Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Addressing the arguments against acquiring Robert Griffin III

themurf

griffin030512.jpg

(photo by Sarah Glenn)

When it comes to the most important position on the biggest team in town, there is only one acceptable answer.

No, it’s not Peyton Manning. And for better or for worse, it’s not Andrew Luck either. At the end of the day, the player who has to be the face of the franchise for the Washington Redskins is Robert Griffin III.

Look, anyone familiar with my work knows I’ve been on the RGIII bandwagon for a while now. The way this young man carries himself on and off the football field has always impressed the hell out of me.

And as someone who spent two and a half years out of my life stationed at Fort Hood in the middle of nowhere Texas, I know where he came from and what he’s all about.

Having parents who both served in the U.S. Army has obviously helped Griffin to become a natural leader.

His teammates absolutely love everything about him and you’ll never have to worry about the 22-year-old getting his first big payday and letting the money go to his head or turning into some kind of raging ego case.

While every rookie comes with some risk, I continue to believe that Griffin is as close to a sure thing as you’re going to get these days.

As long as he ends up in the right system with a coaching staff that is willing and able to work with his skill set, I fully expect RGIII to become one of the most popular and marketable stars the NFL has to offer.

Wouldn’t it be nice for the Redskins to have a player like that?

That being said, I know that more than a few ‘Skins fans have concerns about Griffin. I know that not everyone is on board with the idea of acquiring the Heisman Trophy winner or the price tag that’s attached to moving up in the draft to land the Baylor standout.

With that in mind, I’ve decided to address some of the most common arguments I’ve heard by skeptical fans who are against Griffin landing in D.C.

The Redskins aren’t one player away. They simply have too many needs to mortgage their future for one player.

For better or worse, this will be the defining offseason of the Mike Shanahan era.

Sure, he’s a two-time Super Bowl winning coach and all, but the majority of his success came elsewhere* and his record in Washington is a lot closer to that of Jim Zorn and Steve Spurrier than it is to his golden years in Denver.

*A Redskins tradition during the Daniel Snyder era.

In his first season, Shanahan tried to win with an aging veteran. That experiment failed miserably.

In his second season, Shanahan opted to focus on other areas and go into the season with two of the least heralded quarterbacks the league had to offer.

The Redskins spent less on the quarterback position than any other team in football and you saw how well that worked out, right?

As Shanahan heads into the midpoint of his five-year contract, it’s time to address the quarterback position once and for all. Rather than embracing another past-his-prime quarterback or settling on the “best available,” why wouldn’t Shanahan go after the most electrifying player in this year’s draft?

Let me ask you a serious question – do you think the New York Giants regret for a second the decision to trade away multiple high draft picks for Eli Manning?

Sure, the Giants had to sacrifice to acquire their quarterback of choice, but two Super Bowl victories later it’s safe to say they’re not losing sleep over missing out on Shawne Merriman or whoever else New York would have selected in the 2005 draft.

I understand the sentiment of fans who saw the Redskins stockpile draft picks last offseason and want nothing more than another double-digit draft class, but there’s got to be a balance between quantity and quality.

Last year’s draft class helped to build some much-needed depth across the board. But at some point the Redskins have to do more than just collect rookies like baseball cards if they want to be competitive.

And most importantly, having the right quarterback can help elevate everyone else around him.

Teams like Green Bay and Pittsburgh give up a ton of sacks every year, but they’re always among the NFL’s elite because Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger are two of the best in the business.

It doesn’t matter who lines up at receiver for New England or New Orleans because Tom Brady and Drew Brees can make anyone (other than Chad Ochocinco) productive.

The Redskins could have Vincent Jackson, Dwayne Bowe and the best offensive line in football, but it won’t matter if Rex Grossman is behind center.

Get a real quarterback, and everyone else around them becomes a little bit better.

If Griffin III is a bust, it’ll set the franchise back another five years or so.

Quarterback is easily the most important position on a football team. With an elite quarterback, anything is possible. Without one … well … let’s just say it’s an uphill battle that most franchises are unable to overcome.

Just look at the quarterbacks who have led their teams to a Super Bowl victory over the last decade – Eli Manning (twice), Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger (twice), Peyton Manning, Tom Brady (twice) and Brad Johnson.

With the exception of Johnson, who seems slightly out of place in this conversation, those are easily some of the biggest names in football.

