Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: "Report: Redskins already out on Peyton Manning chase"

slackermike

We were out before this whole thing started....he is going to a weak ass division (Denver) where he has a genuine chance at a deep run in the playoffs next year. Not the NFC east who has some of the nastiest pass rushers to test his neck and has to play against baby bro twice a year.

Not to mention i cannot see him and Shanny Jr seeing eye to eye on the playbook.

Sleeper team.....San Francisco.....

Listen, I'm all for brotherly love, but if he really wants to avoid the NFC East to avoid having to play his brother, that's the lamest reason I've ever heard a competitive person give for not doing something. Especially now that little brother's got 2 rings. If Eli were struggling and having a tough time, that'd be one thing, but he's the toast of NY, he's now elite, he doesn't need big brother's protection. You spend your entire lives competing and now you just wanna roll over.

:doh:

Look. If it were just that reason alone and he had no other good choices, I'm sure he *would* come here. But he damn sure isn't lacking choices.

It's not about "protecting" his brother. It's about not making the brother he loves a rival. Did you see him celebrate his brothers SB victory? He's not so insecure that he is jealous of his brothers success. He welcomes it as if it was his own. And choosing Miami isn't "rolling over". If Manning goes there and is healthy, they are instantly a playoff caliber team and their money is just as green as ours. If he signs soon, before free agency so much the better to attract even more free agent talent. They could get real good, real fast. And if he wants competition and a challenge, how about playing the patriots and jets twice a year?

Bottom line: HE SIMPLY HAS MUCH BETTER CHOICES THAN DC.

He also just was prevented from claiming $28 million. Even for an extremely wealthy multi-millionaire, that's a lot of money. Having money never stopped anyone from being concerned with getting more.

No doubt, but you are acting like the Skins are the only one who is going to be paying him millions of dollars. We may offer the most money, but its not like other teams will be offering him peanuts. I don't think that $$$ is going to be the deciding factor for Peyton

---------- Post added March-9th-2012 at 10:51 AM ----------

Check and Mate.

Uhh, not really dude :doh:

:doh:

Look. If it were just that reason alone and he had no other good choices, I'm sure he *would* come here. But he damn sure isn't lacking choices.

It's not about "protecting" his brother. It's about not making the brother he loves a rival. Did you see him celebrate his brothers SB victory? He's not so insecure that he is jealous of his brothers success. He welcomes it as if it was his own. And choosing Miami isn't "rolling over". If Manning goes there and is healthy, they are instantly a playoff caliber team and their money is just as green as ours. If he signs soon, before free agency so much the better to attract even more free agent talent. They could get real good, real fast. And if he wants competition and a challenge, how about playing the patriots and jets twice a year?

Bottom line: HE SIMPLY HAS MUCH BETTER CHOICES THAN DC.

I just don't get how Maimi is a MUCH better choice than D.C.

1. Our o-line gave up 11 less sacks with one statuesque qb and another qb who was afraid to throw the ball. Miami gave up the 3rd most sacks in the NFL

2. Miami avergaed only 0.2 ypc more than the Skins. Our running game took off when the rooks were finally allowed to play the 2nd half of the season

3. Our D was ranked higher

4. We have better coaching in place

5. Averaged more pass ypg than Miami

6. We have $30 MM more in cap space than Miami

Miami's only advantages as far as I can tell is that they have Marshall currently on the roster while we'd have to go out and get a #1 and the weather. Anything else?

1. Our o-line gave up 11 less sacks with one statuesque qb and another qb who was afraid to throw the ball. Miami gave up the 3rd most sacks in the NFL

2. Miami avergaed only 0.2 ypc more than the Skins. Our running game took off when the rooks were finally allowed to play the 2nd half of the season

Miami's only advantages as far as I can tell is that they have Marshall currently on the roster while we'd have to go out and get a #1 and the weather. Anything else?

I think the weather is a huge factor. I never thought Manning would go to a cold weather team. IMO, You can eliminate Wash, NY and Seattle.

This is one of those "my 2nd best friend's 3rd cousin is a dog walker for Don Shula's nephew, and he said..." posts.

My buddy is in Florida for spring training, and just texted me that the word amongst the sporting insiders down there is that Manning to Maimi is a done deal, and it will be announced within the next few days. Take it for what it's worth -- this info and $2.50 will buy you a cup of coffee, etc. But my friend goes down there every spring and he's got a bunch of contacts in the pro sports industry. He's very rarely wrong about these things.

I think the weather is a huge factor. I never thought Manning would go to a cold weather team. IMO, You can eliminate Wash, NY and Seattle.

But if weather is a factor than why are KC & Denver in the mix. To me if he doesn't give us a fair shake it comes down to Eli being in the division.

But if weather is a factor than why are KC & Denver in the mix. To me if he doesn't give us a fair shake it comes down to Eli being in the division.

Honestly, I don't think they're in the mix either. He's gonna either sign with Miami or Arizona.

how dare you bring logic into this thread?!

This is one of those "my 2nd best friend's 3rd cousin is a dog walker for Don Shula's nephew, and he said..." posts.

