Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter & PFT: NFL salary cap debacle continues---updates include NFLPA filing collusion lawsuits---links and discussion current--MET

sableholic

So we basically have 13 million in cap space this year (assuming we spilt down the middle) after all our tenders and before any cuts. Thats not horrible, not great but not horrible.

With new TV money next year there is no way they are splitting it 50/50. I imagine they also want a chance to do some cap gymnastics on this bad boy.

Alright I've had it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan needs to sue the bejeezus out of the NFL personally naming Roger "Dodger" Goodell as

one of the defendants. I would walk away from the rams trade right now no matter how much

it hurts.

There's no way this was a unanimous decision. By all means, this looks like the majority of the NFL owners milking the two richest franchises and hurting two premier competitors in the process. In the guise of "collective bargaining"

Agreed. 28 other teams (every team but the Saints and Raiders) will be splitting up this 46 million in cap dollars, getting around 1.6-1.8 each. That's bull****.

If the league approved the contracts, it's the league's fault.

The league should be taking the hit, not us.

This HAS to be legally contestable.

The contracts were approved in 2010. The CBA was agreed upon in 2011, with this stipulation being part of the CBA. I don't see how it could be reversed.

On second thought - forget the lawyers, turn it over to the Government as collusion complaint.

Can a franchise of a 501© charge the other franchises with collusion?

Probably, I just don't know enough about the corporate structure of the league.

Agreed. 28 other teams (every team but the Saints and Raiders) will be splitting up this 46 million in cap dollars, getting around 1.6-1.8 each. That's bull****.

You just know Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones are in some fancy club somewhere drinking Crown Royal and plotting to get revenge on the league

you guys need to get off of Snyder... He is a great owner and is trying to make us a winner. I can't imagine we had an owner like the Vikings owner... one that would never spend a dime !!!!! Come on people !!!! this is not Snyders fault. We played by the rules and damn Goddell has now changed the rules !!

If the league approved the contracts, it's the league's fault.

The league should be taking the hit, not us.

This HAS to be legally contestable.

That's what I can't get my brain around. You can't retroactively change the rules. They had the chance to veto each of these contracts. Once they didn't as far as the league is concerned they should be legal... unless there was something that a team hid from the NFL's lawyers which doesn't seem to be the case.

What a surprise? As if the NFL hierarchy hasn't been sticking it to us since Snyder bought the team! They hate him! Has any team been screwed over more by ridiculous calls or none calls since the Snyder era began? Every Ref in the league has his marching orders from the powers that be, the Redskins will never get the benefit of the doubt in a game and that is being kind!

This is the latest in a long line of screw jobs we have received over the years, the old school owners don't like the way Snyder throws money around and look to stick it to him any chance they get, and Goodell is now the figure head to make that happen, the timing of this if true is just precious.

If this holds to be true we should start mu-dding the waters with a petition of possible trade rescinding, as well as all personnel transaction that have been made in the off-season as well as last season which were calculated under false pretences just to stick a thorn in Goodells side.

Dan needs to sue the bejeezus out of the NFL personally naming Roger "Dodger" Goodell as

one of the defendants. I would walk away from the rams trade right now no matter how much

it hurts.

Based on your sig, making it sound like this news put you off the RGIII trade is comical. And not very bright.

The trade is even more beneficial given this development than it was before.

Chris Russell ‏ @Russellmania980 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

The @NFL has yet to respond to a request, asking if the #Redskins can appeal the penalty. As you could imagine, it is pretty tense here

Hopefully Danno can get somewhere with an appeal.

Well, we were 31 million under the cap. If we split the 36 million over two years, that would be an 18 million loss this year, which would leave us around 13 million under the cap. Then you have to factor the cap space saved by cutting players like Atogwe, which might increase our cap space for this year. We can still go out and sign VJax. Will we have holes on our roster at the start of next season, such as in our secondary? Probably. I do think we'll still have enough space to add a couple of players like VJax and on Oline.

I think the Cowboys were something like 4 million under the cap. If they split the 10 million over two years, they are 1 million over the cap.

This suck bad, but we still have decent cap space available to make some important moves like at WR.

VJAX ain't gonna happen.

GIVE IT UP.

We don't have the cap space now to F around with signing overpriced losers about to enter the downsides of their career. We are gonna have to be judicious. And signing a big star WR THIS offseason is now about 10th on our list of priorities. We have far more pressing needs on defense and offensive line.

Sorry, it's true. Things are completely different now than they were an hour ago. VJax ain't gonna happen.

Thank god - he was a disaster waiting to happen anway. We can't afford to tie up big money on guys like him, and it ain't even needed. We are rebuilding. We are aiming for the Super Bowl in 2014. We don't even have a choice now.

Keep in mind when people are throwing out cap savings from releasing players, they mostly are using just this year's savings. With the ability to spread the 36 mil over two years, we need to think of these release saving for those two years.

For example, (using warpath numbers) Atogwe, Cooley, Brown and Hall being released saves about 10.5 mil this year. But it knocks off around 23 mil in commitments in 2013.

This. While it sucks to take such a big hit over 2 years. It's not the end and we can still be aggressive in free agency.

With new TV money next year there is no way they are splitting it 50/50. I imagine they also want a chance to do some cap gymnastics on this bad boy.

Well that's even better than. Take 10 million this year we still have 21 million in space to start then take 26 next year!

it hurts.

But Danny approved it and knew about the ordeal. Guess he can sue himself instead. :whoknows:

IF we really had 40 mil in cap space heading into FA tomorrow (and just released Sellers and Atogwe, which should get us close to $45 mil) then this really shouldn't be as huge of a deal as everyone is making it out to be. To me, the flexibility to split out this penalty over the next two seasons as we see fit is a huge deal in making this a smaller issue Assuming we split this evenly, we'd still have 20+ mil in cap space for FA this year and space next year as well. Having the flexibility to spread this over two years means that Shanny and Allen actually are still smarter than everyone else--if we had just cut the restructured players in question (i.e. Haynesworth) we would NOT have had that option, they'd have been dead cap space, so we're actually still benefiting from our moves. If we don't use all of our cap space this year, we can max out the penalty and gain that much more flexibilty for 2013. We're going

All of that said, it's still BS that we lose out for working the system to our advantage to the maximum extent possible...which is what every team should be expected to do. I just hope Shanny and Allen saw it coming and are prepared so we can still get V-Jax or Colston, some secondary and some o-line help...

I'm still not totally understanding what we did wrong. It was an uncapped year and I would assume that our deals met the proper criteria for approval or else the league would have rejected them at that time. So now, 2 years later, the smaller market teams start whining and now we have to give back cap money?

Perhaps one of you with better knowlegde of the salary cap rules can break it down in laymen's terms for me. I just don't get it.

Archived