Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Explanation on why the Skins are being targeted in the uncapped year fiasco

PCinOz

I don't think we are going to be hit with this penalty, or at least all of it. I think one of the reasons the NFL has the penalty set up over two years is that they expected some sort of legal action and did not want an injunction preventing the start of 2012 FA.

Apparently the owners voted on this and there are numerous leaks that this was inpart a "personal issue" with JJ and Snyder. I would think that both of these teams will be less likely to bend over. I think this is coming down to a blue chip vs non-bluechip issue where the top earning teams may band together and push back in the form of ending revenue sharing and other things that hurt the top earners and help the rest of the teams, e.g. revenue sharing.

Apparently the owners voted on this and there are numerous leaks that this was inpart a "personal issue" with JJ and Snyder. I would think that both of these teams will be less likely to bend over. I think this is coming down to a blue chip vs non-bluechip issue where the top earning teams may band together and push back in the form of ending revenue sharing and other things that hurt the top earners and help the rest of the teams, e.g. revenue sharing.

Do you have any kind of source for that?

The old saying is that "You can't fight City Hall" -- or, in this case, the Commish's office. But I'd like to see that adage put to the test. Could you imagine Al Davis getting hit with a penalty like this, over a violation of an unwritten (and thus phantom) rule, and just sitting back and taking it quietly? I think the Commish's office calculated that even if Snyder and Jones decided to complain publicly, the Commish's office would win the P.R. war, as Snyder and Jones don't exactly have great Q Scores. However, I'd like to see Snyder and Jones at least consider the posibility of legal action here.

Andrew Brandt from National Football Post was on the Sports Fix a couple of days ago and talked about the cap situation. Mr. Brandt said that bascially Dan and Jerry will probably not fight cap penalty and that they will be like ok we will take this punishment but we will remember what happen here.

I'm thinking they wait until after the draft. Stirring up a hornet's nest right now with free agency and the draft coming up is bad. They said we could divide it up any way we wanted to over the 2 years, then got pissed at Bruce for his comments and said, 18 and 18. I think we're just getting our ducks in a row before persuing anything legal.

It seems like the amount we are being penalized ($36 mil) is equivalent to the $15 mil + $21 mil for Hall and Haynesworth. However, whether the bonuses had been accelerated or not, 1/6th of Hall's bonus and 1/7th of Haynesworth's bonus would have been allocated to the 2010 cap in routine. So, wouldn't it seem to reason that the penalty is not taking that into account as well?

It seems like the amount we are being penalized ($36 mil) is equivalent to the $15 mil + $21 mil for Hall and Haynesworth. However, whether the bonuses had been accelerated or not, 1/6th of Hall's bonus and 1/7th of Haynesworth's bonus would have been allocated to the 2010 cap in routine. So, wouldn't it seem to reason that the penalty is not taking that into account as well?

Yes, this really irks me more than anything else (and just about all of it is irk-worthy). It's simply outrageous that we got penalized the entire amount and there's absolutely NO reasoning that could possibly justify having to eat the entire amount other than cruel and unusual punishment.

The lack of coverage is what the NFL was counting on. That is why they did the day before free agency and made it only partly hit this year. The moment players starting signing, this was old news. The only better timing would be to release this info on a Friday afternoon, and then it would still only be better if teams could start signing players either Monday morning or Saturday.

I hope the Redskins pay the NFL back with similar timing when they announce their lawsuit against the NFL.

So how much in dead cap are we paying this year and into the future for the Haynesworth deal? Would be curious to see both scenarios drawn up.

To the layperson it would seem the NFL essentially voided the accelerated payments with regard to our cap clearing effort and handcuffed us as a slap on the wrist.

From Rule #6---Members quoting profanity filter violations (or other rule violations) without editing the violation out of the quote are simply creating another violation of this Rule and may be penalized accordingly.

DON"T QUOTE A POST YOU THINK MAY BE A RULE VIOLATION :)

I come here for the latest news about my favorite team. To discuss and debate different opinions hearing each other out. Regardless of Internet beefs cause we don't like each others views is petty and senseless but to each his own. The last thing I want to read on here is racial slurs to prove a point. I would hope we are all more respectful than that....

I come here for the latest news about my favorite team. To discuss and debate different opinions hearing each other out. Regardless of Internet beefs cause we don't like each others views is petty and senseless but to each his own. The last thing I want to read on here is racial slurs to prove a point. I would hope we are all more respectful than that....

The best I can get from his version of "street-tuff jive-jammin' badazzmofo spazz-out" is that he has a beef with PCinOZ and their website and maybe had been banned and figured the thing to do was get drop a crackpipe rant on ES about it and get his ass banned here, too. I dunno. Whatever it was, he's going to have to do it somewhere else next time.

