Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter & PFT: NFL salary cap debacle continues---updates include NFLPA filing collusion lawsuits---links and discussion current--MET

sableholic

That's ****ing stupid, and so is your post for considering it.

If I read correctly we were hit 36 mil on the cap. That leaves almost no room to sign a No 2 pick.

If it is as bad as I think it is then trading out of the first round may benefit us in the long run cap wise (not talent wise). We won't be able to resign pretty much anyone and there is a zero chance of landing a top FA WR this year.

Unless there were rules in place against doing it then this is BS

I agree. I would take the NFL to court over this one, all the way to the Supremes if need be.

2010 was an uncapped year; you can't 2 years latter after the fact.

It was uncapped, so you can do whatever you want in an uncapped year.

Keep in mind when people are throwing out cap savings from releasing players, they mostly are using just this year's savings. With the ability to spread the 36 mil over two years, we need to think of these release saving for those two years.

For example, (using warpath numbers) Atogwe, Cooley, Brown and Hall being released saves about 10.5 mil this year. But it knocks off around 23 mil in commitments in 2013.

That sounds nice but if we made those cuts we'd need to sign a starting RT, S, and CB. This cap penalty reduces the overall cap and that saving you get from cutting players can't be reused. This team not only needed to resign players but needed to upgrade with free agents. By cutting those players we have more to needs and less space with which to fill it.

Can a franchise of a 501© charge the other franchises with collusion?

Probably, I just don't know enough about the corporate structure of the league.

NFLPA did it last year over revenues so it's been done. Don't know how you could do it but at least it would delay the supposed violations.

This trade suddenly becomes MUCH more valuable. We'll be getting a relative bargain in RG3, considering that what *I* wanted - go after Flynn in FA - suddenly would have been crippling for us. It's a huge wow, but we got Rg3, we had a good draft last year. We'll just need to be even smarter in FA, and that means doing it like we did last season - avoid the big names and picking smart.

I think it's awfully dumb to assume that we were going to deviate much from last year in terms of going for value. We might have made one big splash signing in Jackson but teams are allowed to do that every now and again.

Heres some cuts that can be made according to salaries and relase fees on another site:

Hall save 6.2 mil, Cooley save 2.1, Moss .5 , Atogwe 3.6, Gaffney 2.6, Beck 1.3, Sellers(already cut) 1.5, Doughty 1.1, Cook .5....also Trent Williams contract looks like it can easily be restructured this yr or next to save 5-6 mil. Most of the aforementioned were either liabilities to the team(Beck, Doughty,Cook) or made minimal imapact last year(Cooley,Atogwe,Moss). The moves w a restucture of Williams will save 24.5 million.

We still have to field a 53 man roster. Cutting Doughty, Beck, and Cook likely wouldn't save us anything significant over their replacements. Hall would not be particularly easy to replace with equivalent or better talent at an equal or lesser cost either. Keeping at least one of Gaffney or Moss would be a good idea, too.

Can we get an unbias opinion? Stop being homers. They reworked contracts, cut and moved players to unload cap space. The NFL told teams that just because it wasn't an uncapped year, they were not to do these things to load up for future years.

As I understand it, we didn't violate anything. This was part of the collective bargaining agreement. The owners (including Snyder) agreed to it:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7677375/sources-dallas-cowboys-washington-redskins-lose-millions-cap-space

Fairly obvious the Redskins didn't violate any rules. The stuff going on around Twitter (including from jsteelz) is that this is essentially every other owner in the NFL punishing the **** out of Daniel Snyder and Jerry Jones. It reeks of collusion. You can't be penalized/"have you cap space deducted from" for a rule that did not exist, whether BA and Shanahan were warned, dissuaded from doing so or otherwise.

The contracts were approved in 2010. The CBA was agreed upon in 2011, with this stipulation being part of the CBA. I don't see how it could be reversed.

If this is indeed the case, then the Skins and Cowboys are seriously getting hosed by the other owners. This is the very definition of collusion. I find it hard to believe that Snyder and Jerry came out of the CBA aware of this and we're just finding out about this now.

Alright I've had it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan needs to sue the bejeezus out of the NFL personally naming Roger "Dodger" Goodell as

one of the defendants. I would walk away from the rams trade right now no matter how much

it hurts.

That makes no sense. This has nothing to do with the trade. RG III will not count that much against the cap.

That sounds nice but if we made those cuts we'd need to sign a starting RT, S, and CB. This cap penalty reduces the overall cap and that saving you get from cutting players can't be reused. This team not only needed to resign players but needed to upgrade with free agents. By cutting those players we have more to needs and less space with which to fill it.

Yeah, we will have holes in our secondary, but I think the priority is on offense first and to give RG3 the best supporting cast possible.

Archived