Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We need to draft 2 QBs

Riggo-toni

i enjoyed bruski (sic) on nfl live screaming that we're not good enough to draft a second QB.

"only champions get to do that. only the elite! perennial contenders can make moves like that, but not the redskins who can't compete with the world champion giants!"

i mean you can't make this kind of ignorance up.

Seriously, how do these clowns get work?

Oh, he's a great ex-player. He must be an expert on the game.

SMH.

Hail.

I'm sorry, but for all of you defending this pick, your arguments just don't fly with me for one simple reason. Your arguments make sense on paper. But, the NFL isn't played on paper. Rookies aren't groomed on paper.

We now have two QBs who are rookies that will have to be groomed. ROOKIES THAT WILL HAVE TO BE GROOMED being the operative clause. Sure, one will be the starter (Griffin), and one will be the backup (Cousins). But you damn well know that our coaches and veterans can only be in one place at once. And I want them to be by RG3's side. Not by Cousins' side. And that means we aren't developing Cousins as well as we should be, and that means his trade value won't be maximized.

If Grossman is gone after this year, then 2013 backup QB is a need. Yes, it is, no ****. But this year is 2012. And 2012 needs to be dedicated to grooming RG3. Not 70% RG3, and 30% Cousins. 100% ****ing percent RG3, because he is the future of this franchise, and if he isn't, then we screwed ourselves by trading away our future draft picks.

I

Ergo, the pick would have been better served used on a player that filled a hole of need for us while still allowing our coaches and veterans to dedicate ALL OF THEIR TIME to RG3.

Cousins was an over-thought pick that was derived in a vacuum. He's a great guy, he's a scholar, and by all accounts, he'll be a good pro. But he shouldn't be a Washington Redskin, not when all of the Redskins needs to be focused on maximizing RG3.

Two things.

1. RGIII will not loose a single snap in practice or preseason that the coaches think he needs because Cousins is on the roster. Cousins will be splitting snaps with Grossman not RGIII. There are lots of snaps to go around - its a long preseason.

2. We are talking about a 4th round pick. 4th round picks very very seldom make a significant contribution their rookie years and most of them are role players or backups if they stick on your roster at all. They are by definition an investment in potential and future need - not someone you are thinking will help your 1st round rookie QB right now.

i want someone on the show to insult belicheck and the patriots. i think his head would explode or he would try to start a physical confrontation.

They might ask him why genius Bill used a 3rd round pick on Ryan Mallett with his defense in desperate need of help and Tom Brady on the roster. Talk about a wasted pick ......

No doubt being as he was part of a cheating regime.

Truth hurts huh jackass?

Hail.

Short of Gronk and Hernandez, Belichick has had some really, REALLY questionable drafts and front office moves sense he became the defacto GM and Scott Pioli went to Kansas City.

No one wants to talk about that though...

My hope is that Kirk Cousins can pull a Tyrod Taylor and become the outright back-up QB making Wrecks unnecessarythis year.

I think that's unlikely though - Rex is here because he knows the system. I highly doubt you go in with two rookies as your starter and backup, you need a veteran who knows the league and the offense around.

I'm sorry, but for all of you defending this pick, your arguments just don't fly with me for one simple reason. Your arguments make sense on paper. But, the NFL isn't played on paper. Rookies aren't groomed on paper.

We now have two QBs who are rookies that will have to be groomed. ROOKIES THAT WILL HAVE TO BE GROOMED being the operative clause. Sure, one will be the starter (Griffin), and one will be the backup (Cousins). But you damn well know that our coaches and veterans can only be in one place at once. And I want them to be by RG3's side. Not by Cousins' side. And that means we aren't developing Cousins as well as we should be, and that means his trade value won't be maximized.

If Grossman is gone after this year, then 2013 backup QB is a need. Yes, it is, no ****. But this year is 2012. And 2012 needs to be dedicated to grooming RG3. Not 70% RG3, and 30% Cousins. 100% ****ing percent RG3, because he is the future of this franchise, and if he isn't, then we screwed ourselves by trading away our future draft picks.

Ergo, the pick would have been better served used on a player that filled a hole of need for us while still allowing our coaches and veterans to dedicate ALL OF THEIR TIME to RG3.

Cousins was an over-thought pick that was derived in a vacuum. He's a great guy, he's a scholar, and by all accounts, he'll be a good pro. But he shouldn't be a Washington Redskin, not when all of the Redskins needs to be focused on maximizing RG3.

i'm sorry, but you honestly believe shannahan is going to spend effort that would have been directed to developing RGIII to developing Cousins?

let me clue you in here:

shannahan's job is on the line with griffin, not cousins. if griffin doesn't work out, shannahan is gone. so you really believe that he's going to burn important time developing cousins, perhaps the most nfl ready of the college draft this year?

no, he's going to let the qb coach fiddle with him in his spare time and he's going to devote he and kyle's time working with RGIII to develop an offense that can start competing this year and trying to get all our new pieces to fit.

cousins isn't a project like brennan was, he's a 3 year team captain and highly cerebral guy who doesn't have major mechanical flaws and doesn't need a lot of snaps to "get it."

receivers are already lining up to get extra practice time with RGIII so they can develop a rhythm and try to become his #1, so there won't be some shortage of balls in ashburn.

and this whole "next years need is next years need" is what keeps teams down in the NFL. instead of doing what you're supposed to, picking the best player, you get stuck reaching for needs and ignoring future. that's how you end up with 4th round guys who can't make the team because you picked them ahead of their talent level instead of 4th round depth guys at positions you are deep at.

the giants take a DL every year, and the JPP was absolutely ripped by the majority of the media because they were ignoring other needs.

how did that work out for them?

a guy who could have been DPOtY and leverage for contracts with guys like umenyora (sic) instead of having to overpay someone else's vet because you had a chance to take a better player, but you reached for need and the kid didn't work out.

