Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW| Shanahan Molding Offense to Fit RG3

rd421

shanny-is-happy.jpg

Much has been made of Mike Shanahan’s coaching style throughout this offseason. Shanahan, a notoriously demanding coach, has taken quite a bit of flak from his critics for his supposed unwillingness to mold his offense to a player’s strengths.

In late March, former Eagles, Redskins and Vikings quarterback (and self proclaimed future hall of famer) Donovan McNabb famously weighed in on how well Shanahan would manage RG3’s considerable talents.

“Here’s a guy coming out who’s very talented, mobile, strong arm; we’ve already heard he’s intelligent — football mind. Are you going to cater the offense around his talents and what he’s able to do?” jabbed McNabb, alluding do his “misuse” in Washington.

Donovan went on to suggest that Shanahan and Son were going “to bring the Houston offense with Matt Schaub over to [Griffin] and have him kind of be imbedded in that”. McNabb added, “I don’t think it’s a great fit.”

Clearly, McNabb has a skewed point of view in regards to how Shanahan manages players. In his mind, Shanahan is responsible for his career tanking. (I mean, it was Mike throwing those fifteen interceptions in thirteen games, right?) But for fans of the Redskins, Donovan was just adding to the growing criticism of Shanahan as many others in the sports media have, labeling Shanahan as inflexible when it comes to his system.

As a fan, it isn’t easy to listen to harsh criticism of the team you love – believe me, I get that. But with all the poor play at the quarterback position during Shanahan’s tenure, perhaps the criticism is warranted. Shanahan staked his reputation on being able to win with guys like Rex Grossman and John Beck, and it blew up in his face.

While it is easy for McNabb and the other talking heads to throw stones at Shanahan for not adjusting his system to fit the player, the truth is that the players Mike had to work with were not talented enough to warrant a complete catering of the system to fit their skill set.

When McNabb arrived in DC, Mike made it abundantly clear to Donovan what he needed to do to be successful. We saw how that story played out, with Donovan bucking the system to the point of allegedly calling his own plays in the huddle.

With Grossman and Beck, we saw Mike attempt to put them in better positions to be successful, but neither had enough capability for it to matter. In Griffin, Shanahan believes that, for the first time since Montana and Elway, he has the opportunity to mold his system around a special talent.

“Obviously, anytime you pick a player with the second pick of the draft and you give up two No. 1’s and a No. 2 to move up four spots, you’ve got a game plan in mind”, said Shanahan. “We are going to adjust our system to what he feels comfortable with, and we will watch him grow, and we will do what we feel like he can do and he does the best”.

Yeah, you heard him, and he was looking right at you, Donovan.

If that wasn’t enough, Shanahan uncharacteristically continued to explain himself further. “I think he has the ability to do a lot of different things. It doesn’t happen overnight”, Shanahan cautioned, “but I think we can do some things that he feels very comfortable with – with our play-action game, our boots, quarterback keeps that fit him perfectly and different things we’ve done through the years that would be very easy, that he could right now and not even think twice”, referencing Griffin’s freakish athletic ability.

Shanahan also reminded us that we’re dealing with a rookie here: “The hard part is getting back there, third-down-and-eight, reading coverages and throwing to the right guy”, but added that “if he throws to the wrong guy, he has the arm strength to get it in there and he can run and make plays that people can’t make. That’s what you’re looking for as a playmaker and hopefully we’ll have a few more on offense this year.”

Whenever Shanahan spoke of Griffins predecessors, I always had the feeling that he was just saying what he felt he had to as a head coach. What is the guy supposed to say while Rex and Beck were busy handing out turnovers like candy on Halloween? His words never carried enough conviction to sell me on the fact that he truly believed what he was saying, but things are a little different this time around.

Continue Reading Here

But.....Shanahan is too much of an egotistical prick to be flexible enough to adjust his system to fit his players?!?! :silly:

I can’t stress enough how excited Shanahan seemed Sunday as I watched him gloat about his new prize (the guy talks about Griffin like a middle-aged woman talks about 50 shades of Grey).

I literally lol'd....reminded me of the SNL skit...

If you think about it, McNabb is right. Shanahan should have molded his talents to Donovon better. For example, tell Donovon that a play is a 15 yard out, but tell the receiver it's a twelve yard out. Better yet, if you really wanted to tailor a game to McNabb's strengths a ratio of 10:1 run to pass would have been in order. McNabb would have looked much better if he were only permitted to throw about four passes a game.

