Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Well ES, what car should I get?

Special K

Well, it's that time of year again...for your car to get totalled by an elderly person who shouldn't have their license.

Thankfully, we're both okay, but my car is totalled.

So, I'm in the market for a new, "gently used" car?

I am on the road a lot doing inspections putting about 500-800 miles on my car a week. And I live in Colorado, so I am looking for something with front-wheel or 4-wheel drive.

I'm looking for something under $25,000.

Any suggestions guys?

Outback is generally a nice ride. Might look into a Ford Fusion (I think the sport model is AWD) also although it might be a little bit over the price, but Ford ALWAYS seems to have great deals on cars. Hit up Mayor, he might be able to figure it out better. I know that the 2013 will be more money, but you might find a good 2012 new/used at a good deal.

Nice cars they may be,but I wouldn't own either of the above mentioned cars with the Winter environments out here in mind. Even with some expensive snow tires to go with them. Ground clearance,(which while rare for out here,can still be a bit of a problem), for one and I'm not convinced they handle anywhere close to the same as other,bigger,(not huge,just a bit bigger), vehicles in the type of Winters on the type of roads we have out here. I've see a few of these nice cars on the side of the road,hazards blinking away. This could be one of those times where a bit of a compromise between gas mileage and the ability to drive around in lots of the white stuff on semi frequent basis,(well in a regular Winter anyway),is in order.

http://www.forbes.com/2007/11/01/cars-snow-vehicles-forbeslife-cx_bh_1101cars.html

For the record books,one of the best cars I've driven in the snow that also got decent gas mileage was an old VW bug. Sucker handled the stuff great,(go figure).

I am on the road a lot doing inspections putting about 500-800 miles on my car a week. And I live in Colorado, so I am looking for something with front-wheel or 4-wheel drive.

I'm looking for something under $25,000.

Any suggestions guys?

I would look into a Subaru Outback or a Forester. Anything in the Subaru line would offer good gas mileage, durability, and AWD, especially with the amount of driving you do.

Outback is generally a nice ride. Might look into a Ford Fusion (I think the sport model is AWD) also although it might be a little bit over the price, but Ford ALWAYS seems to have great deals on cars. Hit up Mayor, he might be able to figure it out better. I know that the 2013 will be more money, but you might find a good 2012 new/used at a good deal.

We had a Ford Fusion as a rental car and I surprisingly really liked it. Well, the interior anyway. I don't like the look of the front.

Archived