Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2012 Baltimore Orioles Thread

Hitman21ST

I've ALWAYS wanted to ask this....

who did Nats fans cheer for before the Nats existed????

I didn't cheer for any team. I actually didn't even really watch baseball. I took interest in the Nats a couple years ago.

a little bit of reality.. these arent the twins. however, it was a winnable game. too many walks, error, untimely hitting

2 runs on 13 hits? gotta do better than that.

i think ^ will be a problem for us until we get some elite offensive talent. it seems, at least to me, that other teams are always better than us with RISP. it's like they know theyve got men on base and do what they need to do to bring them in, while we get shut down more often than not in those circumstances.

and our young pitchers have to be confident and attack. they need to trust their stuff and command the game.

OK, I'm not going to break any news by saying this...but this season's success will come down to how we play in our division. I think that simply winning 30 of the 72 division games would put us in a decent position to win 75ish games this year. To me, that would be a pretty nice season for the O's.

We have had seasons where we've held our own against the Sox and Rays, but generally the Yankees and almost without exception the Jays have killed us. I think if we can win 7-8 games against everyone, we'll be in OK shape.

Two observations in the first 4 games:

1) when our starting pitchers throw first or second pitch strikes, they have been successful. Matusz was not throwing strikes and needs to trust his stuff. Why do our pitchers feel like they have to strike everyone out? Just throw a quality pitch and let the fielders do their job.

2) runners at 3rd or 2nd and less than 2 outs, we have to do a better job. That's how you get only 2 runs on 13 hits.

I think I would keep Bundy in the minors this year and let him make his way to Triple A and no further.

That's what hurting the organization more than anything right now: Matusz & Tillman. Wasting a 1st round pick on Hobgood does no good either obviously.

Yup. Hopefully this was just a bump in the road for Matusz. He looked pretty good during the Spring.

That's what hurting the organization more than anything right now: Matusz & Tillman. Wasting a 1st round pick on Hobgood does no good either obviously.

Matusz, Tillman and Hobgood are guys we were counting on to round out our rotation. Their continued lack of development has put the organization behind the 8 ball constantly. If these guys pitched like Arrieta and Britton (last year) we would be talking at least a 75-85 win season. With them sucking, it's forced us to go get Hunter and Hammel.

This is the same issue Matusz had last year. It's not just the walks it's that they tend to come in bunches. He could be a Cliff Lee type pitcher. Not an overpowering fastball but can hit his spots and has good off speed stuff to keep you guessing. Except he isn't hitting his spots. He always has 3 or 4 solid to great innings then craps himself with a 4 or 5 run inning that always includes 3 or so walks.

Maybe the begining of last year messed with his head. His fastball wasn't quite there and was routinely topping out in the high 80's and teams were teeing off on him. Now he appears afraid to put the ball over the plate.

OPACY has always been "Yankee Stadium South" / "Fenway South"

Prior to the 2000s, you didn't see that many Red Sox fans in Camden. Hell, Fenway Park was a dump that they were looking to replace and seats were always available (Seats are actually avail now, the Red Sox sell a bunch to brokers for the sake of their sellout streak, sound familiar?) Then they got good and the pink hat brigade started up. However, there have always seemed to be Yankees fans. I was at Game 3 of the 1996 ALDS and there was a bunch of them way back then.

Not what I wanted to see out of Matuz. I didn't expect us to win, but was hoping Matusz would pitch well.

While we were all hoping for something better, his velocity was good 93-91 and his secondary stuff was pretty good. He just couldn't locate his fastball and the patient Yankees waited for him to fall behind and come to them I'm not one to toss my hands up and call last night the 2011 Matusz just yet.

Archived