As for RGIII, I hope they do figure out a way to maximize what the kid can do.

If you think about it, McNabb is right. Shanahan should have molded his talents to Donovon better. For example, tell Donovon that a play is a 15 yard out, but tell the receiver it's a twelve yard out. Better yet, if you really wanted to tailor a game to McNabb's strengths a ratio of 10:1 run to pass would have been in order. McNabb would have looked much better if he were only permitted to throw about four passes a game.

It would have also helped if they told the worms to duck. I can't believe Shanny didn't think of this. Very poor coaching IMO. :rolleyes:

Good post. If you dig deeper into the stuff that came off later, it appears as if the problem was Shanny asked McNabb to learn the Redskins plays and for that matter prepare hard for each weeks opponents. McNabb should have been able to do what he wants whenever he wants -- and the idea of preparing hard is for losers. McNabb showed Shanny once he arrived to Minny that he is still a stud and what happened with the Redskins was all on Shanny -- that goes double for today where we see an incredible demand throughout the NFL for McNabb's services.:D

Donovan McNabb is so last year. I have enjoyed your right ups rd very much. I have some hesitation for the basis of the judgement of Shanahan based on media running with McNabbs comments. He is the holder of sour grapes. It did not work out for him for here. The real issue is that Shanahan thought he had something left and gambled on him. It is clear by Shanahans actions now with RGIII that the confidence he feels in the QB has much to do with his molding the offense around him.

I just applaud Shanahan for swallowing his pride and changing. Changing his approach that created the disaster with McNabb. The point McNabb was making is accurate and was a warning if he approached RGIII the exact same way he did McNabb. In fact, some Skins' fans were worried for RGIII if he were to be drafted by us. Clearly, Cam Newton was blessed to be drafted by the Panthers and work with an open-minded individual like OC Chudzinski who tailored his playbook to Cam's talents. Chudzinski understood that tailoring is important from the outset. I believe Cam's unprecedented rookie season with no offseason impacted many coaches and GMs around the league. Shoot, Shanahan got a dose of Cam up close and in person with that amazing performance Cam had against our D. The thrashing Micheal Vick put on us should have been enough but I guess he looked at MV as a unique situation. Mobility at the QB position is an asset. Shanahan clearly had to abandon his dreams of a Rex Grossman or a John Beck taking this team to where we want go. You can take shots at McNabb all you want but he was correct. I'm so happy Shanahan made these comments about the playbook and RGIII because it means that he his not incapable of change.....that or he feels the pressure to win more games than Jim Zorn.

I just applaud Shanahan for swallowing his pride and changing. Changing his approach that created the disaster with McNabb. The point McNabb was making is accurate and was a warning if he approached RGIII the exact same way he did McNabb. In fact, some Skins' fans were worried for RGIII if he were to be drafted by us. Clearly, Cam Newton was blessed to be drafted by the Panthers and work with an open-minded individual like OC Chudzinski who tailored his playbook to Cam's talents. Chudzinski understood that tailoring is important from the outset. I believe Cam's unprecedented rookie season with no offseason impacted many coaches and GMs around the league. Shoot, Shanahan got a dose of Cam up close and in person with that amazing performance Cam had against our D. The thrashing Micheal Vick put on us should have been enough but I guess he looked at MV as a unique situation. Mobility at the QB position is an asset. Shanahan clearly had to abandon his dreams of a Rex Grossman or a John Beck taking this team to where we want go. You can take shots at McNabb all you want but he was correct. I'm so happy Shanahan made these comments about the playbook and RGIII because it means that he his not incapable of change.....that or he feels the pressure to win more games than Jim Zorn.

And McNabb is still a bitter washed up QB who put divets in the ground. I guess the Redskins did the right thing to get rid of him like the Eagles, and Minnesota did. I think it's three strikes and your out....

Wait wait wait

Chucking it deep to a covered Anthony Armstrong on 3rd and 2 OVER and OVER WASNT in the Shanahan playbook??

I dont get it. Matt Shaub does it to Andre Johnson all the time.

Go away Donovan. You were a relalitvely low cost, potential high reward gamble. Turns out you are a one trick pony without the capacity to adapt to a system that has reaped one of the highest yds a play the last 4 years in the NFL.

Then you did the same thing in Minnesota and its why you are a prognosticator now.

