Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW| Shanahan Molding Offense to Fit RG3

rd421

Personally, I think RG3 is about as perfect a fit for Shanahan's offense as you can be........ We finally have a guy that CAN run the offense.

This.

If Mike got to make his own QB from scratch the end product would be Griffin. He can do everything in Mike's system and is well versed in running a high tempo O, plus has the experience and track speed for the option ('cos you know they're coming in from college, like it or not).

Mike has had QBs to make a Redksin fan cry with envy, all of whom may be eclipsed by Griffin, dude's happy (and has been for a while now).

At times last season when we were running well I really liked seeing Mike's ZBS run game in the B&G. Now our run game with the threat of Griffin passing/running is going to be a joy to watch at times this season IMO. Most of the WRs Mike brings in have run blocking as a positive, add in another big OL in Leribeus, plus everyone else on the OL hopefully healthy and we're going to be tough to stop running.

A passing game that can beat the good pass Ds, a running game that can beat a good run D and a D that can stop a good both. At one stage I would have said that was too much to ask for, but we're not far off it now.

RG3 is not a big guy

He's a pound or two heavier than Hightower, Helu and Alfred Morris and about 10lbs heavier than Royster - so he's not small either.

The only concern I have is durability. RG3 is not a big guy, and every hit he takes, I'll be sucking major breath. His frame is defintely concerning to me. Obviously, I hope I'm way off base and wrong in those concerns.

That is a concern especially now that I read all 4 of Vick's injuries last year came in the pocket and all 4 plays were completions. None occured while scrambling or running.

That is a concern especially now that I read all 4 of Vick's injuries last year came in the pocket and all 4 plays were completions. None occured while scrambling or running.

I'm actually not as a worried. Vick is like 210-215 while RG3 is in the 220-225 lbs range. Griffin also said that he could probably bulk himself up to about 230 without losing his speed if the coaches want him to.

I'm actually not as a worried. Vick is like 210-215 while RG3 is in the 220-225 lbs range. Griffin also said that he could probably bulk himself up to about 230 without losing his speed if the coaches want him to.

That and the dude took some unbelievable hits in college, particularly this season, and he just got up and walked away after all of them. His frame is small, but it's solid, a lot more lean muscle than out and out size.

The only concern I have is durability. RG3 is not a big guy, and every hit he takes, I'll be sucking major breath. His frame is defintely concerning to me. Obviously, I hope I'm way off base and wrong in those concerns.

He's not as tall as Aaron Rodgers (1 inch less), but weighs about 5 lbs more and can get to 230 if need be. And Rodgers is a scrambler (notice I didn't say running QB).

---------- Post added May-8th-2012 at 04:47 PM ----------

Vick is 6-0, 6-1 and about 205. RG3 is bigger than him.

He's not as tall as Aaron Rodgers (1 inch less), but weighs about 5 lbs more and can get to 230 if need be. And Rodgers is a scrambler (notice I didn't say running QB).

---------- Post added May-8th-2012 at 04:47 PM ----------

Vick is 6-0, 6-1 and about 205. RG3 is bigger than him.

RGIII - 6-2 223lbs - combine numbers

Rodgers - 6-2 225lbs - nfl.com

Bradford - 6-4 224lbs - nfl.com

Brady - 6-4 225lbs - nfl.com

Brees - 6-0 209lbs - nfl.com

Cutler - 6-3 220lbs - nfl.com

Dalton - 6-2 220lbs - nfl.com

Flynn - 6-2 225lbs - nfl.com

E. Manning - 6-4 218 - nfl.com

Rivers - 6-5 228lbs - nfl.com

Romo sits to pee - 6-2 228lbs - nfl.com

Sanchez - 6-2 225lbs - nfl.com

Vick - 6-0 215lbs - nfl.com

His size is basically the same as half the starters in the NFL.

Basically, in the shotgun spread when your pre snap reads indicate a deep pass, you are going to have 5 blocking 6 and sometimes 7, The QB cannot bail thus its almost certain he's going to get popped. You got to know how to take a hit while in the pocket.

I hope Shanahan remembers what Terrell Davis and a great running game did for Elway and gives RG III the same kind of support. Wouldn't it be great to see us control the clock with a great running game week 1 against New Orleans and win the game with RG III throwing only 20 passes? I know it's a passing league now but there's always room for a great running game. If we can give RG III this, he will be unbelievably good, and incredibly dangerous. The greatest Skins teams of all time could all run the ball when they needed to and it opened up the passing game big time. We need to get back to that.

Its a different league now. I think a team needs to be balanced on offense. The Houston Texans come to mind. They can do both.

---------- Post added May-8th-2012 at 05:17 PM ----------

Shanahan never threw Donovan under the bus after he benched him. Shanahan could have said that Donovan "sucked". Instead, Shanahan said that Donovan wasn't in the best condition. We knew it was BS. Donovan should look in the mirror first.

I think with RG3, our pass-to-run ratio will be somewhere around 55/45, if only because I think we're going to have a lot of designed runs and scrambles from the quarterback. You want to keep the defense completely off balance, so I expect thing will get more even.

*sigh* Is anyone else sick of talking about McNabb? We've got a guy who can be ten times the player McNabb can be.