Short of Gronk and Hernandez, Belichick has had some really, REALLY questionable drafts and front office moves sense he became the defacto GM and Scott Pioli went to Kansas City.

No one wants to talk about that though...

No doubt. And his first trade up this draft was a WTF? move.

But nobody dare say jack about 'St' Bill.

Hail.

Jackie MacMullan was right on the money on today's Around the Horn, in my opinion. The Redskins didn't draft Cousins for keeps (unless RGIII gets hurt, God forbid), but as trade bait for another team looking for a quarterback. We might be able to get our second round picks or a hot shot free agent from them for Cousins if they're desperate enough.

What! Are you serious? This is a QB league. Chicago was 7-3 when Cutler got hurt and finished 8-8. The Texans? Matt Schaub got hurt. But although they made the playoffs, the offense wasn't the same.

So, do you want too see Grossman come in if RG3 goes down? Grossman is the reason the Skins didn't make the playoffs. TURNOVERS!

The problem is that nobody follow this team other than the fans. And they don't see what we see on the field(media). "Well, they have Grossman." LOL!

They might ask him why genius Bill used a 3rd round pick on Ryan Mallett with his defense in desperate need of help and Tom Brady on the roster. Talk about a wasted pick ......

hassleback brought that up and that's where the "only champions and division winners get to do that!" came from and i forgot one other thing:

they asked him about osweiler with peyton because denver needs players and you have peyton for 3 years and he responded with "they're a division winner and they won a playoff game, they can make those picks"

i mean give me a break. 8-8 and possibly the luckiest a teams ever been.

What! Are you serious? This is a QB league. Chicago was 7-3 when Cutler got hurt and finished 8-8. The Texans? Matt Schaub got hurt. But although they made the playoffs, the offense wasn't the same.

So, do you want too see Grossman come in if RG3 goes down? Grossman is the reason the Skins didn't make the playoffs. TURNOVERS!

The problem is that nobody follow this team other than the fans. And they don't see what we see on the field(media). "Well, they have Grossman." LOL!

And yet bashed us when Grossman was our QB. Now they are saying we are set because he is here. WTF

And yet bashed us when Grossman was our QB. Now they are saying we are set because he is here. WTF

Exactly! The media trashed the Skins for having Grossman and Beck on the roster. So, when the Skins try too fix the issue, they get slammed for attempting to get better? I was listening to ESPN980 20 minutes ago and I had to turn it off. I just don't get the media and other fans.

---------- Post added April-30th-2012 at 05:46 PM ----------

I'm tired of hearing of how many picks the Skins gave up to get RG3. How many picks did the Raiders give up for a 32 year old QB? There is a big difference between what the Skins did and what the Raiders did.

[/color]I'm tired of hearing of how many picks the Skins gave up to get RG3. How many picks did the Raiders give up for a 32 year old QB? There is a big difference between what the Skins did and what the Raiders did.

The Raiders gave up the same amount of first rounders we did. Two. (Yes. Two. We swapped firsts this year, doesn't count as giving anything up)

(Yes. Two. We swapped firsts this year, doesn't count as giving anything up)

I seriously wish that idiocy could be put to rest for all time. There are still people who say we gave up three first round picks to get Griffin.

Moron: "The Redskins gave up 3 firsts and a second to move up and get Griffin"

Intelligent person: "They didn't give up 3 firsts"

Moron: "Yes they did, their 6th pick and 1st round picks in the next two years as well as this year's second"

Intelligent Person: "They did not "give up" this year's first, they swapped.

Moron: "They gave up their 6th overall pick this year"

Intelligent Person: "Ok...but what did they receive in return?"

Moron: "The 2nd Overall Pick"

Intelligent Person: "THAT'S RIGHT! Now we are getting somewhere...Ok, and the 2nd overall was what?"

Moron: "A first round pick"

Intelligent Person: "See....that wasn't so hard now was it. The Rams gave us a 1st, so we could give them 3 firsts and a 2nd.

3 first round picks - 1 first round pick = 2 first round picks. Simple mathematics. Your welcome...I'm here all week"

Exactly! The media trashed the Skins for having Grossman and Beck on the roster. So, when the Skins try too fix the issue, they get slammed for attempting to get better? I was listening to ESPN980 20 minutes ago and I had to turn it off. I just don't get the media and other fans.

---------- Post added April-30th-2012 at 05:46 PM ----------

I'm tired of hearing of how many picks the Skins gave up to get RG3. How many picks did the Raiders give up for a 32 year old QB? There is a big difference between what the Skins did and what the Raiders did.

Man I know....it enrages me to turn on ESPN or listen to sports radio and hear our team constantly get trashed and ridiculed over the Cousins pick. We are always on the receiving end of their pitch forks and at the same time other teams can draft punters in the 3rd round, or hoodie can draft Ryan Mallet when they have other needs and the media doesn't mention it.

I would love to personally shake Gregg Rosenthal's hand and thank him for being one of the few sports writers with enough common sense and clarity to break down this pick and look at it for what it is.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828c2383/article/criticism-of-redskins-kirk-cousins-pick-misplaced?module=HP11_content_stream

It's simple.

We need to start winning games.

I think Shanahan is putting us in position to do that; but until it happens, the media is going to bash us, because it's lazy and effortless on their part.

if we go 3-1 like we did last year the media will be raining down pro-redskins/rgiii stuff so much it will make you sick. it'll be the perfect move to get cousins, and all the guys screaming now will say that they weren't wrong, rgiii just is as strong of person as they said he was and he persevered.

Archived