I had a crazy dream last night.....the Redskins, of all teams, had a franchise passer............

is-this-real-life1.jpg

This. I really think the Cam thing really opened people's eyes a lot. Although teams have been doing better with 1st rnd QBs in recent years, they way Cam lit it up last year served notice to a lot of 'ol school coaches.' Shanahan seemed shocked after the Panthers of what this rookie did to us.

As far as McNabb, I use to have a lot of respect for him but the Vikings situation proved that he was the problem and he needs to just be quiet.

Personally, I think RG3 is about as perfect a fit for Shanahan's offense as you can be, potential-wise. I don't think he's gonna have to make a bunch of changes. He's going to be able to do what he wanted to do in the first place. If we drafted Luck, I think we'd more changes to the system than we need with Griffin. He's a perfect fit for this offense. I think the only changes he'll make are doing more stuff that he wants to do. Like the article but I think this "tailor his offense to suit RG3" is getting a little overblown. We finally have a guy that CAN run the offense.

I hope Shanahan remembers what Terrell Davis and a great running game did for Elway and gives RG III the same kind of support. Wouldn't it be great to see us control the clock with a great running game week 1 against New Orleans and win the game with RG III throwing only 20 passes? I know it's a passing league now but there's always room for a great running game. If we can give RG III this, he will be unbelievably good, and incredibly dangerous. The greatest Skins teams of all time could all run the ball when they needed to and it opened up the passing game big time. We need to get back to that.

McNabb fails to mention that before he was benched he was actually on pace to throw for the most yards in a season of his entire career.

So obviously Shanahan was doing something right in his approach with McNabb as far as utilizing his strengths. But with a veteran QB like McNabb it's a two way street, he also has to do the work to familiarize himself with the playbook and opponents, which he seemingly had no intention of doing.

The reason I think this is a flawed argument by McNabb and others is that aside from McNabb (who proved to be finished as a QB so it didn't matter what his strengths were), what other square peg QB has Shanahan tried to fit into a round hole?

I hope Shanahan remembers what Terrell Davis and a great running game did for Elway and gives RG III the same kind of support. Wouldn't it be great to see us control the clock with a great running game week 1 against New Orleans and win the game with RG III throwing only 20 passes? I know it's a passing league now but there's always room for a great running game. If we can give RG III this, he will be unbelievably good, and incredibly dangerous. The greatest Skins teams of all time could all run the ball when they needed to and it opened up the passing game big time. We need to get back to that.

Man, I'd love to see this. I'm probably in the minority, but I'd much rather see 6 - 7 yard runs on first down and play action passing. A dominant running game in a pass-happy league only helps the QB.

McNabb fails to mention that before he was benched he was actually on pace to throw for the most yards in a season of his entire career.

So obviously Shanahan was doing something right in his approach with McNabb as far as utilizing his strengths. But with a veteran QB like McNabb it's a two way street, he also has to do the work to familiarize himself with the playbook and opponents, which he seemingly had no intention of doing.

But yards is an overrated stat. He was throwing for the most yards primarily because he was simply throwing it more. His attempts and attempts per game were also going to be career highs at the pace he was going.

Shanahan is rejuvenated, just like he was when he drafted Cutler in Denver. It may take time, but RG3 is a special talent with whom he could open up his entire playbook.

While I don't expect a Cam Newton level of a rookie season (that was just insane), I do think we're going to see a much more smoothly run offense in RG3's rookie year, and that he'll explode in either his 2nd or 3rd year.

Good times are coming. :D

The problem is, it wasn't true. We adjusted our offense as much as we possibly could given that McNabb didn't know and didn't want to know the offense. We threw a lot more screens and checkdowns and threw more 7 step drop, deep routes with McNabb than we did with anyone else. We tried everything we could to accentuate the positives that Donovan McNabb bought to the table, which at that point was pretty much just the deep ball, and he couldn't hit that with the regularity we wanted either. Shanahan has always adjusted to his talent; McNabb didn't adjust to us. That doesn't mean Shanahan was always right in what he did, but to suggest McNabb was correct isn't the case.

And even when a team did hand their whole system to him (Vikings) he still couldn't play. So does that so more about Shanahan, or about McNabb?

And even when a team did hand their whole system to him (Vikings) he still couldn't play. So does that so more about Shanahan, or about McNabb?

But, but, Minnesota doesn't count! It was all Shanahan and his ego! :excited:

Archived