Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Well ES, what car should I get?

Special K

We had a Ford Fusion as a rental car and I surprisingly really liked it. Well, the interior anyway. I don't like the look of the front.

I never drove one, but I have read great stuff about them for a few years now. The front is different, but not as bad as some others. There was a Camry a few years back that I hated the look of the front. I don't like the look of the new Accords either.

I never drove one, but I have read great stuff about them for a few years now. The front is different, but not as bad as some others. There was a Camry a few years back that I hated the look of the front. I don't like the look of the new Accords either.

I just don't like all those bars across the front. I don't like a lot of the futuristic cars, either. Pontiacs are so ugly. .

---------- Post added January-27th-2012 at 07:38 PM ----------

I just don't like all those bars across the front. I don't like a lot of the futuristic cars, either. Pontiacs are so ugly. .

Not to hijack, but I'm in the EXACT same position. As I noted in the Jeep Wrangler thread earlier, my car was totaled last night (by a Wrangler). Looks like they're giving me $7500 for compensation. I'm looking for something in the same price range ($20-25k). I drive A LOT so I'm thinking a hybrid of some sort. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

AWD is fine too.

I'm leaning toward an outback

I just got one this past fall. I love it so far. But then I got the loaded 3.6R which you can't get for under $25K even a year or two old. You can get the 2.5 for a good price though.

Maybe hipster isn't the right word, I dunno. But I picture most Subaru owners as people that never shave or bathe, and like the outdoors. How far am I off here?

Pretty far off. That is neither particularly hipsterish nor is it really Subaru owners' MO in my experience.

I'd say Hipsters would be more prone to drive a Hybrid or Jetta. Maybe even like a Mini Cooper.

Jettas aren't really unique (read: ugly) or throwback (read: old and unpopular) enough to really be a true hipster car. A Mini is a decent candidate, though.

I've already been told I'm not allowed to buy an Outback.

We'll see.

Maybe you heard 'em wrong. Subarus are pretty much de rigueur for public health types. OTOH you're hetero so maybe not. :pfft:

Seriously, before I ever got into public health I owned an Outback. It did great in the snow, albeit just the 4-7 inches the DC "Uhrhea" typically gets, was great on gas, took curves like it was on rails, and was very reliable. If it hadn't gotten totaled I'd still be driving it.

If you didn't live in the snow; I'd recommend the 2012 Hyundai Elantra my current car.

Since you live in the snow, I would recommend either small CUV like the Escape, RAV4 or CRV.

Subaru is an obvious choice though the gas mileage isn't the greatest in the city unless the new 2012 Impreza is in your budget. The first AWD subaru to finally have decent mileage.

My uncle has the car I had 2 cars ago- a 2005 Legacy Wagon and that car is still running.

---------- Post added January-28th-2012 at 03:20 AM ----------

Outback is generally a nice ride. Might look into a Ford Fusion (I think the sport model is AWD) also although it might be a little bit over the price, but Ford ALWAYS seems to have great deals on cars. Hit up Mayor, he might be able to figure it out better. I know that the 2013 will be more money, but you might find a good 2012 new/used at a good deal.

The 2013 Fusion is a completely different car and they will even sell an all electric version also.

Ford-Fusion_Hybrid_2013_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

---------- Post added January-28th-2012 at 03:23 AM ----------

2013 ford escape really looks nice

M-2013-Ford-Escape.jpg

---------- Post added January-28th-2012 at 03:29 AM ----------

I would look into a Subaru Outback or a Forester. Anything in the Subaru line would offer good gas mileage, durability, and AWD, especially with the amount of driving you do.

Forester doesn't get good mileage. Since I did more city driving here in Melbourne; that thing sucked my wallet. I had a 2010 Forester which I gave to my mom in WV and I traded her Jeep in for my Elantra.

My Forester only got about 18 in the city, 25-27 in the highway.

---------- Post added January-28th-2012 at 03:31 AM ----------

Whatever you do, don't get a Subaru. Those are something a hipster would drive.

My previous 3 vehicles were Subarus. I owned them from 1999 until this past summer. So that mean I was a hippie all those years?

My previous 3 vehicles were Subarus. I owned them from 1999 until this past summer. So that mean I was a hippie all those years?

If they were Subaru Outbacks and you commute from Fort Collins or Boulder to Denver, then yeah I'd wager you are either a hippy or a hipster. Seriously seemed like 75% of my friends in Colorado owned one. Which is pretty much why I'd recommend a Subaru Outback. :evilg:

Ill offer this one again, going on 14 years in the car business, if any ES members find a car, will buy that car if the price is right, PM me and I will use my connections, negotiation skills and help you make a solid purchase.

