Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Today I got the call saying that this company is going to hire me!

kiingspadee

So I have worked at Giant Food (grocery store) since 2008. I have always worked retail/food since I was 16. We almost had a strike recently at Giant and we just had a new store manager come in.

This store manager has cut hours drastically and is pretty much tearing our store apart morale wise. We used to be all happy at work for the most part and would have fun, but he came in and everyone is transferring or quitting due to some of the stuff going on. For instance one department used to have 100 hours to give out, he came in and dropped it down to 40.

Anyways, for some time I have been doing the talk of "I have to get outta here" and find a better paying job. I heard of this company one of my co-workers works at as well as here and loves working there. It is a collection call center for Federal student loans. Pays well and the hours are fantastic. I work three days and two nights and only one Saturday or one Sunday a month (Saturday 8 am - 12 pm or Sunday 6 pm - 9 pm) which is a helluva lot better than just about every Saturday and god awful hours.

Early April I heard they were taking applications til the end of April, so I decided what the hell and would send in my resume. Last Monday, I was called in for an interview on Wednesday. I went in and charmed my ass off. Asked when the second interview would be and they told me I could actually do it in an hour. I of course did not hesitate and told my other job (Giant) I would be running a bit late.

The hiring managers interviewed me and they said they wanted to go ahead and go to the next step of hiring. I had to do a drug test and fill out some paperwork, this was no concern for me, but I did want to be honest.

Back when I was 18 (I am 26 now) I had gotten arrested for dumb stuff and told the lady that on the application it asked if within the last seven years have I been convicted and of course I said no because it had been over seven years, but wanted to come clean and tell her honestly about my conviction that happened just over seven years ago. She was happy for my honesty but told me that it would not be up to her at all. She sends in the information and it comes back basically yes or no. Because it was technically put in as "Larceny from a Person" I was worried to death.

This weekend I started to get really bummed out if I did not get this job because mentally I already checked myself out of Giant and am miserable there really.

This morning at 6 am til about 9 am I was laying in bed not really doing anything but just worrying and waiting for the call. I heard the phone ring and ran down the hallway and saw it was the company!

I picked up and was told that everything came back fine and that they wanted to move ahead with the rest of the process. Said to come in on Wednesday morning to fill out some paperwork and I will be starting on the 14th.

On Wednesday of last week, I had already went ahead and put in my two weeks notice and said this current week I would work but following week I am cashing in all of my vacation hours which would be my last week there. So just gotta make it through this week of Giant and I will be going to a place where I am actually compensated on good work and be able to actually make a living.

:point2sky:point2sky

Congrats, but I have a Debbie Downer question...

A collection call center for Federal student loans? Wouldn't that be depressing as hell?

Just askin'.

See I do not get this...a few people asked me this at my job. Not at all. I call, majority of the time I am just going to be living a voice mail, just talk to you, try to work out a payment plan, and if you get all pissed off it is no different than retail. Well, I guess the only difference is I don't have to see them in person.

At Hollywood Video I had to call people to ask them to come in and pay their late fees or return late movies...so not that much different really.

---------- Post added May-7th-2012 at 11:32 AM ----------

Congrats on the new job!

I hope you don't take it personally when I hang up on you for calling during dinner.

LOL well just pay your damn loans and we won't have a problem!

Congratulations. I was miserable in my last job and had enough. Was hired in a new position in a new career this past December. So far, so good.

My wife just started paying on her student loans. They wanted us to pay over $500 a month. That's more than we pay for our car, LOL. She got it reduced to a more affordable payment.

very happy for you man.. i have a buddy who did some stupid stuff in the past and it really hampers him from getting a solid job. congrats for staying with it and landing a new job.

Each state is different regarding how far back they're allowed to look - I think. It might be worth looking into for your friend.

I congratulate you on finding a new position, and hope it serves you better. I can honestly say though, that a job is what you make of it. Anywhere,anyplace,any position can be made good or bad depending on your outlook. With over 30 years with Giant myself, my father retired with 42, and my son with 3, it is what you make of it. Best of Luck GO Skins

Congrats!

Forgive me if I sound like an ass, but you quit last week before you heard back from the new job? Kind of risky, no?

Awesome it worked out, and I love that they worked with you even though you made mistakes forever ago

Nah, I told them on Wednesday I won't know until this week and said that I would cash in my vacation time for the week of the 14th. If I got the job this week we are on right now I would work and next week will be my last week but will be on vacation. I wouldn't quit a job without another lined up

---------- Post added May-7th-2012 at 09:45 PM ----------

I congratulate you on finding a new position, and hope it serves you better. I can honestly say though, that a job is what you make of it. Anywhere,anyplace,any position can be made good or bad depending on your outlook. With over 30 years with Giant myself, my father retired with 42, and my son with 3, it is what you make of it. Best of Luck GO Skins

I know but retail is just terrible nowadays. I try to keep things positive but just burned out of the job, I used to enjoy it but can't make a living off of it

Archived