Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Africa. What can be done?

Teller

Well if part of the west coast of Africa and South Africa (the country) are the only places not ravaged by war, starvation and other calamaties on the second largest continent, then title can't be THAT ignorant.

but anyways enough with the technicalities lol

Yeah, I'd call that middle-enough ground, and I have never been one of them there perpetual expired horse floggers :ols:

The **** we're all saying sucks really ****ing sucks and we don't have the kind of answers that make us feel confident about resolving all the **** and that's the debilitating nature of it.

Africa will be the next China. I think parts of the continent will be exploited for cheap labor by large multinationals now that Chinese are demanding over $1 per hour.

Seriously I could see a few plants opening in the more stable countries over the next few years

On another note, when I read the thread title, "what can be done?"' I immediately thought we'd have to work up a number six on them :doh:

-UM9GjnTFIM

Okay, this will sound wrong or sound to much in the missionary way of thinking, but I think one of the overall answers is education. Education, tools, and opportunity fixes a lot. Can we help with this?

The other thing is, if you want to "fix" some of these problems you have to work at them multi-generationally just like Israel and Middle East probably can't be solved with one treaty or one effort, but if there ever will be a solution it will be a multi-faceted one that is mostly internal, but supported by external tools over a series of decades.

I think what we are saying in the evolution of India is promising... once very third world and now one of the great emerging economies. Education was the key. Education, opportunity, tools and access defeats ignorance and hate eventually. In the short run ignorance and hate is always more potent... eventually though, hopefully, it retreats against the press of something better.

America rose because of those things and now it's having a rough patch because it has been squandering those assets. We're farming out our opportunity and our tools. Our education is neglected in too many sectors. Thus, you see the slow lowering of our standards and possibilities and the circling of the wagons to protect what's left. We're a long way off from despair, but we are heading there.

Having spent a significant time working in various countries over there, I can say that education isn't effective.

No matter how much money we throw over there, we are not trusted for the most part.

Another major obstacle is the corrupt leadership in these countries. They have no problem lining their pockets with shady business deals at the expense of their citizens.

This is a multifaceted issue and you have to realize we are working with people who's mindsets are unlike ours. DRASTICALLY unlike ours.

The best thing, in my opinion, is to open long term programs, but have them staffed by locals. Locals are able to break through barriers and accomplish more than anything I could ever get done.

Another problem is you are dealing with a mindset of a day-to-day basis. They don't look into the future and things that can be started on now to help them in the future (farm production, infrastructre replacement, emergency preparedness prep, etc. That's not their mindset and this is something that is extremely difficult to brek through.

I am very passionate about Africa and would love to see this continent continue to make slow progress. I truthfully dont know if this can happen though :(

Most American's can't find the US on a globe or even the state that they live in.

WTF is a "globe"?

j/k, I'm old too. :ols:

---------- Post added March-5th-2012 at 10:27 PM ----------

Yes

Great for you. I have done similar stuff. Most people sit on their fat American asses wondering what's wrong with the world while watching on their flat screen and eating processed foods. It's rare to see people actually lend a hand to those in need.

I need a phone, should i stop using it because they fight over control of the supply without recognizing any form of law?

I think the oenus on ending the strife in Africa is on the warlords who are the cause of the problem, rather than the users of a perfectly legitimate product.

~Bang

Substitute diamond for the word phone. Interesting how people (not you necessarily) rail against things like blood diamonds, but if it comes to their phone, well that's different.

• 10 months later...

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-war-on-terror-spreads-to-africa-u-s-sending-troops-to-35-african-nations/5318664?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-war-on-terror-spreads-to-africa-u-s-sending-troops-to-35-african-nations

The U.S. is sending troops to 35 African nations under the guise of fighting Al Qaeda and related terrorists.

Democracy Now notes:

U.S. Army teams will be deploying to as many as 35 African countries early next year for training programs and other operations as part of an increased Pentagon role in Africa. The move would see small teams of U.S. troops dispatched to countries with groups allegedly linked to al-Qaeda, such as Libya, Sudan, Algeria and Niger. The teams are from a U.S. brigade that has the capability to use drones for military operations in Africa if granted permission. The deployment could also potentially lay the groundwork for future U.S. military intervention in Africa.

NPR reports:

[A special American brigade] will be able to take part in nearly 100 separate training and military exercises next year, in nearly three dozen African countries

Glenn Ford writes:

The 2nd Brigade is scheduled to hold more than 100 military exercises in 35 countries, most of which have no al-Qaida presence. So, although there is no doubt that the U.S. will be deeply involved in the impending military operation in Mali, the 2nd Brigade’s deployment is a much larger assignment, aimed at making all of Africa a theater of U.S. military operations. The situation in Mali is simply a convenient, after-the-fact rationale for a long-planned expansion of the U.S. military footprint in Africa.

Timothy Alexander Guzman argues:

AFRICOM’s [the U.S. military's Africa command] goal is to eliminate China and other countries influence in the region. Africa’s natural resources is another important element to consider because it includes oil, diamonds, copper, gold, iron, cobalt, uranium, bauxite, silver, petroleum, certain woods and tropical fruits.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-war-on-terror-spreads-to-africa-u-s-sending-troops-to-35-african-nations/5318664?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-war-on-terror-spreads-to-africa-u-s-sending-troops-to-35-african-nations

The U.S. is sending troops to 35 African nations under the guise of fighting Al Qaeda and related terrorists.

AFRICOM’s [the U.S. military's Africa command] goal is to eliminate China and other countries influence in the region. Africa’s natural resources is another important element to consider because it includes oil, diamonds, copper, gold, iron, cobalt, uranium, bauxite, silver, petroleum, certain woods and tropical fruits.

This really is nothing new. We've been sending troops to Africa in this capacity since ethe end of the cold war. Democracy Now is just waiving a red flag as it is their default position on any and all US military initiatives, diplomatic initiatives and many if not most US based charitable initiatives. DM honestly believes the US is the font of all evil in the world (They've never been able to tell the good guys from the bad guys and probably never will).

Actually no they're not talking about sending the BDE in whole to Africa, it is BDE whose mission will be specifically Africa, and the missions willl draw their personnel and support from this BDE.

The numbers are rather higher than ever before, though we certainly have had folks there awhile

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/06/army-3000-soldiers-serve-in-africa-next-year-060812/

Roughly 3,000 soldiers — and likely more — are expected to serve tours across the continent in 2013, training foreign militaries and aiding locals.

Interesting thread. But perhaps not one I should really comment on because some of my views might be taken out of context.

I will say this. As an American, We need to fix this place and help our people first and foremost.

The stuff that happens there and all over the world in certain areas baffles me. I am amazed at the culture and traditions that some of these people live within...even here.

I wasn't going to post either, then saw yours. I'm with you on this. While its sad what happens in other countries (yes, I know Africa is a continent lol, but the countries there specifically and other countries in general too), I dont live there. My family doesn't live there. We live here, in the good ole USA and we need to fix our **** and solve our problems first. When fixed, then we get involved if we have to.

I feel sorry for the people that are stuck there, women and children born into a horrible situation, no doubt, but if we keep trying to fix the worlds problems and stop focusing on our own, its going to get a lot worse here for our families/children.

Call me stupid (wouldn't be the first time), but are other countries like China, Russia, England, etc. worrying about whats happening in Africa or anywhere else for that matter?

Archived