Actually I think Rodgers measured in at a little under 6'2 at the combine, so RG3 is actually taller than him.

This. I really think the Cam thing really opened people's eyes a lot. Although teams have been doing better with 1st rnd QBs in recent years, they way Cam lit it up last year served notice to a lot of 'ol school coaches.

I think the Jets with Mark Sanchez were a blue print for this. I think Sanchez is an awful NFL quarterback, and he would have been out of the league as fast a Jamarcus Russel if we drafted him.

The jets dumbed down their offense so much ie: half field reads, that it would have been hard for him not to succeed there.

Gone are the days of stashing high round qb's on the roster for a full season or two so they can "learn the playbook". Now the playbook is being made for them on day one. As the qb grows so now does the complexity of the offense.

I think with RG3, our pass-to-run ratio will be somewhere around 55/45, if only because I think we're going to have a lot of designed runs and scrambles from the quarterback. You want to keep the defense completely off balance, so I expect thing will get more even.

*sigh* Is anyone else sick of talking about McNabb? We've got a guy who can be ten times the player McNabb can be.

I actually don't think we will have too many designed QB runs in the regular offense. We may put in a few zone read plays to make the defense account for RGIII and force them to prepare for it but I think almost all the time we move RGIII it will be a designed pass play. We may also use his speed in some designed roll outs and boots around the goaline - I can see RGIIi having a few rushing TDs.

I think with Kyle calling plays we will end up around the 60/40 pass run - that's just his MO as a play caller.

He's not as tall as Aaron Rodgers (1 inch less), but weighs about 5 lbs more and can get to 230 if need be. And Rodgers is a scrambler (notice I didn't say running QB

If I met him in person, I would feel differently I guess. He looks pretty frail on TV.

1st of all.. He actually measured in @ 6'2 3/8"

Randall Cunningham who is 6'4" is who I closely compare RG3 too.

Both are pocket passers, with very good athletic ability and have a great deep ball.

Only difference is, RG3 would be 1 inch 5/8th smaller than Cunningham.

RG3 is a more accurate passer by % coming into the NFL.

Both wear different Jersey numbers as Randall wore 1, 7, 12.

RG3 is probably just a little more thicker body wise, than Randall.....but not by much. (probably more muscle, cause he's shorter but weighs more)

RG3 is also probably a little bit faster than Cunningham, but again....probably not by much. Cunningham could fly when he was younger.

So if you see or hear people comparing our guy RG3 to Cam...or Vick...or Steve Young (but right-handed)....or Kordell Stewart....or yes...Aaron Rodgers...you have have my up most permission to slap them all in the face and tell them to wise up. lol..J/K...lol (everyone has their comparisons) :idea:

No but really....you want to compare RG3 to the most accurate QB you can, in any way possible?

This is the guy you young guns should be using when comparing and you old timers should have been using this whole time. Mr. Randall Cunningham.

And if RG3 has the career numbers with the Redskins, the way Cunningham finished with his.

He will have been well worth the trade up & end his career as the all-time Redskins passing leader. Lets just hope RG3 can bring home some Championships, unlike Cunningham who wasn't able to do so.

I personally believe in my opinion....he will be a more accurate, more dominating version of Randall Cunningham. Only difference is...RG3 will have a better team around him & RG3 will be even more clutch & win the big games, when they matter most more so than Cunningham did. (In other words...just imagine our current Redskins team being the 98' Vikings for the next 10-15 yrs in a row as RG3 is our QB. :D ) That's how good I think RG3 makes us... OK...I like to exaggerate...but you see what I'm getting at...lol

So your young and have no idea, who the hell the Randall Cunningham is? :pfft:

Here you go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuF2siDmUaI

Actually I think Rodgers measured in at a little under 6'2 at the combine, so RG3 is actually taller than him.

Good to know. I thought Rodgers was taller.

---------- Post added May-9th-2012 at 08:38 AM ----------

I think with Kyle calling plays we will end up around the 60/40 pass run - that's just his MO as a play caller.

This is what I was going to say.

[Randall Cunningham who is 6'4" is who I closely compare RG3 too.

Both are pocket passers, with very good athletic ability and have a great deep ball.

Cunningham was not a classic pocket passer, meaning that as a classic pocket passer he would have passed more than he ran. I watched his whole career. He wasn't a run first QB, but he did run alot. Cunningham had a strong arm and he was a very good deep passer, but a poor underneath passer. When the heat was on, he rarely stood in the pocket. He would take off first. Now, if you want to compare the build of their bodies, yes, they are very comparable. It wasn't until Cunningham's legs failed that he was "forced" to become a pocket passer. Hell, he missed a season because he didn't have his legs anymore.

Frankly I'd like to not compare RG3 to anyone. I'd rather him forge his own career and then have future QBs compared to him.

This whole argument about Shanny being inflexible and not tailoring his system around his quarterbacks is completely ignorant in my opinion. He has ALWAYS made adjustments in his system to help tailor to the strengths of his QBs. As a Redskins fan stuck in Broncoland, I have seen this happen for years and years. McNabb's statements are completely false and are that of a bitter washed up QB who didn't want to put in the effort to succeed in Washington.

Archived