to market "RG3" and not because of the significance that it holds to him. Without the marketing aspect they don't make the change... that frustrates me about the NFL.

Exactly. The league saw the future marketing opportunities

If "He Hate Me" can be on a jersey, there shouldn't even be an issue.

Not to mention "Ochocinco", since it is a spanish sex position, in which, um, oh nevermind...:D

>> He Hate Me was XFL. I do remember the Youngblood brothers having their first names on their jerseys when they both played for the Rams.

If "He Hate Me" can be on a jersey, there shouldn't even be an issue.

Not to mention "Ochocinco", since it is a spanish sex position, in which, um, oh nevermind...:D

Is Ochocinco a 69 with a 16yr old in Toxic City Texas? you dirty bird. LOL

Archived