My buddy is in Florida for spring training, and just texted me that the word amongst the sporting insiders down there is that Manning to Maimi is a done deal, and it will be announced within the next few days. Take it for what it's worth -- this info and $2.50 will buy you a cup of coffee, etc. But my friend goes down there every spring and he's got a bunch of contacts in the pro sports industry. He's very rarely wrong about these things.

Here's hoping. If its true that the Browns already tried to trade for Flynn, it would eliminate their biggest rival for his "talents" while also eliminating another potential rival for a trade up to RG3.

Has anyone else noticed that a year ago Peyton was on every third commercial and that's dropped off to nothing? He's going to a team that will make a huge media splash and where he'll be treated as a savior. Bush may suck, but he's an exciting player to watch in the open field. Marshall is great and, if Wayne comes, he'll have a well-known supporting cast. Whether or not Miami will actually be good, they certainly will be dominating the media - which is all that Peyton needs to get back in the advertising game. He won't get nearly the amount of positive publicity in Denver, DC, Arizona or Seattle. He's going to Miami.

Has anyone else noticed that a year ago Peyton was on every third commercial and that's dropped off to nothing? He's going to a team that will make a huge media splash and where he'll be treated as a savior. Bush may suck, but he's an exciting player to watch in the open field. Marshall is great and, if Wayne comes, he'll have a well-known supporting cast. Whether or not Miami will actually be good, they certainly will be dominating the media - which is all that Peyton needs to get back in the advertising game. He won't get nearly the amount of positive publicity in Denver, DC, Arizona or Seattle. He's going to Miami.

you don't think he'll get as much attention in DC where the other 3 sports teams are virtually non-existent, than what he would in Miami against Wade/Lebron and the Marlins making a run at a World Series???

IBN (IncarceratedBob) just tweeted Peyton's party has ruled out the Jets and Redskins. Peyton to Miami makes the most sense.

Good. I never wanted him. IMO, it would have been just another quick fix.

EDIT: And usually, when a star player leaves the team he's been with, it rarely ever works out.

I know this is off-topic with the thread, but Bush does not suck. For all the flak that he gets for being an outside runner, he's done a good job of learning to run between the tackles (an area he's shown steady improvement in since the Saints' superbowl season). Just last season he had almost 1100 yards and averaged about 5 yards per carry. He's actually looking more and more like a solid all around back. For a guy like Peyton who's had RBs that can get yardage in the passing game too, Reggie would be a weapon that Peyton hasn't had since Joseph Addai's early seasons with the Colts (and possibly better).

I don't understand the huge Miami push by everyone everywhere...

why would Peyton choose to have to go through Tom Brady and BB every year for the rest of his career to win a division title to try to get the SB...????

wouldn't he be much more likely to pick somewhere like KC where he could probably secure homefield advantage fairly easily the rest of his career?

I'm not too familiar with Miami's offense, but there are a couple pieces in place with Marshall out wide, and Bush with rookie Daniel Thomas in the backfield. If Miami is prepared to bring on Peyton, they're also prepared to bring in additional pieces that would facilitate a deep playoff run right now!

And let me just say one other thing, Peyton going to another team is a blessing for us. We need to focus attention on the younger Griffin III or Matt Flynn as Day 1 starters. All other talk about Peyton or Orton is secondary and should be backseat news.

I wonder how fast and public the apologies will be to Chris Russell when he's proven correct?

Even if he doesn't sign here he won't be proven correct. The fact is he hadn't told us at that point that we were not an option.

I also don't see how its a blessing in disguise. Having Manning at least show some interest would have given us leverage w/ the Rams. We no longer have that and they hold the cards now. If we want #2 before FA we will have to pay a ransom

you don't think he'll get as much attention in DC where the other 3 sports teams are virtually non-existent, than what he would in Miami against Wade/Lebron and the Marlins making a run at a World Series???

No. Just being honest, I don't. In fact, I see him going to the Heat games to get face time with LeBron and Wade, each of whom also has a national presence. If they make the finals, he'll be in the front row. Locally, he'd probably do great in DC. Nationally, I just don't think it would be as lucrative a move.

I don't understand the huge Miami push by everyone everywhere...

why would Peyton choose to have to go through Tom Brady and BB every year for the rest of his career to win a division title to try to get the SB...????

wouldn't he be much more likely to pick somewhere like KC where he could probably secure homefield advantage fairly easily the rest of his career?

Because he'll get to live in Miami.

Patriots aren't untouchable either. Granted for him, it would make sense to go to a weaker division, but I can't see Peyton pandering to the easiest schedule.

Because he'll get to live in Miami.

Patriots aren't untouchable either. Granted for him, it would make sense to go to a weaker division, but I can't see Peyton pandering to the easiest schedule.

I agree. Elite athletes like Peyton don't hide from competition. Although Kansas City with Charles healthy wouldn't be a horrible choice. I think he's probably more concerned about pass rushers in the division rather than opposing quarterbacks.

I wonder how fast and public the apologies will be to Chris Russell when he's proven correct?

you mean, apologies for the guy who swore we were interested in flynn?

i think not. throw enough crap at the wall, and youre right sometimes.

hell, he probably had more of a chance of ultimately being right about manning and the skins given the number of teams interested in him.

he is no seer.

Archived