And rather than regurgitating the laundry list of mediocre quarterbacks who have come and gone in Washington over the last decade or so, I’ll simply point out the following:

The last time the Redskins won the NFC East was in 1999.

In related news, the last time the Redskins had a Pro Bowl quarterback was Brad Johnson in 1999.

Prior to that, the Redskins last won their division in 1991.

It should come as no surprise that Washington had a Pro Bowl quarterback – Mark Rypien – that season as well.

If the Redskins are finally going to return to respectability, it’s going to have to start with improved play in the NFC East.

History shows, if that’s going to happen, it’s going to take a Pro Bowl performance from their quarterback.

Griffin’s frame and durability come into question because of his style of play.

As one local columnist wrote, “Running quarterbacks in the NFL wind up in two places: the ground and the injury list.”

And that’s true, to a certain extent. Philadelphia quarterback Mike Vick has amassed more than 5,200 rushing yards during his 10-year career, and yet, he’s only played in all 16 games of a season once.

So once again I understand why some local fans are concerned about investing so much into a player who might not be able to withstand the pounding that comes with consistently tucking the ball and running.

But RGIII isn’t Vick. In fact, he doesn’t even consider himself a running quarterback. Griffin is happy to call himself a pocket passer who has the ability to run with the football if need be.

Just because he has the ability to run a 4.41 40-yard dash doesn’t mean Griffin intends to take off any time his first target isn’t open.

He’s simply someone who uses his mobility to extend a play and buy his receivers more time when need be. Don’t believe me? Go back and watch this

against No. 5 Oklahoma with eight seconds remaining.

Although the opportunity to take off running presented itself, Griffin never even considered it.

So while you might think he’s the next Mike Vick, just know that he doesn’t feel the same way.

Click here for the full article.

BOOM goes the dynamite

I love the last argument about "waiting another year and trading up"

Probably the dumbest thing I have heard

I agree. Look at all the variables now with the draft just a month away. The variables for waiting until next year are 10 fold.

I agree. Look at all the variables now with the draft just a month away. The variables for waiting until next year are 10 fold.

Yup. This time last year we thought the 2012 class would be deeper and better and unless you were a hard core college football fan, had no idea what RG3 even meant

The bottom line is that we can't afford another stopgap QB.. our long term solution has to be out of this draft.. we have mad $$ under the cap to supplement the roster. We also have quite a few young guys returning from injury.. I don't see how we can wait another year if we have an opportunity to grab a potential starter for the next 10 seasons..

The one portion of the thread that intrigues me is, " what if he is a bust? " Well, simply put, you stink up the league and then you get another high draft pick, and you pick another QB. You do this as many times as necessary until you get the franchise QB, because without one the team is going nowhere.

Even if we draft RG3 I'd still go for another QB much latter in the draft. Maybe Kellen Moore in the 7th round. My thinking on him is he's going to be a very good backup, and if he can add some strength to his arm, put a little more zip on the ball, then you have a real steal.

So while you might think he’s the next Mike Vick, just know that he doesn’t feel the same way.

I see Rodgers and Romo sits to pee use their mobility to extend and make plays. RG3 should be able to do the same. Again he is not a running QB. He can be a pocket passer with wheels. :)

To me not making the aggressive move to trade up to #2 is a loser mentality. This team was 5-11 last year. Sitting at the bottom of the NFC East again for the third year in a row. You have to take the risk, because you got nothing to lose at this point. If RG3 is a bust(still be better than other options) then you are sitting in the same place. If you want to be a contender at some point you are going to have to make a bold move.

I still say the RG3 or die mentality is a product of the era we're living in. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the guy, but the downside of him not working out isn't worth the risk to me.

at some point a team MUST take the risk of grabbing a potential elite QB if they want to eventually win super bowls. not taking that risk has brought us 20 years of mediocrity so far.

I hope I am completely wrong but I feel as though 10 years from now when we look back Luck will haveas much better career. Maybe it is just that I have seen Luck play more. Exciting time to be a fan nonetheless. Furthermore, I trust Shanny's ability to make the right choice.

I wouldn't mind Flynn either. I am conflicted. Lol.

