Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter & PFT: NFL salary cap debacle continues---updates include NFLPA filing collusion lawsuits---links and discussion current--MET

sableholic

Could be a blessing in disguise.

Don't want Dream Team 2012. Now it ain't gonna happen.

People here were seriously expecting us to sign every big name available tomorrow.

Suddenly, we all have to face reality. AGAIN. It's gonna be like last offseason. Sensible pickups.

And we ain't "cursed." Unless it's some kind of football god who hates stupidity. Only TWO teams are being punished for this. You think it's an accident? Our front office behaved spectacularly moronically if they thought they could get away with this.

Bruce Allen should be fired.

You're an idiot

Heres some cuts that can be made according to salaries and relase fees on another site:

Hall save 6.2 mil, Cooley save 2.1, Moss .5 , Atogwe 3.6, Gaffney 2.6, Beck 1.3, Sellers(already cut) 1.5, Doughty 1.1, Cook .5....also Trent Williams contract looks like it can easily be restructured this yr or next to save 5-6 mil. Most of the aforementioned were either liabilities to the team(Beck, Doughty,Cook) or made minimal imapact last year(Cooley,Atogwe,Moss). The moves w a restucture of Williams will save 24.5 million.

Awesome. So we need to get rid of our two best receivers, much of our defensive backfield, and Cooley, who none of us really want to see go. I hope this wasn't supposed to make me feel better.

We had ~40 million in cap space, which includes space we need to re-sign multiple players, from vet-min guys to fill roster spots to more important players like London Fletcher. Cap space needed to add draft picks.

Take away a major chunk of that and it's difficult to give a guy like Fletcher $6 or 8 million a year, and impossible to give Vincent Jackson $12 million.

Players will have to be cut, which we've already seen. Atogwe. JSteelz suggested Hall might be on the way out. There could be an enormous backlash from this, and we quite simply won't be as competitive as we could've been before this ridiculous cap charge

Hall may be addition by subtraction.

I'm honestly not that worried. As someone else said, it may very well be a blessing in disguise, forcing us to develop our own players and unearth middle-round contributors as a result. We'll be okay.

It may have something to do with the 30% rule of the uncapped year: According to J.I. Halsell

"Chief among those rules is one that prohibits a salary from increasing or decreasing more than 30% from year to year. This would rule out, for instance, paying a free agent a $25 million salary in 2010 and then paying him the league minimum in future years when, presumably, there will be a cap.

Halsell said that the word around the league is that there should be a deal in 2011 that will avert a work stoppage and bring back a salary cap. That means that teams must be cautious about what contracts look like next season and beyond."

When we re-structured Haynesworth and Hall in early 2010 we may have messed with the 30% rule. Not sure if those restructres add up to 36 million but I do recall big Al was given a roster/option bonus for 21 million and Hall in the area of 15 million (not sure about Hall's numbers). Anyway that made their salaries for 2010 30% more than there were for 2009 and 2011 thus the penalty???

Not sure if that is the reason but it could explain some things.

Again, I didn't understand how we could get away with it at the time and said so. But it seems odd (to say the least) that it comes up now.

I'm honestly not that worried. As someone else said, it may very well be a blessing in disguise, forcing us to develop our own players and unearth middle-round contributors as a result. We'll be okay.

Dude this affects players on our team to it makes it more difficult to resign our own players

Right. Instead of adding the guys we want, and keeping the guys we want, we get to add guys we didn't really want and let players go that we wanted to keep.

This is a great great day!

They might have heard about it, but they didn't know about this when they restructured the contracts.

Repeat after me:

The Redskins did not break any rules.

They did not commit any abuse.

Those restructurings were approved BY THE NFL.

The NFL, 2 years after the fact, decided that they were going to punish us because we were too smart with the cap. ****ing amazing. Anyone blaming the FO for this needs their head examined.

As I understand it, we didn't violate anything. This was part of the collective bargaining agreement. The owners (including Snyder) agreed to it:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7677375/sources-dallas-cowboys-washington-redskins-lose-millions-cap-space

According to the sources, the deductions are not termed as violations, but are part of a recent agreement the NFL and the Players Association made to raise the salary cap number while preserving benefit increases and the performance pool.

As I understand it, we didn't violate anything. This was part of the collective bargaining agreement. The owners (including Snyder) agreed to it:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7677375/sources-dallas-cowboys-washington-redskins-lose-millions-cap-space

if thats the case, and shanny and bruce knew about this all along I'd have to assume that they still have their plan in place which includes going after VJax

Dude this affects players on our team to it makes it more difficult to resign our own players

I understand all of that. It sucks that we might lose Fletcher and have to cut a lot of people, PLUS we don't have first rounders for '13 and '14. I get it, and I would prefer if none of that was the case (but still overjoyed with the RG3 trade).

Again, that all being said, I'm not worried about our long-term future.

Archived