Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Well ES, what car should I get?

Special K

I'm in the market for a minivan and this is only the third car I've ever purchased. Should I go through financing at the dealer or get it from another bank? I understand the haggling that needs to be done at a dealer finace office and their rates are competitive with what I'd get from a bank.

Have your own financing in hand when you go, but be open to taking theirs too. Having your own gives you leverage. If the math works out and the interest rates AND TERMS are comparable, see if you can try to get them to knock down the purchase price by taking their financing. To them, "they" are getting the price of the car AND the interest.

Oh and don't bother lying, I found out the hard way during one of my first times that they have the most recent interest rates handy. I thought that being with a rather obscure credit union at the time that they wouldn't have that info. You lose credibility in the negotiations.

Don't be afraid to play the walk out card at this stage too. At this point, they (and you) have invested at least an hour or two on this transaction no one wants to be the one at the dealership that sunk the deal (and the salesman's commission). Go in armed with info like how much more 1% of interest will cost you over the life of the loan. Maybe they'll offer you stuff like free oil changes for life or free annual checks and be prepared to attach a dollar amount to these non-monetary perks because it affects the overall cost of the car. I'm shameless and I bring a pad, pen, and calculator to negotiations. Some guys are real good and can do all these things in their head.

Have your own financing in hand when you go, but be open to taking theirs too. Having your own gives you leverage. If the math works out and the interest rates AND TERMS are comparable, see if you can try to get them to knock down the purchase price by taking their financing. To them, "they" are getting the price of the car AND the interest.

Oh and don't bother lying, I found out the hard way during one of my first times that they have the most recent interest rates handy. I thought that being with a rather obscure credit union at the time that they wouldn't have that info. You lose credibility in the negotiations.

Don't be afraid to play the walk out card at this stage too. At this point, they (and you) have invested at least an hour or two on this transaction no one wants to be the one at the dealership that sunk the deal (and the salesman's commission). Go in armed with info like how much more 1% of interest will cost you over the life of the loan. Maybe they'll offer you stuff like free oil changes for life or free annual checks and be prepared to attach a dollar amount to these non-monetary perks because it affects the overall cost of the car. I'm shameless and I bring a pad, pen, and calculator to negotiations. Some guys are real good and can do all these things in their head.

Good advice!

I really like the Honda CRV, my aunt just bought one. Very nice car and I think it checks a lot of boxes for you

Lesbians ruined the subaru, I used to like those

Good luck!

---------- Post added February-2nd-2012 at 12:44 PM ----------

I'm in the market for a minivan and this is only the third car I've ever purchased. Should I go through financing at the dealer or get it from another bank? I understand the haggling that needs to be done at a dealer finace office and their rates are competitive with what I'd get from a bank.

Both times I've bought a new car I found better finance rates thru the dealer. Just know ahead of time what you can get elsewhere

BTW, we have a Honda Odyssey and really love it, it's been a great car.

I really like the Honda CRV, my aunt just bought one. Very nice car and I think it checks a lot of boxes for you

Good luck!

Both times I've bought a new car I found better finance rates thru the dealer. Just know ahead of time what you can get elsewhere

BTW, we have a Honda Odyssey and really love it, it's been a great car.

Thats what I'm going for. The Odyssey, really need a usable third row and keep the storage space. Really only option. Thanks.

Thats what I'm going for. The Odyssey, really need a usable third row and keep the storage space. Really only option. Thanks.

If your requirements are a 3rd row and plenty of storage space, the odyssey is far from your only option.

Any advice out there as far as leasing versus owning?

If your requirements are a 3rd row and plenty of storage space, the odyssey is far from your only option.

The Sienna is the only other one that doesn't involve a huge SUV like a Suburban or Denali (which I love but this is for my wife). I don't like the way the Sienna drives, the Odyssey drives much more like a car.

Any advice out there as far as leasing versus owning?

Check out my post bottom of page 5.

Generally speaking, leases are great if you dont want to keep the car. If you are keeping the car, buy it.

Benefits of a lease (again, generally speaking on standard leases):

Reduced liability on your part (ever try selling a damaged/repaired car that you OWN? someone sideswipes you in a lease, it gets repaird, and when its due, you hand over the keys, buh bye)

New car on schedule

Always under warranty for duration of ownership (again talking standard 3yr lease)

Many times dealers offer pull forward deals to get people in current leases into new cars - IE you dont have to wait until the end of your lease to get into a new car

Zero concern about depreciation - for many cars - like the AMG someone suggested above - depreciation is a nightmare. With a lease - outside of residual value factoring into your payment, what it's worth in 3 years is of no consequence to you.

There are downsides. First being return on investment. There is none :)

The Sienna is the only other one that doesn't involve a huge SUV like a Suburban or Denali (which I love but this is for my wife). I don't like the way the Sienna drives, the Odyssey drives much more like a car.

My wife gets 24+ mpg with the ECO V-6. It really does drive like a car. Easy to park and very comfortable, handles great. It's not a gas guzzling noisy pig like the SUV's.

Kids love the rear dvd too!

We test drove the Sienna too, and we came to exactly the same conclusion. Didn't drive nearly as nice. Besides, I'm not a fan at all of Toyota and how they price their cars. Way too many dealer add-ons.

Again, it might help you to know that there are plenty of other well made cars (some better made) outside of honda and toyota brands. And not big hulkin suvs either. And I cant agree with you that the odyssey drives like a car. Just...No......

Check out my post bottom of page 5.

Generally speaking, leases are great if you dont want to keep the car. If you are keeping the car, buy it.

Benefits of a lease (again, generally speaking on standard leases):

Reduced liability on your part (ever try selling a damaged/repaired car that you OWN? someone sideswipes you in a lease, it gets repaird, and when its due, you hand over the keys, buh bye)

New car on schedule

Always under warranty for duration of ownership (again talking standard 3yr lease)

Many times dealers offer pull forward deals to get people in current leases into new cars - IE you dont have to wait until the end of your lease to get into a new car

Zero concern about depreciation - for many cars - like the AMG someone suggested above - depreciation is a nightmare. With a lease - outside of residual value factoring into your payment, what it's worth in 3 years is of no consequence to you.

There are downsides. First being return on investment. There is none :)

Thanks a lot! Seems to make sense.

Good luck!

Lol, thanks zoony. I was specifically told this by multiple friends about the Subaru and they barred me from purchasing one :ols:

Took the Xterra into the mountains today on inspections with the boss and it handled great in the mountain passes and the falling snow. In the long run, someone totaling my mustang was probably a blessing in disquise. I love the car!

That Honda minivan DEFINITELY drives better than many cars.

Yep. I've driven my sister's to Florida. And let's be real, it's not like I'm super excited to buy a minivan. :ols: But after research, it's the best option. Mid size SUVs with third rows aren't practical because you have to be 5 to fit in the third row and it really eats into your storage/trunk space. The minivan has more room back there and you still get significant space in the rear for luggage/stroller/etc...

Archived