I need the following to be successful:

*The dealer the car is at

*A commitment to purchase, if terms are agreeable

*The actual car

*The VIN (Vehicle Identification number

* Dont show major interest when at the dealer

It takes me 10-15 minutes, and all managers help eachother out, because one day, that guy could send me a friend or relative, and would expect the same.

Few more tips:

Be nice to the salesman. You get more bees with honey, that vinegar

Buy it before Wednesday the 1st of Feb

If you let me help, I will save you a good amount of money and more than liekly get you extras stuff IE gas card, accesories and so forth

Subaru impreza, outback, or legacy.

Nothing better in terms of combination of gas mileage and awesome snow handling AWD.

Agree wholeheartedly. Buy a Subaru...best car I ever totaled...wish I had it back every day!!!

---------- Post added January-28th-2012 at 07:59 AM ----------

Maybe hipster isn't the right word, I dunno. But I picture most Subaru owners as people that never shave or bathe, and like the outdoors. How far am I off here?

Too many commercials...trust me, great vehicle. I bought mine with 119,000 and totaled it with 190,something...couldn't have asked for more dependability. I went from here to VA 3 times, and 4 ACC basketball tournaments. Granted, I'm a bartender, and I have the best mechanic(s), but the thing took a head=on collision before it stopped, and I was told THAT could be repaired. Seriously, if you've got that kind of dough, get a Subaru...or a VW, my hairdresser has an '85 Jetta that just won't die. Hail.

---------- Post added January-28th-2012 at 08:00 AM ----------

I think the Jetta TDI would be perfect for you, but I am unsure how it handles in the snow. It is FWD, not AWD or 4WD. It's like someone was saying, some cars(like that VW Bug he was talking about) just handle great in the snow. I had an old Isuzu I-mark when I lived in NYC, just FWD, but that thing could handle any amount of snow and do great. The engine was right over the wheels, and when the city was shut down for a snow emergency, I was getting around and over huge snow banks and not getting stuck at all.

But the Jetta...I'm not really sure how it handles, you can look around and see if people are driving them. One thing is for sure...the gas mileage alone will save you a fortune.

I think the Jetta TDI would be perfect for you, but I am unsure how it handles in the snow. It is FWD, not AWD or 4WD. It's like someone was saying, some cars(like that VW Bug he was talking about) just handle great in the snow. I had an old Isuzu I-mark when I lived in NYC, just FWD, but that thing could handle any amount of snow and do great. The engine was right over the wheels, and when the city was shut down for a snow emergency, I was getting around and over huge snow banks and not getting stuck at all.

But the Jetta...I'm not really sure how it handles, you can look around and see if people are driving them. One thing is for sure...the gas mileage alone will save you a fortune.

Jetta will do very well in the snow and the TDIs are awesome cars. Subarus are great cars too, and Audi Quattros are certainly nice. I'd pick between one of those three options, leaning towards the Subie or the Audi if you really intend to do a lot of snow driving. The Audi will ride nicer and is a nicer car but will cost your more to own in the long run. Up to you as to which is more important. I will say this, however, no matter what car or what wheel drive, if you live in a place like Denver you 100% should have a dedicated set of snow tires that go on the vehicle for the winter months. I've blown buy stuck Subarus, Audis and 4WD trucks in a little 91 VW Golf with snow tires on it, as with anything related to grip and handling in an automobile your car is only as good as your tires. If your tires don't work in particular conditions it doesn't matter what car they're on and all seasons don't count. All season tires are really 3 season tires. Snow tires work better anytime the temps are below 45 degrees because they're compositionally different from non snow tires.

Jetta will do very well in the snow and the TDIs are awesome cars. Subarus are great cars too, and Audi Quattros are certainly nice. I'd pick between one of those three options, leaning towards the Subie or the Audi if you really intend to do a lot of snow driving. The Audi will ride nicer and is a nicer car but will cost your more to own in the long run. Up to you as to which is more important. I will say this, however, no matter what car or what wheel drive, if you live in a place like Denver you 100% should have a dedicated set of snow tires that go on the vehicle for the winter months. I've blown buy stuck Subarus, Audis and 4WD trucks in a little 91 VW Golf with snow tires on it, as with anything related to grip and handling in an automobile your car is only as good as your tires. If your tires don't work in particular conditions it doesn't matter what car they're on and all seasons don't count. All season tires are really 3 season tires. Snow tires work better anytime the temps are below 45 degrees because they're compositionally different from non snow tires.

Very good advice. Fortunately, my grant pays for snow tires for me for safety purposes, particularly when I'm taking minors in my program out.

Interesting, I have a girlfriend in COS who owned this exact car and said it handled great in the winter.

I will definitely look into this when I'm car shopping this week.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! And thank you very much Mayor, for your offer to help me out. I appreciate it!

Archived