The best I can get from his version of "street-tuff jive-jammin' badazzmofo spazz-out" is that he has a beef with PCinOZ and their website and maybe had been banned and figured the thing to do was get drop a crackpipe rant on ES about it and get his ass banned here, too. I dunno. Whatever it was, he's going to have to do it somewhere else next time.

i think he was also angry about the whole "lose games for draft position" mentality, at least that's what i got out of it... pretty incoherent babble.

i think he was also angry about the whole "lose games for draft position" mentality, at least that's what i got out of it... pretty incoherent babble.

I copied his post before editing it out and put it in his user notes. Had to read it a couple times, but he was one of the guys calling for the team to lose to get a better draft position and was really pissed about the wins and also quite mad at how that viewpoint wasn't (apparently) well received by the "nazis" over there (at least in the manner he did it---I'm leaving out a lot of stupid and worse words). Odds are he wouldn't have been any happier with the nazis here, either.

This is another example of the NFL making up rules and penalties to fit its needs. The NFL didn't want Snyder to buy the team and they haven't liked the way he has beat the Salary Cap within the rules. They don't like the way he has run or built the team because of the way he came into buying the team. Remember these guys are rich and wanted the club to be exclusive and Dan Snyder didn't fit that mold. So this is their way of sticking it to the Redskins again. The Cowboys just so happened to be the second team that was the sacrificial lamb. You can call me a conspiracy monger or whatever but nothing is too far fetched when it comes to rich people getting what they want.

the NFLPA went along with it because the NFL cornered them on the topic and they had to accept it.

the NFL is doing it because otherwise the salary cap would be going down. for the first time in league history. they didn't want that news.

JJ/Snyder wont fight it because fighting it means court, and allegations of collusion. That brings the whole anti-trust issue to the table, and depending on how it goes it could spell disaster for the NFL financially, and legally. They're not going to destroy their own league over a stupid cap penalty (lets be honest, in the long haul this penalty doesn't mean much for either team).

i hate the NFL and I hate goddell. the only reason i bother anymore is for the redskins. so I'd love to see them fight it, because the NFL has no case for their selective punishment and collusion, it wouldn't hold up in court. but they wont, they'll just sign a few less FA's for two years :(

Jeez i hope since we're not hearing anything about this from the major players (Jerruh, Dan, Roger, Mara, ect) there's plenty going on behind the scenes. Something like the skins demanding capgate get a MAJOR reduction in penalty or we're bringing it all out in the open when it goes to court kinda thing.

Even a behind the scenes threat would make me feel a little better about this whole goatrope.

---------- Post added March-16th-2012 at 12:50 PM ----------

Thanks for the insight. Haynesworth strikes again...

Vinny and Haynesworth...the gifts that keep on giving.

If it is already paid how is it accelerated? Answer is - It wasn't already paid. These contracts from AH & DH were scheduled to be paid out longer for the next 3 years. They took large sums of the contracts and paid them out in the uncapped year (2010) to make room or extra cap space in 2011/2012. other wise it would have come off their cap for those 2 years also, Is it a situation of bonus' being triggered but not paid in 2010 and we moved those payments to 2010? Answer - Some of it could have been bonus money paid for those 2 years but most was just the back end of the last 2 of the 3 years moved up. That way the cap was freed up and they carried some of the extra cap from 2011 into 2012. That's why we had so much extra cap this year. It was actually a brilliant move on the Redskins part and that the NFL is somehow gettting away with collusion and fining us cap space is absurd and unbelievable. I have lost any respect I had for GOODELL....

I was under the impression that Allen changed the nature of Haynesworth's bonus BEFORE the Skins paid it. Haynesworth agreed to the change because he got the same money on the same day. Am I wrong?

It was not Allen, it was Vinny (or whoever wrote the contract) all the way back when AH was signed in 2009. That is the bone, not only was there no language in the CBA to forbid what we were doing, we were given permission to do it!

That's why we had so much extra cap this year. It was actually a brilliant move on the Redskins part and that the NFL is somehow gettting away with collusion and fining us cap space is absurd and unbelievable.

yep. from a fan's standpoint, this is what irritates me the most. for once, the redskins did something right when it comes to free agency. it was smart and it was done well. we finally start making better decisions, hoping to get out of a decade of ineptitude, and the NFL's dictators come crashing down on us.

maybe we should take away a superbowl from the patriots because they were smart (or lucky) and found a HOF qb in the 6th round. they outsmarted everyone and actually created an imbalanced playing field.

yeah...that would be funny. I think we should take money away from tampa bay for staying far below any floor we had and keep all the extra money to sign all those high priced FA's. Where is the competitve balance there? How is is fair to not spend and stay 40 million below any floor for salary in 2010 and be able to use it in 2012.

Archived