I just cannot see the logic in any argument against RGIII from people who have beens fans of the skins for more than a few years. There have been so many years of poor play, many of which have hinged on poor offensive, and more specifically quarterback play. RGIII carries both the ability and the character that you pray for in any player you draft, especially a quarterback. I understand and appreciate the FO trying to save our 2nd and I hope they are able. But if it comes down to it I think it is worth it to come away with Griffin and a few late rounders this year. If the FO can come away with Griffin III AND a 2nd rounder I will go crazy, but coming away with RGIII in this draft means it was a success, period.

Personally, I don't know much about RGIII, so I can't make any comments about him. All I have to say is that when you are trading up for such a player, you better be making that decision because you think he's the best fit for your team, rather than the need to fill a position on your roster. Given how much is likely to be spent on picks, if you are wrong you really hurt your team for a long time.

This probably will be the defining moment for Shanahan here, no matter what decision he makes. He's spent the past couple of years floundering around with the QB position, and for someone who is defined by his offensive mind, that isn't good. He needs a QB and he needs the right QB. Whether RGIII is it or not, I don't know. Whether Shanahan thinks he's the right one is another thing.

I hope I am completely wrong but I feel as though 10 years from now when we look back Luck will haveas much better career. Maybe it is just that I have seen Luck play more. Exciting time to be a fan nonetheless. Furthermore, I trust Shanny's ability to make the right choice.

I wouldn't mind Flynn either. I am conflicted. Lol.

This is kind of a mute point, because the Colts are not going to give up that #1 pick unless a team moved heaven and earth for it.

I just cannot see the logic in any argument against RGIII from people who have beens fans of the skins for more than a few years. There have been so many years of poor play, many of which have hinged on poor offensive, and more specifically quarterback play. RGIII carries both the ability and the character that you pray for in any player you draft, especially a quarterback. I understand and appreciate the FO trying to save our 2nd and I hope they are able. But if it comes down to it I think it is worth it to come away with Griffin and a few late rounders this year. If the FO can come away with Griffin III AND a 2nd rounder I will go crazy, but coming away with RGIII in this draft means it was a success, period.

It's fear. Absolute, concentrated, unadulterated fear. "Oh noes, he could bust!"

And it's like...so? I mean, if he busts, we're pretty much right back where we are. Nothing changes. We still blow for the most part. We end up with another high draft pick and we try again. Maybe we get laughed at, but that's nothin' new either.

I just cannot see the logic in any argument against RGIII from people who have beens fans of the skins for more than a few years.

The good teams w/ elite QBs obtained their guys through reasonable means.

The Giants traded a lot for Eli, but he was placed into a system of stability and consistency. The Redskins have not yet had that luxury beyond the past year or two. Coflin was in his second year at NYG when Eli arrived, but the rest of the NYG's personnel structure had/has been consistent for decades. Don't get me started on the Packers, Steelers, etc.

The good teams w/ elite QBs obtained their guys through reasonable means.

The Giants traded a lot for Eli, but he was placed into a system of stability and consistency. The Redskins have not yet had that luxury beyond the past year or two. Coflin was in his second year at NYG when Eli arrived, but the rest of the NYG's personnel structure had/has been consistent for decades. Don't get me started on the Packers, Steelers, etc.

Coughlin was actually in his first year and they were coming off the heels of the Jim Fassel disaster 4-12 season in 2003

"Reasonable" means for drafting such a talented QB would require us to go 2-14, but this fan base simply doesn't have the balls for that

The one portion of the thread that intrigues me is, " what if he is a bust? " Well, simply put, you stink up the league and then you get another high draft pick, and you pick another QB.

Minus the ones you traded to move up and the ones that will be necessary to do it again, and therefore weakening the team at other positions. I just hope whether it's going to be RGIII or someone else that we are going to make the right choice, because recent history have proved otherwise.

the only way they can **** it up at this point is if they decide to let go of that 22nd overall to move up.. Which, as been reported by the insiders, will be unlikely, at best...

We still have FA, Pro days, individual workouts and ~45 days before the draft. A lot can happen

Excellent points all around :applause:...the last thing the Skins need is another "For Now" QB running the offense. He'll do "for now"...He'll be ok "for now" while we continue rebuilding.

Opportunities to grab a guy like RG3 and Luck are rare...and we happen to be within striking distance of doing so. Let's not pass up the opportunity.

It has to be RGIII. Hearing no interstate in Flynn. GB would've franchised him but, neither Cleveland nor Miami were willing to give up more than a 3rd. GB asked for a second. Love Peyton but, don't think there's a shot in hell he comes here. Get RGIII while your in position to do so now.

Archived